General Chat

Stevo985

5 hours ago, Michelsen said:

Interesting. Wierdly, I like - admire, even - some of his works a lot but sometimes feel I could have written them better myself.

Just promise to employ a proofreader, yeah? ;) 

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Got my boiler fixed. Properly!

My radiators are actually hot, rather than their usual lukewarm temperature.

When did you last have it serviced?

Just now, Genie said:

Mine is so old I'm scared to get it serviced incase it disturbs something and breaks it! 

It's one of those things that you really should get serviced regularly. If you don't, at least make sure you have a CO alarm in the house.

I'd rather it failed when there was an engineer right there to fix it :)

• Like 1

First day back in the office after working from home for ten days with tendonitis.

Foot is now throbbing again and I'm smacked up to the eyeballs on opiate based painkillers :(

28 minutes ago, limpid said:

It's one of those things that you really should get serviced regularly. If you don't, at least make sure you have a CO alarm in the house.

I'd rather it failed when there was an engineer right there to fix it :)

I have one and it saved our lives!

Couple of years back bleeping in the middle of the night, jumped out of bed thinking fire but was dazed and disorientated. (Like when you stop in a hotel, get drunk then in the night need a piss but forgot where the bathroom was :D).

Went downstairs all was well, same upstairs too. Then realised noise was coming from the airing cupboard where the boiler is! Of course opened all the windows and called the emergency gas number who blanked off the gas supply.

Got a plumber out next day who checked everything out and found the problem. 

Turns out that I must have disturbed the flue in the loft when I went up to put the cases back (we'd just got back from Centre Parcs). There was a gap in one of the joints and it was leaking CO into the loft which eventually dropped into the airing cupboard. He said newer ones are all screwed together but push fit used to be allowed. He screwed it all together tight (and reconnected the gas).

Isn't worth thinking about what might have happened without that alarm. Luckily the children's rooms are other side of the house to the boiler!

So yes, if you're reading this and don't own a Carbon Monoxide alarm buy one! 

Edited by Genie
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, limpid said:

And your radiators weren't hot afterwards? That would worry me.

They were hot, I was exaggerating slightly.. Hot enough for me not to think there was anything wrong.

But they are noticeably hotter after the fix today.

Edited by Stevo985

35 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

They were hot, I was exaggerating slightly.. Hot enough for me not to think there was anything wrong.

But they are noticeably hotter after the fix today.

Are you sure he hasn't just turned the water temperature dial up on the front of the boiler :D

Radiator-Temperature.jpg

On 1/17/2016 at 17:27, coda said:

Was forced to read Jane Austen at school. It's like they're trying to put school kids off reading for life.

She wrote some of the nation's favourite novels. Pride & Prejudice was 2nd in the Big Read - ie, the largest ever vote by the British public on their favourite novels, not by critics - and both Persuasion and Emma were in the top 50. Don't confuse the fact that you don't like something with it 'putting kids off reading for life'. 

• Like 1

Â