Pick  

25 members have voted

1. 1. Pick

• Yes
    • No - we need to work as a team
    • No - I distrust employees from being out of sight
    • No - a working environment creates better results

This poll is closed to new votes

I work from all the time.. works perfectly, I suppose you have to be dedicated to your job for it to work, some people are right lazy shits and see it as an excuse to have a day off, and check thier email once every 2 hours.

And there are no issue with data or security, a secureID token and a VPN connection resolves all that.

It works it the employer has a good way of measuring the work being done. Produce results and you can continue, if not, a cubical it is!

All depending of the line of work of course.

I'd love to be able to work from home. I've just done 12 hours in the office. Would be so much easier to have the ability to work from home...although i would probably end up working 16 hours a day then!

It can be done; but honestly for many people it's just a license to take a day off without using up their vacation and personal days. I have three direct reports and (knowing them like I do) discourage them from working from home because I know for a fact that they are not actually going to be working much except for a token e-mail or two that I get CCed on to "prove" that they did something that day.

Once every few weeks I work from home myself and I tend to get just as much done if not more. Of course I don't tell my staff I'm working from home until the morning of, because I know that they'll show up later than usual if they know I won't be in the office that day.

I work from all the time.. works perfectly, I suppose you have to be dedicated to your job for it to work, some people are right lazy shits and see it as an excuse to have a day off, and check thier email once every 2 hours.

And there are no issue with data or security, a secureID token and a VPN connection resolves all that.

I'm trying to get hold of that VPN stuff.

When I have worked from home, I've bizarrely done a days work by about 2pm because I'm not bothered by phonecalls or office chat. And maybe I'm paranoid that the bosses may think I'm being a lazy shit! I think it would soon become apparent in most jobs if nothing was getting done by those working at home.

It works it the employer has a good way of measuring the work being done. Produce results and you can continue, if not, a cubical it is!

All depending of the line of work of course.

I actually work harder at home because I'm conscious (or paranoid) that they might think I'm dossing.

• 14 years later...
On 31/03/2009 at 19:28, Xela said:

I'd love to be able to work from home. I've just done 12 hours in the office. Would be so much easier to have the ability to work from home...although i would probably end up working 16 hours a day then!

How times change, eh? :) 

still work from home, albeit between 2009 when this thread was made and now, I have had a few years in a couple of jobs, working in an office.  But I'd say 75% of my career to date has been working from home.  Not bad considering I started working in 2007.  

(don't worry, I was just looking through my profile from the conversation about accidental profile clicks and had no idea you could see all of your history from the big 2006 change over, where I think we lost a lot of posts!) :) 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Genie said:

I am absolutely certain that WFH in my line of work has made things FAR more efficient. 

Same here. We were pushing for it before Covid but there were several other Directors who were holding-out. It'd never work, they'd say. They needed eyes-on their teams at all times.

We did a somewhat unscientific study last year and think we are about 40% more productive and 22% happier as a workforce. Everyone works predominantly from home but comes in to one of the offices when required or when they want. 

3 minutes ago, choffer said:

Same here. We were pushing for it before Covid but there were several other Directors who were holding-out. It'd never work, they'd say. They needed eyes-on their teams at all times.

We did a somewhat unscientific study last year and think we are about 40% more productive and 22% happier as a workforce. Everyone works predominantly from home but comes in to one of the offices when required or when they want. 

My company has introduced a policy where you can work away from home for a couple of weeks per year (eg from a holiday destination or when visiting family in another country).

38 minutes ago, Genie said:

My company has introduced a policy where you can work away from home for a couple of weeks per year (eg from a holiday destination or when visiting family in another country).

So they expect you to work on your holidays? 

14 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

So they expect you to work on your holidays? 

No.

You can still book a holiday and not work.

But you could also, if you wanted, book a 2 week trip away, work the first week from the resort and take the second week as holiday.

Or you could visit friends or family abroad without having to use all your holiday allowance as you’re still working from wherever it is.

It’s a nice touch. I’m sure it’ll get scrapped at some point when the inevitable piss taking occurs.

• Like 4

29 minutes ago, Genie said:

No.

You can still book a holiday and not work.

But you could also, if you wanted, book a 2 week trip away, work the first week from the resort and take the second week as holiday.

Or you could visit friends or family abroad without having to use all your holiday allowance as you’re still working from wherever it is.

It’s a nice touch. I’m sure it’ll get scrapped at some point when the inevitable piss taking occurs.

We've instituted a similar scheme at ours too. We've quite an international workforce so it made sense. The only bone of contention is that line managers don't have to make accommodations for time differences so if you're working and you're invited to a meeting by your boss, you're going to have to be present. Mostly people are pretty good about working around time zones though so it's not been an issue yet.

1 minute ago, choffer said:

We've instituted a similar scheme at ours too. We've quite an international workforce so it made sense. The only bone of contention is that line managers don't have to make accommodations for time differences so if you're working and you're invited to a meeting by your boss, you're going to have to be present. Mostly people are pretty good about working around time zones though so it's not been an issue yet.

That seems completely reasonable.

It wouldn’t be right to turn down meetings whilst on working days because it’s very early in Jamaica and you don’t want to get out of bed. If you do it, then you make sure things are covered as if you’re in the UK.

Â