25 members have voted

1. 1. Pick

• Yes
    • No - we need to work as a team
    • No - I distrust employees from being out of sight
    • No - a working environment creates better results

This poll is closed to new votes

On 12/09/2023 at 18:03, Xela said:

I see the benefit of being in an office, its good for the new starters and younger people, but I think they could have been more flexible about days/hours etc. It feels like a huge misstep and a lot of goodwill has been lost. 

This was always going to be the rub for me. 

We're still 2 days in and no way could we ever get everyone in 5 days a week. Nowhere near enough seats in the current office. 

It worked perfectly for us but it was a very mature office, loads of trusted long standing employees. Everyone knows what they're about and what everyone else is about. 

But in the last couple of years we've had lots of retirees and a few leave and a lot of trainees and new starters. 

It's so hard to integrate properly, train, get to know people. It's just going to get more fragmented with time too. 

I can totally see the need to get people in more often. I'll resist as much as possible though. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Davkaus said:

Like most people I get spammed job descriptions all the time from recruiters who've found my CV somewhere, I thought it was worth burning this recruitment agency as a potential contact by responding to one they sent me with the below excerpt and a simple "LOL"

because you want to work in the office more? or less?

i personally prefer being in so i'm in the office 5 days a week. we're now mandated to do minumum 3 days (people are being sacked in extreme cases of not playing ball)

i have to say, that was what i hated most about lockdown. just couldn't concentrate at home...plus i learned that my mrs has a really annoying work call voice and uses expressions such as "circle back" and "lets get our ducks in a row"

• Haha 3

On 12/09/2023 at 20:12, Paddywhack said:

I started a new job last year and it’s quite an in-depth role with a lot to learn. You also have to communicate a lot with colleagues.

With everybody doing 3 days at home a week, I feel like it’s probably taken me 3 times as long to learn/get trained on my role and build a rapport with colleagues, or even just put a face to a name.

I’d say that’s my only criticism of it though. The flexibility of working from home has really allowed me to keep my masturbation schedule.

Always reminds me of this from Big Train 

https://youtu.be/VKH9ECC_Qa4?si=5X_K4f_C3Pa-Jq7M

Edited by luckyeddie
Remove picture
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 12/09/2023 at 22:07, leemond2008 said:

A lad started at my place just a few moths ago, for some reason they decided that I had to mentor him, first thing I said was ask him how often he's willing to go into the office because I'm not doing it over Teams.

Luckily he lives local as well so 4 or 5 days a week for the first month I was in the office from 9 till 2, its so much more beneficial than trying to teach someone how to do shit over a video call

Yesterday I told my boss that I'm going to take a few weeks of mostly staying out of the office, as I said, I've been going it a hell of a lot over the last few months, not doing full days in there but still majority of the time I have been going in, I'm feeling a bit burnt out by it now though, I told the boss that I just can't be arsed going in and that the new starter is at the point where what he does need to know I can show him over Teams, he doesn't need someone sitting next to him showing him click by click what he has to do.

Bosses response was "ok...but why are you telling me"

They are honestly so relaxed about office time its great, as long as you don't take the piss they just leave you to do what you want and as long as you show your face in the office every often enough there isn't any drama if you then stay away for a week or two.

I'll have a few weeks of just going in once a week and then I'll get back to doing 3 or 4 days.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, tomav84 said:

because you want to work in the office more? or less?

i personally prefer being in so i'm in the office 5 days a week. we're now mandated to do minumum 3 days (people are being sacked in extreme cases of not playing ball)

I've been in to the office maybe 5 or 6 times since 2020 and never intend to do so again other than occasional planning/teambuilding days.

Can see why some people prefer not WFH, and there may be valid reasons a company doesn't want their staff remote (and plenty of bad reasons...), but selling "1 day a fortnight we'll trust you not to be in our office" really doesn't justify a bulletpoint as a benefit, for my money, especially not for a tech job, it's basically admitting "we know lots of people prefer WFH, but we don't want you to, so here's a morsel..."

• 3 weeks later...
15 minutes ago, Xela said:

Just done 2 days in a row in the office, for the first time in years. Forgot how tiring it is... you know, getting dressed, having to speak to people and not masturbating in the mid afternoon lull. 

That sounds awful. 

25 minutes ago, Xela said:

Just done 2 days in a row in the office, for the first time in years. Forgot how tiring it is... you know, getting dressed, having to speak to people and not masturbating in the mid afternoon lull. 

I havent done two days in office in a row for about 3 years now

I think id struggle now would take me a while to get use to it if and when it happens again

i'm the exact opposite. i do 100% in the office by choice. i absolutely hated working from home and it's at the point that if we had another lockdown i'd be putting in a request for an exemption to enable me to continue going to the office

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Genie said:

That sounds awful. 

Tell me about it. I couldn't even tweak the end of it through my trousers as I was right next to the meeting room with floor to ceiling windows :(

28 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

I havent done two days in office in a row for about 3 years now

I think id struggle now would take me a while to get use to it if and when it happens again

It will take me a few weeks to get used to it, but once i'm there its actually ok. Been catching up with colleagues, like the first day of school after the summer holiday. Also, as I live on my own, it will probably be good for my mental health to see more people!

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Xela said:

Tell me about it. I couldn't even tweak the end of it through my trousers as I was right next to the meeting room with floor to ceiling windows :(

It will take me a few weeks to get used to it, but once i'm there its actually ok. Been catching up with colleagues, like the first day of school after the summer holiday. Also, as I live on my own, it will probably be good for my mental health to see more people!

Any sexy ladies you are reacquainting with

37 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

i'm the exact opposite. i do 100% in the office by choice. i absolutely hated working from home and it's at the point that if we had another lockdown i'd be putting in a request for an exemption to enable me to continue going to the office

The only person I know who is still working from home, is stressed out of his head due to lack of proper support.

12 hours ago, Xela said:

You wouldn't have that problem if Mr Slazenger was your friend.

Just saying.

• Haha 2

12 hours ago, Seat68 said:

I am currently on the bench and desperate for my next role to be in the office. I never minded commuting and I am not an introvert. Not @Paddywhack level but enough not to be the quiet guy in an office. 

I'm quiet as a dormouse in my new job, I keep my head down and barely speak to anyone.

I'm back in the office 2 days a week now and whilst it's nice to see some colleagues and grab a coffee, I'd much rather WFH.

I definitely need to get some noise cancelling headphones for when I'm in as the endless chit chat and gossiping by the HR ladies sat behind me makes my ears bleed. They literally spent 20 minutes reading out and discussing the menu for Slug and Lettuce on Monday. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Our management teams in meltdown. My manager is a lazy **** that isnt managed very well at all by his boss. Now a few complaints have gone above my bosses boss to regional director. The managers are not on good terms at all.

Have a feeling this will result in more days in office for us

Edited by Demitri_C

Â