General Chat

Stevo985

my first car was a Maesto 1.6  ..... My mate was a mechanic so he did it's first service for me , he drained the oil to do the oil change and nothing came out ... I had been getting the red oil light on occasionally as I went around bends at high speed but other than that no real warnings and I'm not the sort of bloke that checks oil in car .. putting in diesel and occasionally checking the tyre pressure and inflating as required  is about as far as my mechanic skills go

so in my experience you can drive a car without oil with no problems whatsoever  ...

Edited by tonyh29
  • Like 2

That's the very reason I said it depended on make Tony :D  I've heard the same story about older generation Ford Fiestas being driven by stereotypically dippy ladies.  Cars being driven for months on absolutely zero oil.  I wouldn't dare try it with new engines as they're fussier and the consequences are far more expensive (I wouldn't dare try it with anything if I'm honest), but some of the older engines were very agricultural and all the better for it :D 

1 hour ago, BOF said:

That's the very reason I said it depended on make Tony :D  I've heard the same story about older generation Ford Fiestas being driven by stereotypically dippy ladies.  Cars being driven for months on absolutely zero oil.  I wouldn't dare try it with new engines as they're fussier and the consequences are far more expensive (I wouldn't dare try it with anything if I'm honest), but some of the older engines were very agricultural and all the better for it :D 

I got the oil changed in mine by my brother (mechanic) few months back. I almost had a heart attack when he started the engine after the change. First few seconds it sounded like he'd filled it with gravel and nails... After 4 or 5 seconds the fresh oil had been worked all the way around the engine and everything settled down. He said Corsa's and Transit's were the worst, took ages for the oil to be pumped all round the engine and nervously waiting for it it stop shaking.

It's a beautiful morning, but jesus it's cold.

I wasn't expecting it because it's warmed up over the last 2 weeks but I stepped out of the office this morning and it was like being slapped.

1 hour ago, StefanAVFC said:

It's a beautiful morning, but jesus it's cold.

I wasn't expecting it because it's warmed up over the last 2 weeks but I stepped out of the office this morning and it was like being slapped.

I feel your pain about now.....

It was the Hungarian winter that made me realise that maybe I should have stayed in England , I'm not cut out for those temperatures and the wind chill , I left the flat one morning got about 40 yards  down the road turned around went back and hugged the radiator for the rest of the day !! I swear I saw a polar bear do the same thing it was that cold 

In countries where it's that cold, do they still do that thing where the temperature of shops and stuff is about 200 degrees like they do here?

Because that's annoying here when you're dressed for the cold and you go into a shop and sweat your balls off. I imagine in a country where you have to dress for those kinds of temperatures it would be doubly annoying.

38 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

In countries where it's that cold, do they still do that thing where the temperature of shops and stuff is about 200 degrees like they do here?

Because that's annoying here when you're dressed for the cold and you go into a shop and sweat your balls off. I imagine in a country where you have to dress for those kinds of temperatures it would be doubly annoying.

Yes, they do.  And my German days were when I was at peak drinking age, so you can take those temperature changes and multiply them by mediaeval hangovers and you can imagine the sort of kipper I was in on a Saturday afternoon.

Is there anything to do in Solihull?

I have to take my cat to a cardiologist there on Monday at 9 and can't pick him up until 5, I live in Nottingham, so there's no point heading home again after I drop him off, which leaves me with 8 hours to kill in Solihull. I'm thinking of going to watch Star Wars, going out for lunch, but that leaves me a few hours...any ideas?

46 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

Is there anything to do in Solihull?

I have to take my cat to a cardiologist there on Monday at 9 and can't pick him up until 5, I live in Nottingham, so there's no point heading home again after I drop him off, which leaves me with 8 hours to kill in Solihull. I'm thinking of going to watch Star Wars, going out for lunch, but that leaves me a few hours...any ideas?

I was going to suggest cinema and a restaurant, but you've got that covered by the looks of it :D

Other than shops and pubs/restauratns there's not much to do in the centre. There's a sports centre if you fancy a swim or a jog :D

There's also a train station where you can get a 15 minute train into Birmingham :)

Edited by Stevo985

Â