The Concert/Gig Thread

chrisp65

Had a blast from the past last night taking in the Turin Brakes acoustic tour. Haven’t seen them since the early 2000s.

what a great little band, who can play and sing just as well live as in the recording studio. 

really nice vibe throughout and played for just under 2hrs. 

Sure, it was nothing cutting edge or current but just great to watch four guys who know how to play their instruments and clearly enjoy doing so.

trying to get a FNM ticket this morning having missed the prerelease yesterday due to work commitments :( 

This was the magnificent venue last night. I've never heard John Head sing so well, he needs a deal (Heavenly Recordings are you listening...). For something I didn't even know was on until 18:30 last night... I had a great time.

detail_St_George_s_Hall__-_063_-__unwate

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, bickster said:

This was the magnificent venue last night. I've never heard John Head sing so well, he needs a deal (Heavenly Recordings are you listening...). For something I didn't even know was on until 18:30 last night... I had a great time.

detail_St_George_s_Hall__-_063_-__unwate

Had to Mooney him and his bands, but that is a pretty stunning venue!

• Like 1

How does somebody with no record deal get to play a venue like that? 

Incidentally, I checked out John Head on YT, and he struck me as inoffensive, mildly pleasant, but ultimately very, very ordinary - the sort of thing you'd get at an average open mic night. What am I missing here? 

36 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

How does somebody with no record deal get to play a venue like that? 

Very loyal local following built up since the 80's. Also self-promoted, rental of the venue isn't that high, it's run by the council. If that gig last night had been promoted properly it woulds have sold out at least twice. (there were spare seats)

36 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Incidentally, I checked out John Head on YT, and he struck me as inoffensive, mildly pleasant, but ultimately very, very ordinary - the sort of thing you'd get at an average open mic night. What am I missing here

There isn't a video on Youtube that does him justice tbh, even the ones from last night. There's rarely a record out there that does him justice either. It's been a lifelong thing for him and his brother, never got the breaks, never satisfied with recordings etc They once recorded an album they were satisfied with as Shack, the tapes burned in a fire... very few people have heard it.

John won't put out records now because he thinks he has better material around the corner, he's got lots of unreleased recordings, albums upon albums worth... he is his own worst enemy

• Like 1

Just now, bickster said:

@mjmooney

The song Cornish Town's studio version. They were never happy with it. This was their best selling album in the guise of Shack. Personally I think its great

Oh yeah, I remember hearing that album. Thought it was OK, but I tend to lump it in with all the other 'Britpop' stuff of the time. 

Went to see Dinosaur Pile Up Sunday night at the Institute 2 (good gig).

Beforehand as usual we had a beer in The Big Bulls Head next door. At around 7.15 pm in the bar, the most godawful Elvis impersonator started up. I mean, they are usually shit anyway but this one was indeed The King (Of Tripe).

Gig finished around 11pm, and walking back past the pub to get a cab the shite Elvis was STILL singing...four hours later.I have no idea why the place wasn't deserted.

• Haha 1

Shed Seven were rather excellent last night in Brixton , don’t think I’ve been to a gig before where the crowd were still singing the last song out on the street after they left the venue (chasing Rainbows) ... even the  SWT strike meaning we couldn’t get home didn't dampen the evening ... the mosh pit was one of the sweatiest I’ve been in for a while and if that wasn’t enough 02 were offering buy one get one free on beer via their app ....

ears are still ringing and the head is a bit fuzzy this morning but well worth it 

• Like 2

On 10/12/2019 at 11:33, rjw63 said:

Went to see Dinosaur Pile Up Sunday night at the Institute 2 (good gig).

Beforehand as usual we had a beer in The Big Bulls Head next door. At around 7.15 pm in the bar, the most godawful Elvis impersonator started up. I mean, they are usually shit anyway but this one was indeed The King (Of Tripe).

Gig finished around 11pm, and walking back past the pub to get a cab the shite Elvis was STILL singing...four hours later.I have no idea why the place wasn't deserted.

What was the gig like? 

Â