The Concert/Gig Thread

chrisp65

58 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

I am going by myself. I am OK with that.

Me and her were walking past a venue that had BB King playing that evening, about to start.

BB King.

I said we should check if there were any return tickets as you never know your luck.

Asked the box office person and they said YES!!! But only one.

Without even turning my head or hesitating: ‘that’s fine, I’ll take it’

She went home on the train.

2 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

Me and her were walking past a venue that had BB King playing that evening, about to start.

BB King.

I said we should check if there were any return tickets as you never know your luck.

Asked the box office person and they said YES!!! But only one.

Without even turning my head or hesitating: ‘that’s fine, I’ll take it’

She went home on the train.

I have gigged aloe a few times, sometimes its because my wife doesnt like the music, or the genre, I get that one a lot. Some times I see that there is a really good single seat.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

I have gigged aloe a few times, sometimes its because my wife doesnt like the music, or the genre, I get that one a lot. Some times I see that there is a really good single seat.

Gig buddies is a tricky thing. Has to be someone that wants the same gig build up as you, has an interest in the band or is open to trying something new. Not a talker, not a wall flower, not a fight starter.

I have different folks for different bands. 

I get a strangely happy buzz going along on my own to something where I just know once I get there I’ll know people. Lovely Eggs are good for that. Super Furries was another. Just buy a ticket and meet people there. 

• Like 1

My mate Joe appears to have blagged us guest list for the Monochrome Set a week tomorrow, in Jimmy's which I yet to go to a gig at, so another Liverpool venue to tick off the list and a band I haven't seen live since the 80's, should be good. Only beer money needed

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, bickster said:

My mate Joe appears to have blagged us guest list for the Monochrome Set a week tomorrow, in Jimmy's which I yet to go to a gig at, so another Liverpool venue to tick off the list and a band I haven't seen live since the 80's, should be good. Only beer money needed

Saw them at Rebellion punk festival a few years back, they were excellent.  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

Gig buddies is a tricky thing. Has to be someone that wants the same gig build up as you, has an interest in the band or is open to trying something new. Not a talker, not a wall flower, not a fight starter.

I have different folks for different bands. 

I get a strangely happy buzz going along on my own to something where I just know once I get there I’ll know people. Lovely Eggs are good for that. Super Furries was another. Just buy a ticket and meet people there. 

went to a GnR gig at London stadium with a couple of mates that Mrs H was also at with some of hers ... randomly I bumped into her on my way back from the bar , we had a little dance / pogo together then went back to our respective mates , mine down the front with the sweaty drunk blokes , her in the relative comfort of some seats

we share quite a few bands that we both like but invariably choose to go with mates rather than each other , only time we go specifically with each other is if it’s a couples thing or if it’s a band that literally no other person on the planet wants to go see , so the other one goes to offer some moral support :) 

Mrs H has Whitesnake  , GnR , Killers, Kiss  with her friends .. and  green day , Avril Lavage and  Hollywood vampires with our daughter booked this year so far , thankfully I’ve not had to offer moral support on any of those 

I’ve only got Dodgy , Peter Hook and Pearl Jam so far this year , the huge sigh of relief Mrs H gave out when a mate said he wouldn’t mind coming to Pearl Jam with me suggests she’s not a big fan :)

works for us ...

Edited by tonyh29
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

went to a GnR gig at London stadium with a couple of mates that Mrs H was also at with some of hers ... randomly I bumped into her on my way back from the bar , we had a little dance / pogo together then went back to our respective mates , mine down the front with the sweaty drunk blokes , her in the relative comfort of some seats

we share quite a few bands that we both like but invariably choose to go with mates rather than each other , only time we go specifically with each other is if it’s a couples thing or if it’s a band that literally no other person on the planet wants to go see , so the other one goes to offer some moral support :) 

Mrs H has Whitesnake  , GnR , Killers, Kiss  with her friends .. and  green day , Avril Lavage and  Hollywood vampires with our daughter booked this year so far , thankfully I’ve not had to offer moral support on any of those 

I’ve only got Dodgy , Peter Hook and Pearl Jam so far this year , the huge sigh of relief Mrs H gave out when a mate said he wouldn’t mind coming to Pearl Jam with me suggests she’s not a big fan :)

works for us ...

Did you marry her because her taste in music made yours look good?

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

A few years back I was coerced into being gig buddy for my old man to go and see Brian May.

Worst night of my **** life, and I’ve been to a Beverly Craven concert.

I still shiver when I see a bloke with a perm.

I actually ended up in a gay pub with my dad, 24 years older than me and rocking the double denim.

16 minutes ago, bickster said:

Did you marry her because her taste in music made yours look good?

Think it was more to do with English not being her first language and she confused Hell No with yes :)

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

A few years back I was coerced into being gig buddy for my old man to go and see Brian May.

Worst night of my **** life, and I’ve been to a Beverly Craven concert.

I still shiver when I see a bloke with a perm.

I actually ended up in a gay pub with my dad, 24 years older than me and rocking the double denim.

Accompanied someone in the early 90s to see Extreme at Wembley Arena. I questioned my life choices. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

The Creepshow, Canadian punk band, played in Stafford last night and for old time sake popped to see them. We have a fairly good venue in Stafford, Redrum, although the promoters are intent on  putting on punk acts or 2003 emo acts. Last night was the first gig there I had been to. I rarely listen to punk these days and I saw the 2003 emo acts first time round so have no need or desire to go see them again.

The venue itself was pretty good, and although my wife insisted on being near the front, I am relatively confident my hearing will recover. The Creepshow were fine, the members might change and I have seen most incarnations of them, but their schtick that most punk/psychobilly bands do hasnt changed at all. Through circumstance I have seen Green Day around 5 times spread over many years and they could be accused of this too, same for King Kurt. The Creepshow seem more scripted than most, guitarist with wireless pack goes into crowd, female vocalist climbs on to double bass. 10 years ago I found all of this entertaining, now its just ok.

So thats it for the foreseeable. today I will have a look to see if there are any country gigs I can get to.

I saw the Monochrome Set at Jimmys in Liverpool on Saturday, they were ok if a little under rehearsed. We were talking to the keyboard player after the gig (my mate Joe was in the Blue Orchids with him) and they were a bit amazed at the turnout as they expected it to be a very quiet gig as it was just a warm up / first gig of the year as a prelude to some American dates. That really did come across too as there were a number of technical issues that a fully up to speed band wouldn't have had, wrong settings on equipment etc.

The band played a mixture of their latest material and the well known stuff from their past, so the set was ok

The venue is crap, odd shape in a basement and  completely useless technical staff. The bass players mic wasn't even turned on for the first song and when they pointed this out, the sound engineer was erm... absent. In the end, the bloke taking the money on the door had to come and plug it in (I kid ye not) and then go onto the sound desk to turn it up, quite farcical really.

It'll take some persuading for me to go back to Jimmy's

2 hours ago, Tomaszk said:

Bombay Bicycle Club have grown into a very good live act.

Plenty in the back catalogue to choose from as well.

play here in april I think, not fussed by the new album but never seen them before so very tempted

saw catfish and the bottlemen last week, there's a band that sounded great when they came out and then have just never progressed, got no real stage presence either, the time between songs has got better but it blacking out and silence has always been shite, I saw them in a nightclub with maybe 1500 people, playing to 18k people in the UK, that seems madness to me, just not good enough (BBC playing same venue)

got Liam on the 10th, that's 4k people

1 minute ago, villa4europe said:

play here in april I think, not fussed by the new album but never seen them before so very tempted

saw catfish and the bottlemen last week, there's a band that sounded great when they came out and then have just never progressed, got no real stage presence either, the time between songs has got better but it blacking out and silence has always been shite, I saw them in a nightclub with maybe 1500 people, playing to 18k people in the UK, that seems madness to me, just not good enough (BBC playing same venue)

got Liam on the 10th, that's 4k people

I'd highly recommend a trip to see them.

They get loads more live out of middling album tracks from years gone by and the new stuff crowds don't know as well which is always a good sign.

Their music was always a level above the million "indie" bands popping up around 10 years ago, now they've got some presence to go with it.

10 hours ago, dAVe80 said:

No tickets purchased yet, but got Gentleman's Dub Club, and High on Fire penciled in. 

I'm off to see them again in Nottingham this year. They always put on a good (and bloody loud) show.

• Like 1

Just now, bickster said:

The support band Snapped Ankles is the real clincher for the decision though

Ooooooooo - Let me know how they are (I love a bit of Snapped Ankles me)

• Like 1

Â