General Chat

Stevo985

3 minutes ago, useless said:

Here's a list of the nation's best selling books.

'It's not top on this list: that's got Dan Brown's Da Vinci Code at number one, followed by the Harry Potter novels.

?

I didn't say best-selling, I said best-loved, and named the survey . . .

I didn't say what you did or didn't say lol. Besides, if your talking about the best loved doesn't it follow that people would have bought them and so they'd also be the best selling? Not trying to knock Jane Austen, I just linked that list to show that popular opinion isn't always an indicator of quality.

• Like 1

hmmm, newspaper stats can be all a bit, skewed it would appear Jane A has sold 4 times more books that best selling book of all time.....

Pride and Prejudice - 20,000,000 copies and counting...

Two hundred years after it was first published, Pride and Prejudice has now sold more than 20 million copies

in music news, Snakehips Featuring Tinashe and Chance are currently outselling Mozart, Bach and Shostakovich combined

49 minutes ago, useless said:

I didn't say what you did or didn't say lol. Besides, if your talking about the best loved doesn't it follow that people would have bought them and so they'd also be the best selling? Not trying to knock Jane Austen, I just linked that list to show that popular opinion isn't always an indicator of quality.

Sorry, I thought you were accusing me of lying! My bad. 

The number of copies sold and the esteem the book is held on are obviously correlated, but with plenty of exceptions; loads of people bought The Da Vinci Code but I haven't yet met anyone who said it's their favourite book. 

• Like 1

I'm not altogether sure what I was doing. I suppose a lot of people will have books from authors like Jane Austen in the family library so there's no need to go out and buy it. Plus these days you can read the classics for free on ebooks and whatever else.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, useless said:

I just linked that list to show that popular opinion isn't always an indicator of quality.

That's true, but I'd say it's a better indication than sales.

I was equating popular opinion with sales. Not that there's anything wrong with liking popular stuff. I just wasn't very impressed with the books on that particular list.

Edited by useless

7 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

That's true, but I'd say it's a better indication than sales.

Neither are great, tbh, obviously sales don't mean that the buyers actually think the book is any good, but I don't take any notice of things like books people say that they've read and loved in a poll.

I know a bunch of people who'd list the likes of Pride and Prejudice, and War and Peace in their list favourite books, just for appearances, when they've never read them.

12 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

She wrote some of the nation's favourite novels. Pride & Prejudice was 2nd in the Big Read - ie, the largest ever vote by the British public on their favourite novels, not by critics - and both Persuasion and Emma were in the top 50. Don't confuse the fact that you don't like something with it 'putting kids off reading for life'. 

That was just hipsters voting for something they thought would make them look hip and clever as they read it on a guardian list of books you must like if you wish to appear hip and clever. :)

6 minutes ago, CarewsEyebrowDesigner said:

I didn't like Pride & Prejudice. Sure, it is satire, but it wears thin very quickly for anyone who finds middle-class twerps fussing about marriage anything other than mind-numbingly dull.

Plenty of interesting stuff in it, but a tedious read all the same.

Despite your profile picture, I have reason to believe you're not part of the main demographic group that enjoys P & P . . .

She wrote some of the nation's favourite novels. Pride & Prejudice was 2nd in the Big Read - ie, the largest ever vote by the British public on their favourite novels, not by critics - and both Persuasion and Emma were in the top 50. Don't confuse the fact that you don't like something with it 'putting kids off reading for life'. 

That was just hipsters voting for something they thought would make them look hip and clever as they read it on a guardian list of books you must like if you wish to appear hip and clever. [emoji4]

You are wrong, and displaying inverted snobbery.

BTW, War and Peace is one of my favourite books.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

I'd have thought the "comedy" was obvious  but I guess not  , VT does seem to have got very touchy to irreverent posts of late  ..

but tbh  any lists are bollocks in the main be it best guitarists  or best film or the nations favourite serial killer  ... it's all subjective  , 

I'm compiling a list of the nation's favourite lists:

1.0 Shopping 

2.0 Celbrity nip slips

3.0 Funny pictures of Ed Milliband

4.0 Cat gifs

5.0 Funny Vines whatever they are

6.0 Curry

7.0 Old TV Comedies

8.0 Questions I've answered on UC / Mastermind

the list isn't finished, I still need to include more Rachel Riley, a dig at Piers Morgan, Top Gear and fish fingers

• Like 2

I'd have thought the "comedy" was obvious  but I guess not  , VT does seem to have got very touchy to irreverent posts of late  ..

but tbh  any lists are bollocks in the main be it best guitarists  or best film or the nations favourite serial killer  ... it's all subjective  , 

Yeah, sorry. Irony fail.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

I'm compiling a list of the nation's favourite lists:

1.0 Shopping 

2.0 Celbrity nip slips

3.0 Funny pictures of Ed Milliband

4.0 Cat gifs

5.0 Funny Vines whatever they are

6.0 Curry

7.0 Old TV Comedies

8.0 Questions I've answered on UC / Mastermind

the list isn't finished, I still need to include more Rachel Riley, a dig at Piers Morgan, Top Gear and fish fingers

the nations favourite fish fingers is a TV show I need to see  ..maybe we can combine it with the Rachel Riley program  (snigger)

Â