Team of the 00's - Central defence - Laursen's partner

colleh

233 members have voted

1. 1. ....

• Gareth Southgate
    • Olof Mellberg

alpay only had 18 months of good performances imo, after that he was either awol or shit

In fairness he got injured around 18 months in and when he got back wanted a move to Germany and was dropped for the season and then when he got back in the team under DOL he looked like getting to his best again until he was sacked for a stupid reason.

What non-English guy didnt want to have a go at Beckham at the time

alpay only had 18 months of good performances imo, after that he was either awol or shit

In fairness he got injured around 18 months in and when he got back wanted a move to Germany and was dropped for the season and then when he got back in the team under DOL he looked like getting to his best again until he was sacked for a stupid reason.

What non-English guy didnt want to have a go at Beckham at the time

he wasnt getting back to his best imo, scored against charlton and that was about it

02/03 he was abysmal when he played, for example in the first derby he was skinned up for one of the goals (maybe horsfield??)

i dont deny that he was excellent 00/01 and when he played in 01/02 but he was a bit of a liability after that, either playing shit or throwing his toys out of the pram

Although Olaf was a superb player for us, I wanted him at RB for the team of the decade...Southgate was a tremendous player, and what he lacked in pace his intelligence made up for it..The epitomine of a world class player and although a close call I have gone for the gate.

Gareth was defo the better player for me - very mature and calm, an excellent organiser and leader.

I loved Ollie and the way he loved the Villa but he was too nice for me. When he did lose it he was so obvious. Also, he was very easy for the bigger no. 9's, e.g. Emil for the Blues, to move around. I suppose, playing alongside Martin, this would have been covered by Martin.

Â