The Concert/Gig Thread

chrisp65

On 06/02/2020 at 15:27, Designer1 said:

Ooooooooo - Let me know how they are (I love a bit of Snapped Ankles me)

Mental! Much more rough and anarchic than they are on record, they also seem to have added an extra stand up drummer. I enjoyed them a lot. Definitely recommend going to see them

Beak> were good too, a bit of a jump up in venue size for them and it suited them, the extra power in the PA definitely gave it a different edge. I thoroughly enjoyed them but I think I may now be all Beak>ed out until they release some new material

• Thanks 1

Liam Gallagher and rage against the machine announced as 2 of the headliners for reading and the yoof are losing their shit :lol:

As much as a fan as I am Liam as a festival headliner is a stretch, he'll definitely bring the lad crowd with him though

Last year was the 1975 post malone and foo fighters which for me is a shambles 

3 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Liam Gallagher and rage against the machine announced as 2 of the headliners for reading and the yoof are losing their shit :lol:

As much as a fan as I am Liam as a festival headliner is a stretch, he'll definitely bring the lad crowd with him though

I’ve moaned a few times lately that festival line ups the past few years have been shite , I saw Wolf Alice on a small stage in Madrid about 93rd on the bill a couple of ye

even Hyde Park this year apart from Pearl Jam the other options are Little Mix , Taylor Swift and Kendrick Lemar ... you couldn’t pay me to watch those 3 acts 

saw Liam supporting the stones the other year , ok he was the support , but he was utter garbage ... ditto Noel when he supported U2.... sooner they stop ducking about and put the band back together sooner we can stop listening to their crap solo material 

3 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

sooner they stop ducking about and put the band back together sooner we can stop listening to their crap solo material

and listen to the crap they did together?

The sooner they both retire permanently the better

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, bickster said:

@Xann is this any good do you know?

Wide Awake London

Interesting line up and I'm tempted to break my "hate festivals" vibe as its got a decent line-up and its just around the corner from the daughter

Never done a paid festival in Brockwell in all honesty, though I've passed by a couple. They really stank of weed :)

Paid urban festivals in the parks are usually a bit tame. The free ones generally have a less ruly crowd,  and that can go both ways 😮 

That said your one isn't terribly expensive. Brixton is quite cool these days.

You could eat in the market. Saunter to the gig. Have a pleasant afternoon and evening watching bands you like. Then either an easy bus back to Balham (actually tube too, both stations are 24Hr at the weekend), or pile into Brixton.

There are worse ways to spend a day.

A better intense musical experience would be something like Desertfest, which is across a number of actual venues in Camden.

14 hours ago, villa4europe said:

I don't have Twitter but have read the comments on there via Kerrang's FB, it seems 99% of people think the line up is the worst ever. I mean would you pay a festival day-ticket price just to see RATM? I wouldn't. And there's no one else on I'd want to see even if someone else paid.

Reading used to be the metal festival but I think the emergence has seen them go the way of V.  Rage would have been a standard Reading name in the past but now they are preceded by the **** Courteeners.

Gone are the days of Dillinger Escape Plan pooing in a bag and throwing it.

14 hours ago, bickster said:

and listen to the crap they did together?

The sooner they both retire permanently the better

I looked at the line up you were deeming "interesting "  with potential to break your festival hate 

Snapped ankles  .. 12 secs of a song on you tube, and I was wishing i was listening to Queen instead it was that bad

Automatic  - nope

Beak - if you could mute the vocalist I might give that a bit longer

Black midi --- arggghh my ears make it stop

I think I'll stick to the 41 million album sales , Oasis 

• Like 1

I don't think I'd have ever described Reading as a metal festival. They've certainly had some good metal acts there, but it's never been exclusive. It's typically just been kind of middle of the road rock for the most part, but they've always been unashamed about just inviting the biggest names they could get.

Most of the heavier acts just go to Download these days. More of a Bloodstock man myself. :D 

• Like 1

its a strange line up, think the most accurate description ive seen is that it doesn't know what it wants to be any more, following on from 1975 and post Malone last year (which for me is terrible) they've gone with older acts and more traditional, stormzy aside obviously who wont top his glasto performance so will always feel a bit shit

courteeners on before RATM rather than on before LG, Gerry cinnamon that high up (to me its blindingly obvious it should have gone JC, courteeners, LG which would be a LADs wet dream) idles on before AJ Tracey, AJ Tracey headlining, in general the headliners for the radio 1 stage are disappointing, outside of the top 2 bands on each stage each night and who is there? run the jewells, slowthai and dc fontaines so its poor in the day (there will be secret sets etc)

im not sure if the growth in small - medium size festivals has taken a bit hit on reading, where are the likes of royal blood, wolf alice, catfish, Bombay bicycle club, Ashcroft, wombats, DMAs, blossoms, or even older bands like doves, twang, kooks, johnny marr, coral? they're all playing the 8pm slot somewhere like y not rather than the 3pm slot at reading

also surprising seeing as the album is out on Friday that no one seems to have signed up tame impala to headline (that ive seen anyway) also missing foals and the strokes

50 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

Snapped ankles  .. 12 secs of a song on you tube, and I was wishing i was listening to Queen instead it was that bad

Absolutely great. Saw them at the weekend, totally different live to on record

50 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

Automatic  - nope

Yes, great fun band who've pretty much stolen bits from every original post-punk band, they interest me and they do a great cover of Mind Your Own Business by the Delta 5

52 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

Beak - if you could mute the vocalist I might give that a bit longer

Blandy agrees with you, but he likes gravy on fish

52 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

Black midi --- arggghh my ears make it stop

Agree, not a fan, though the new single is different

Never had you down as a Celine Dion fan

• Haha 1

that sunday in 2003 is what I mean, the big festivals cant get that kind of depth any more, the streets and the libertines 5th and 6th on the bill just doesn't happen, they can go play 2nd or headline a smaller festival instead

its also easier with hindsight but I just don't see an Interpol or biffy clyro, black keys etc kicking round the carling stage either

1 hour ago, rjw63 said:

I don't have Twitter but have read the comments on there via Kerrang's FB, it seems 99% of people think the line up is the worst ever. I mean would you pay a festival day-ticket price just to see RATM? I wouldn't. And there's no one else on I'd want to see even if someone else paid.

i 100% would (and am going to). a day ticket costs the same as a big gig anyway...around the £70/£80 mark which is how much any gig at the O2 arena costs these days. plus you get to see a load of other bands.

7 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

Could festival line ups not being as good as they used to be, be linked in any way to most of us being 20 years older than we were 20 years ago?

I agree with the theory but then also think music is on its ass at the moment with very little of interest coming through, especially compared to the 00s which was jam packed with great bands

going back to 2002 reading, the strokes headlining whilst the libertines opened the radio 1 stage on the Sunday, followed by them being 6th on the bill the year after, what a story that tells, for all the buzz and fond memories once the fuss had died down the strokes are a better band who did have their own huge buzz

Â