Team of the 00's - Central defence - Laursen's partner

colleh

233 members have voted

1. 1. ....

• Gareth Southgate
    • Olof Mellberg

Assuming the team is about players in peak form and fitness, Gareth Southgate. Better player than Olof. Better player than Laursen. Shame the way he left, but I think we all know that was the fault of the club, not the player.

But it's about how they played for us in the naughties. Southgate hardly played for us this decade whilst Mellberg was one of our best players for quite a few seasons. For me, Olof should get it.

Its how you interpret the question I guess. For me its about the best players, and Southgate was a better player than Ollie (though Mellberg will go down in history as one of the finest servants to Aston Villa FC I guess.)

I counted up on Soccerbase, and between January 3rd 2000 (away at Leeds, where he scored twice in a 2-1 win!) and May 19th 2001 (away at Newcastle, lost 0-3) Gareth Southgate played 55 times for Aston Villa.

Martin Laursen made 96 appearances for us between his debut on August 14th 2004 (home to Southampton, won 2-0) and his final game on January 10th 2009 (home to Ollybuyiun, won 2-1).

So what makes the criteria? Neither player made 100 appearances for us this decade. Laursen struggled to make 25 games a season and only played one game in 2005/06 (on the opening day of the season.)

Its not number of games for me, its ability. Its a shame to leave Mellberg out of the team, but he wouldnt be in my team of this decade.

Assuming the team is about players in peak form and fitness, Gareth Southgate. Better player than Olof. Better player than Laursen. Shame the way he left, but I think we all know that was the fault of the club, not the player.

But it's about how they played for us in the naughties. Southgate hardly played for us this decade whilst Mellberg was one of our best players for quite a few seasons. For me, Olof should get it.

Its how you interpret the question I guess. For me its about the best players, and Southgate was a better player than Ollie (though Mellberg will go down in history as one of the finest servants to Aston Villa FC I guess.)

I counted up on Soccerbase, and between January 3rd 2000 (away at Leeds, where he scored twice in a 2-1 win!) and May 19th 2001 (away at Newcastle, lost 0-3) Gareth Southgate played 55 times for Aston Villa.

Martin Laursen made 96 appearances for us between his debut on August 14th 2004 (home to Southampton, won 2-0) and his final game on January 10th 2009 (home to Ollybuyiun, won 2-1).

So what makes the criteria? Neither player made 100 appearances for us this decade. Laursen struggled to make 25 games a season and only played one game in 2005/06 (on the opening day of the season.)

Its not number of games for me, its ability. Its a shame to leave Mellberg out of the team, but he wouldnt be in my team of this decade.

I agree with this, so voted for Southgate.

Olof Mellberg is one of my all time Villa favourites, for his attitude and The Beard alone, but Southgate was the better player.

Mellberg. Southgate was a better defender, but Ollys overall play in the 90s outweights Gareths.

* 00s

(What's the space between the * and the '00s' for?)

I don't get the idea that Southgate was better as a player so should get the nod over Mellberg. Mellberg probably gae a few great and probably a hundred or so good performances this decade, while Southgate couldn't possibly have played that many game at that level. In any case, looks like Olly has run away with it. Wish we could have seen more of Laursen-Mellberg in real life. :(

Â