Pick  

25 members have voted

1. 1. Pick

• Yes
    • No - we need to work as a team
    • No - I distrust employees from being out of sight
    • No - a working environment creates better results

This poll is closed to new votes

Not sure why some of you are a slightly bitter to anybody who decided to move during Covid, good on them for making their day to day lives happier. If they need to find a new job locally or a new remote role then so be it. You can carry on being stuck in traffic and complaining that other people aren't all you like.

Edited by TreeVillan

If people have moved away from the office location while still being on an office contract, then they can't complain that they're being asked back. I talked to my boss about moving rural during the pandemic and was told to go for it. I asked for a home working contract, and they said no, but we'd never be back in the office more than 1 day. We're now back 3 days. I'm glad I never moved! 

I've kind of got used to being in the office 3 days a week. Can be a good laugh with colleagues. 

The bigger issue for me is that the associated costs of going in have increased rapidly, way ahead of pay. People were prepared to put up with a poor pay-rise if they could WFH and save money on travel etc. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Talldarkandransome said:

Don't think I could do 5 days a week in office anymore

I'd have to find a new job

I am blessed really. My company has changed my contract to 100% wfh about 18 months ago and I would hate the extra 2 hours a day travelling. 

I just fall out of my bed and log on. Perfect. I do miss the craic with some of the team but could cheerfully strangle others. At my time of life i just want the least amount of hassle 

• Like 3

22 hours ago, mottaloo said:

I am blessed really. My company has changed my contract to 100% wfh about 18 months ago and I would hate the extra 2 hours a day travelling. 

I just fall out of my bed and log on. Perfect. I do miss the craic with some of the team but could cheerfully strangle others. At my time of life i just want the least amount of hassle 

Its a good job the hard working sales teams are keeping the economy ticking over ;) 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Xela said:

Its a good job the hard working sales teams are keeping the economy ticking over ;) 

To all you sales gurus out there...sorry but :

173jxf.jpg

• Haha 1

On 16/01/2024 at 15:19, Genie said:

Exactly, and people employed as remote are rightly angry at the suggestion they HAVE to go in to the office now.

The company I left couldn't understand why so many people were annoyed about this. They were in Coleshill originally, moved to Lichfield during Covid with a tiny office to lessen the cost and took on a bunch of WFH from Lichfield. Naturally it worked brilliantly most people worked better from home, but managers started to panic when they realised they are simply not needed and started to want everyone in the office 3 days a week. Coleshill lot mostly left because of the commute. Then they buy a place at the Fort and expect the Lichfield lot to commute, so me and a load of others left.

The one lad I keep in touch with says they've never got more than about 20 staff in the role I did - for the year I was there it was up around 50 while we were allowed to WFH.

Just setting fire to a mass of profits in the name of managers wanting to feel relevant. Madness.

• Like 2

On 16/01/2024 at 19:05, Talldarkandransome said:

Almost 4 years WFH now, go into office once or twice a week

I'd quit if they asked me to go in once a week, honestly :D 

I think my limit is planning meetings every 3-6 months, but every time I go in, I have a choice between a miserable commute listening to the music of halfwits, smelling their BO or a painful commute of traffic then spending a fortune on parking,. When I finally arrive, then having every thought in the office interrupted by the the conference calls of idiots or the racket of the coffee machine. I leave considerably more stressed having done  a fraction of the work.

And to top it all off, like most companies now, while people praise the "collaborate nature" and the "water cooler moments" of the office, we're entirely hotdesks so unless you're there before 8:30 you're probably sat next to strangers, spending half an hour trying to get stuff set up, and spending less time collaborating than you would from the comfort of home. It's **** shit.

My boss has mentioned a few times in recent weeks how good it'd be to see people in more often, I specifically unmute myself to laugh.

• Like 2

The company I will be moving to next month are out near Manchester Airport and they are fairly flexible, come into the office when the work demands it. I didn't want to blow my cool persona by saying you are near the airport, I will be there all the time. 

5 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

The company I will be moving to next month are out near Manchester Airport and they are fairly flexible, come into the office when the work demands it. I didn't want to blow my cool persona by saying you are near the airport, I will be there all the time. 

We’ve just moved out of our building at the airport to an office in Didsbury.  Get me back to the airport for my 1 day a week in the office.

45 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

I'd quit if they asked me to go in once a week, honestly :D 

I think my limit is planning meetings every 3-6 months, but every time I go in, I have a choice between a miserable commute listening to the music of halfwits, smelling their BO or a painful commute of traffic then spending a fortune on parking,. When I finally arrive, then having every thought in the office interrupted by the the conference calls of idiots or the racket of the coffee machine. I leave considerably more stressed having done  a fraction of the work.

And to top it all off, like most companies now, while people praise the "collaborate nature" and the "water cooler moments" of the office, we're entirely hotdesks so unless you're there before 8:30 you're probably sat next to strangers, spending half an hour trying to get stuff set up, and spending less time collaborating than you would from the comfort of home. It's **** shit.

My boss has mentioned a few times in recent weeks how good it'd be to see people in more often, I specifically unmute myself to laugh.

I'm only 20 mins away and I get to see some really nice people, so I don't mind once or twice a week.. i can pre-book what desk I wanna sit at so it's quite good... we have a good laugh and a pint at lunch time

Milton Keynes is my base. Last time I was there was October last year, an that was for training. I have always been kinda field based, but with technology moving on, I could probably get away with hardly going out the house, as jobs can now be diagnosed and repaired over the interweb via telemetry. If I go out now It's mostly to Manchester dealer, as I have pals there and it's where my director lives and works from. I have no set days I need to be anywhere, which is why I changed my mind on leaving to another manufacture a couple of years ago.

Same, almost 4 years WFH, now down to going to the office for about 2 hours a fortnight for a couple of meetings. 

I love WFH and get loads more done than in the office.

No way could I work 5 days in an office, I would have to quit.

On 16/01/2024 at 19:22, Xela said:

I'd have to find a new job

I've told my boss that my notice would go in the day this was announced

Went yesterday to the office, could barely park even in the office only spaces. Looks like people are going back.

On another note, I never used to get ill, and now I've been ill twice in 3 months. Reduced immune system from being at home way more?

11 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

Went yesterday to the office, could barely park even in the office only spaces. Looks like people are going back.

On another note, I never used to get ill, and now I've been ill twice in 3 months. Reduced immune system from being at home way more?

Probably from your son (seriously, same thing happened to me)

• Like 1

Â