The Concert/Gig Thread

chrisp65

Just now, villa4europe said:

I agree with the theory but then also think music is on its ass at the moment with very little of interest coming through, especially compared to the 00s which was jam packed with great bands

going back to 2002 reading, the strokes headlining whilst the libertines opened the radio 1 stage on the Sunday, followed by them being 6th on the bill the year after, what a story that tells, for all the buzz and fond memories once the fuss had died down the strokes are a better band who did have their own huge buzz

Nah. 

That’s exactly my point. There’s a million interesting things happening at the moment and I never liked the Libertines.

So it’s just the opinion of people who have slipped out of the festival age profile.

It’s classic, if you go back to Villa Talk 1960, you’d have had people of a certain age listening to Empire FM and complaining Gerry and the Pacemakers were nowhere near as good as Gene Kruppa.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

Nah. 

That’s exactly my point. There’s a million interesting things happening at the moment and I never liked the Libertines.

So it’s just the opinion of people who have slipped out of the festival age profile.

It’s classic, if you go back to Villa Talk 1960, you’d have had people of a certain age listening to Empire FM and complaining Gerry and the Pacemakers were nowhere near as good as Gene Kruppa.

To me guitar music has gone a bit middle class and as a result a bit wet and boring, when the 1975 are considered the biggest / best band in the country you've got problems 

There's some good stuff out there like idles and then slightly older wolf Alice but I don't see anyone breaking through to become a huuuuge band

That's why love him or loathe him Liam Gallagher is still somehow relevant, no one has replaced him 

There's nowhere near the quality of the indie disco scene of the early 00s

3 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

If I recall correctly, when the strokes headlined I was grumbling that they couldnt be a headliner with only one bloody (great) album under their belts.

That was exactly my thoughts with stormzy and glasto, hasn't got enough songs to do it

10 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

Nah. 

That’s exactly my point. There’s a million interesting things happening at the moment

Yep this. I've said it a million times but there's a ridiculous amount of new and exciting music coming out every week. For nearly ten years now I've had a weekly ritual where I listen to a minimum of 3 new albums (usually bands I've never heard before and it's usually more than 3) and that coupled with word of mouth from mates, reading the relevant music sites/social media etc and even something as simple as using Spotify's 'Discover Weekly' (which is bloody great tbh) should mean there's never a shortage.

• Like 4

Ah we might be talking about different things, I’m talking new / interesting / undiscovered yada yada yada.

I think I’ve probably got a bit of an aversion to huge name stadium rock headliner schtick.

There are plenty of small festivals and psych and noise festivals and noodling festivals going on. Indie labels releasing sampler albums. Damn, even the local Uni here issues an album sampler every year of the bands on their music degree course. There was a Welsh Music day last week, I’d consider myself fairly up on that, I didn’t recognise about 80% of it on display in a single shop! 

I think there’s probably more out there and more variety than ever before. But perhaps that diversity is actually causing the lack of a universally known ‘headliner’? I dunno, pure speculation but perhaps the days of Oasis being on TOTP and the 3 main music papers and magazines are gone, and so instant mass audience acceptance has gone? 

New headlining rock god, I dunno, but I still suspect there’s an age thing going on there. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Designer1 said:

Yep this. I've said it a million times but there's a ridiculous amount of new and exciting music coming out every week. For nearly ten years now I've had a weekly ritual where I listen to a minimum of 3 new albums (usually bands I've never heard before and it's usually more than 3) and that coupled with word of mouth from mates, reading the relevant music sites/social media etc and even something as simple as using Spotify's 'Discover Weekly' (which is bloody great tbh) should mean there's never a shortage.

The new release playlist Spotify makes for you every friday is even better for this.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Designer1 said:

see my review of "new music" from Bicks festival line up

every time i venture in to new music  ...i instantly regret it and leave and go back to my King Biscuit Flower Hour CD sets 

Couple of years back Wolf Alice played way down low on the bill at  a festival I went to , they were OK , I endured it partly as I enjoyed it , partly as I was hoping the lead singer might fall out of her low cut top   .... This year they are third on the bill (after Taylor Swift and 21 pilots)   , no way would I buy a ticket  for a festival where they are 3rd billing

A lot of people seem to like Wolf Alice, they are quite a big act gig sales wise. Not sure why, personally I think they are bang average but third on the bill at a small to medium sized festival is about right. They'd be in the stay in the bar and watch the last two songs category for me

• Like 1

wolf alice for me are the same as royal blood, like I said I think guitar music has gone a bit wet, they however have a little bit of bite to them making them stand out, since they've come out idles and DC Fontaine have taken it up a notch (im surprised idles especially aren't headlining a 2nd stage at a good sized festival)

8 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

wolf alice for me are the same as royal blood, like I said I think guitar music has gone a bit wet, they however have a little bit of bite to them making them stand out, since they've come out idles and DC Fontaine have taken it up a notch (im surprised idles especially aren't headlining a 2nd stage at a good sized festival)

I suspect Idles are concentrating on new material this year, after their success last year they need new product to keep the momentum going. Thats what decent management would be telling them anyway as there's a lot of competition in that little sector. Fontaines, Shame, Murder Capital... there's quite a long list of shouty, guitar bands around right now, if they leave the next album too long the scene may have fizzled out and they'll be forgotten

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

see my review of "new music" from Bicks festival line up

every time i venture in to new music  ...i instantly regret it and leave and go back to my King Biscuit Flower Hour CD sets 

Couple of years back Wolf Alice played way down low on the bill at  a festival I went to , they were OK , I endured it partly as I enjoyed it , partly as I was hoping the lead singer might fall out of her low cut top   .... This year they are third on the bill (after Taylor Swift and 21 pilots)   , no way would I buy a ticket  for a festival where they are 3rd billing

Maybe you are listening to the wrong new music. I listen to a lot of new music but none of it really is what is in the new music thread as that's not my taste.

Worked Leeds both those years. Mad that it was 18 years ago 😮

Slipknot got right into Axl Rose and he had a hissy fit.

The Strokes couldn't believe it. I don't think they'd done a festival that size, and suddenly they were abroad in a backstage area surrounded by global stadium bands.

They were sat around a table facing each other. Occasionally one would look around or over their shoulder at who was around, then turn back to their collective to excitedly report what they'd just seen?

• Like 1

I stopped with Leeds and Reading about 7 years ago but I never felt at the time that lineups were insanely good, good or average but it's hindsight at what those bands have become that makes them look better than they are. 

33 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

I stopped with Leeds and Reading about 7 years ago but I never felt at the time that lineups were insanely good, good or average but it's hindsight at what those bands have become that makes them look better than they are. 

I think I last went in 1995... 

used to live Reading as a festival though, some great bands played there. 

1994 was possibly my favourite 

B073DA5D-372B-4B84-88B2-3327E08483FE.jpeg

• Like 4

Â