1. 1. Pick

• Yes
    • No - we need to work as a team
    • No - I distrust employees from being out of sight
    • No - a working environment creates better results

This poll is closed to new votes

52 minutes ago, Genie said:

No.

You can still book a holiday and not work.

But you could also, if you wanted, book a 2 week trip away, work the first week from the resort and take the second week as holiday.

Or you could visit friends or family abroad without having to use all your holiday allowance as you’re still working from wherever it is.

It’s a nice touch. I’m sure it’ll get scrapped at some point when the inevitable piss taking occurs.

Oh wow, that is good. I didnt understand what you were saying for a minute. Hopefully people dont abuse that privilege. 

• Like 1

A couple of my team just work from Spain permanently now, presumably there's some HR hoops to take care of tax implications, etc, but there's no sign of a change of heart on our adoption of accepting fully remote working. There's a handful of people who go into the office

I've worked from the other end of the country a few times so we could be away for a weekend, but do the travel on the Thursday/Monday night, and make the most of the full weekend at the place we were visiting

• Like 1

8 hours ago, lapal_fan said:

How times change, eh? :) 

still work from home, albeit between 2009 when this thread was made and now, I have had a few years in a couple of jobs, working in an office.  But I'd say 75% of my career to date has been working from home.  Not bad considering I started working in 2007.  

(don't worry, I was just looking through my profile from the conversation about accidental profile clicks and had no idea you could see all of your history from the big 2006 change over, where I think we lost a lot of posts!) :) 

2009!

I was optimistic and driven then! Its been beaten out of me in the 14 years since :D 

I was about 20 years into my working career when I first worked from home. 

• Like 1

The place I work has done a full about turn on WFH. They want us in 3 days a week now. Its gone down like a vomit sandwich. For me, personally, its a bit of a pain and I am more productive at home, but I don't mind going in, but think 2 days would have been the perfect amount if asked. We were 3 days in the office before Covid, so it seems any lessons learned through the pandemic have now been forgotten. 

Our business has performed fantastically well since WFH was introduced. Profits are up and people don't mind doing a bit extra as they are treated like adults. Now it's very regimented and a lot of people have just said they will work to rule and look for another job. Everyone is going to have a different position/view on it. 

I see the benefit of being in an office, its good for the new starters and younger people, but I think they could have been more flexible about days/hours etc. It feels like a huge misstep and a lot of goodwill has been lost. I don't have kids, and i have an easy journey in, but others it will be a big change as they have moved homes and had kids since the pandemic.

I think the bigger companies have been put under pressure form local authorities/Government about people back on trains/buses and into city centres to spend money. 

• Like 3

NHS has done a complete 360.  They were all in favour of being flexible so you can work from home. Now with my trust thats gone out the window. Most teams are back in office at best 1 day WFH. My teams one of the few that woeks full time from home but now HR and senior management in trust want to get us back in. Id get it if we were patient facing or liaising with patients but we do none of that.

Its also fact we work better from home as when we go in we literally do **** all. Just chatting and taking loads of breaks.

Just seems utterly stupid to me.

16 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

NHS has done a complete 360.  They were all in favour of being flexible so you can work from home. Now with my trust thats gone out the window. Most teams are back in office at best 1 day WFH

(I assume you mean a 180...)  :)

My daughter and her husband both work for the NHS (health education and hospital admin, respectively), and they are both 100% WFH. 

Perhaps it varies by region? 

My place a really good about WFH, they say that they want everyone in twice a week but nearly everyone just does 1 day and no one seems to care.

I go in 3 or 4 times a week and take a 2pm lunch and then do 3 till 5 at home, I'm lucky that I am only 20 minutes away from the office so I can jump a bus and get back with no problems, that's why I tend to go in more often so that no one can say anything about the amount of time that I am going in for because all in all I spend more time there than most, I just **** hate coming home at 5pm.

I'll get home at 2:18pm, my mate finishes at 5 and often doesn't get home until nearly 7pm, he hates me for it but its his own fault for living somewhere stupid ain't it.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

(I assume you mean a 180...)  :)

My daughter and her husband both work for the NHS (health education and hospital admin, respectively), and they are both 100% WFH. 

Perhaps it varies by region? 

What do they do?

14 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

No idea!  :)

Exactly what my folks would say if someone asked about my job! :)

Then again, what does anyone in a bank do?! Just move money around! :D 

I started a new job last year and it’s quite an in-depth role with a lot to learn. You also have to communicate a lot with colleagues.

With everybody doing 3 days at home a week, I feel like it’s probably taken me 3 times as long to learn/get trained on my role and build a rapport with colleagues, or even just put a face to a name.

I’d say that’s my only criticism of it though. The flexibility of working from home has really allowed me to keep my masturbation schedule.

• Haha 2
  • Shocked 1

1 hour ago, mjmooney said:

No idea!  :)

In my trust there are only two teams that work permanently from home. RTT validations (my team) and clincal coding. Only reason is because they gave our desks up to other teams when covid hit and because we dont interact with patients thats why we still do.

Id be interested to know what department they work in if you can find out?

I know alot of people in london trusts and its same there. Very little work from home.

Have to say though we have the worlds shittest management. They are so corrupt its unreal

I'm in charge of "People and Culture" for our department at work. Last week during our midyear review of how the business is doing I had to spend half an hour persuading people what a terrible idea going back to 5 days in the office would be. It's the 3rd time I've had to do something like this.

HR are with me. But a couple of dinosaurs high up in the company are determined to make it happen, even though they pretend they support working from home

It infuriates me

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Paddywhack said:

I started a new job last year and it’s quite an in-depth role with a lot to learn. You also have to communicate a lot with colleagues.

With everybody doing 3 days at home a week, I feel like it’s probably taken me 3 times as long to learn/get trained on my role and build a rapport with colleagues, or even just put a face to a name.

I’d say that’s my only criticism of it though. The flexibility of working from home has really allowed me to keep my masturbation schedule.

A lad started at my place just a few moths ago, for some reason they decided that I had to mentor him, first thing I said was ask him how often he's willing to go into the office because I'm not doing it over Teams.

Luckily he lives local as well so 4 or 5 days a week for the first month I was in the office from 9 till 2, its so much more beneficial than trying to teach someone how to do shit over a video call

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Like most people I get spammed job descriptions all the time from recruiters who've found my CV somewhere, I thought it was worth burning this recruitment agency as a potential contact by responding to one they sent me with the below excerpt and a simple "LOL"

Benefits:

• Competitive salary
  • 2 days per month remote work

• Like 1

Â