The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

I just watched Oldboy for the first time ever.... Am I the only one who thinks it's a bit shit?

Yes.

What about it did you find shit?

I watched A Bitersweet Life for the second time the other day on illegal download and the subs were so bad I had to turn it off. Perhaps that was your problem here?

I just watched Oldboy for the first time ever.... Am I the only one who thinks it's a bit shit?

Wow! I suppose I can understand this if you went into it with high expectations but I wouldn't expect many would call it shit.

If everybody liked the same stuff Adam Sandler wouldn't have a career!

Edited by Nigel

He is the Kaka of the movie world...hype job

I can only assume you've never watched Kaka' play then.

Kaka had one masterful, incredible season (pans labrinyth) mixed with some decent ones (blade 2, hellboy) but when he finally got his big move to madrid (Pacific Rim) he flopped badly...now when you look at his career as a whole (del toro) it wasnt really that great after all, and shouldn't be considered a great of modern football (cinema).

Must be bored at work too type this shite.

Starting to wonder if del toro has either lost it or maybe he just got lucky and never really 'had it'. Pans labrinyth is a masterpiece. Blade 2 was very good. Hellboy was decent but other then that he aint really done much to warrant his reputation. His resume is actually rather average. He can only eat out on pans labrinyth for so long.

Have you seen Cronos or Devil's Backbone? Both excellent, particularly the latter which is a brilliant ghost story with all his usual visual flourishes.

I think the only del Toro movie I haven't been that enamoured with is Pacific Rim. I just didn't think it was his type of movie (apart from the scenes with Ron Perlman).

He had more than one good season, rather 3 or 4......more like Sergio Leone.

Indeed, Kaka' was arguably the best player in World football for a few years. Basically single-handedly won a pretty poor Milan side the European Cup as well. Had a good year when Madrid won the league too.

On topic: Anyone seen Bad Grandpa? I'm thinking of seeing that and Gravity on Thursday, but I'm not sure whether it's going to be actually funny or just stupid.

Indeed, Kaka' was arguably the best player in World football for a few years. Basically single-handedly won a pretty poor Milan side the European Cup as well. Had a good year when Madrid won the league too.

On topic: Anyone seen Bad Grandpa? I'm thinking of seeing that and Gravity on Thursday, but I'm not sure whether it's going to be actually funny or just stupid.

My brother in law went to see it, or should I say he was taken to see it. It's terrible, he says, best bits in the trailer and the rest not funny in the slightest. There's no obvious story thread to drag you through that he could find either.

I've no idea why anyone would pay £12 to watch something like that in the cinema anyway, it's not like the big screen is a must.

A  couple of recent rentals:

Hyde Park on Hudson - better than I expected, although odd to watch soon after "The King's Speech", and NOT having Firth and Bonham-Carter in the K & Q roles. Bill Murray was pretty good though. Bill Clinton must look back on previous presidencies (FDR & Kennedy especially) and curse the modern media.

Gangster Squad - sadly, pretty much exactly what I expected - all style and no substance. It looks great, but that's all I can say for it.

another exercise in propaganda.

A bit like Homeland, really.

Precisely why I'll watch neither.

I don't really see Homeland as propaganda, it doesn't exactly paint the States in a particularly positive light, especially the latest season.

An old favourite and I've probably posted it before... but I own the DVD and shoved it on tonight in the background when I got in from work.  It's awesome.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PoAD3kUmN9s

My brother in law went to see it, or should I say he was taken to see it. It's terrible, he says, best bits in the trailer and the rest not funny in the slightest. There's no obvious story thread to drag you through that he could find either.

I've no idea why anyone would pay £12 to watch something like that in the cinema anyway, it's not like the big screen is a must.

That's one reason I usually wouldn't see comedies at the cinema, you never really know if they've just crammed the decent bits in the trailer and the rest is poor. I certainly wouldn't pay to see a film like this usually, but I have a Cineworld Unlimited card and figure I might as well see another film if I have the time.

Just got back from seeing Thor: The Dark World and thoroughly enjoyed it. I'm a bit of a comic nerd, but I think most people would appreciate it for being a fun film to switch off your brain to. I like how the over-arching storyline connecting all of the recent Marvel movies is coming together too with the mid-credits bonus scene. Shaping up nicely.

• Like 1

Zero Dark Thirty troubled me. For a good hour I thought it was a good, upmarket Homeland (Season 1), but then Maya said 'I believe I was spared so I could finish the job.'

Spared?

And with that the film's true colours were there for all to see, and it fast became nothing more than another exercise in propaganda.

I thought Zero Dark Thirty was awful because it was such a good film/piece of work (I hated its message and most of its characters).

I think Homeland's quite enjoyable because it isn't as good (though I particularly liked one of the episodes in the most recent series - Brody and Mathison's predicaments mirroring the other's) and because it appears less sure of itself.

Zero Dark Thirty troubled me. For a good hour I thought it was a good, upmarket Homeland (Season 1), but then Maya said 'I believe I was spared so I could finish the job.'

Spared?

And with that the film's true colours were there for all to see, and it fast became nothing more than another exercise in propaganda.

I thought Zero Dark Thirty was awful because it was such a good film/piece of work (I hated its message and most of its characters).

I think Homeland's quite enjoyable because it isn't as good (though I particularly liked one of the episodes in the most recent series - Brody and Mathison's predicaments mirroring the other's) and because it appears less sure of itself.

You thought zero dark thirty was awful because it was such a good film?! Eh??

Â