The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

Just watched Shutter Island again for the millionth time and it gets better with each viewing, picking up on all the things you weren't obviously looking for the first time round. I love it, for me there isnt a single thing wrong with it. Its such a tragic film. Superbly acted. Everything is spot on. Sixth Sense always gets the plaudits for its 'twist' but SI is infinitely superior.

10/10.

• Like 2

I wholeheartedly agree. I love everything about Shutter Island.

When I was working with a bunch of nerds as a games tester (nerdier than me anyway) there was this one ass who was so damn pretentious and superior and thought he was much more intelligent than he was. One day I came in and he was talking about Shutter Island to a friend of mine and so I joined in the conversation. He really laid into it, saying how boring and predictable it was and how he saw the plot twists coming a mile away. I laid back into him and called him on being a pretentious, arrogant dick and a liar.

I'm not saying nobody could predict the twist, but it wasn't obvious at all, and the film is superb and far from boring. He wasn't smart enough to figure it out though, I know that much. And besides, even though it does lead you to believe one version of events at the end, there's always that little shred of potential that it might just be the other thing, if those of you who have watched it get my meaning. A bit like the ending of Inception.

Edited by Ginko

I wholeheartedly agree. I love everything about Shutter Island.

When I was working with a bunch of nerds as a games tester (nerdier than me anyway) there was this one ass who was so damn pretentious and superior and thought he was much more intelligent than he was. One day I came in and he was talking about Shutter Island to a friend of mine and so I joined in the conversation. He really laid into it, saying how boring and predictable it was and how he saw the plot twists coming a mile away. I laid back into him and called him on being a pretentious, arrogant dick and a liar.

I'm not saying nobody could predict the twist, but it wasn't obvious at all, and the film is superb and far from boring. He wasn't smart enough to figure it out though, I know that much. And besides, even though it does lead you to believe one version of events at the end, there's always that little shred of potential that it might just be the other thing, if those of you who have watched it get my meaning. A bit like the ending of Inception.

I read the book a couple of years before the film came out and I was still affected by the twist

That's how good a twist it was!

Maybe the nerd had read the book but would rather say he guessed the ending than already knew it

Watching Kings of Summer and A Hijacking today as I nurse a bust ankle

Looking forward to both but I hope the brilliance of Captain Phillips doesn't taint A Hijacking for me

My friend ruined Shutter Island for me, deliberately, since then I've waited till he was watching something I knew he was and spoiled everything for him, I've ruined the end of season 1 & 3 of Game of Thrones well 2nd last episodes ;) ruined the end of season 4 of breaking bad and Lost, I'm still not happy.

• Like 3

another exercise in propaganda.

A bit like Homeland, really.

Precisely why I'll watch neither.

I don't really see Homeland as propaganda, it doesn't exactly paint the States in a particularly positive light, especially the latest season.

I think I was overly glib in my response. To clarify, I see them as two branches of the same tree. ZDT is propoganda and Homeland is calculated and deliberate fear-mongering. "Even your neighbour could be a terrorist, keep an eye on everyone and report everything, there's a good population".

My friend ruined Shutter Island for me, deliberately, since then I've waited till he was watching something I knew he was and spoiled everything for him, I've ruined the end of season 1 & 3 of Game of Thrones well 2nd last episodes ;) ruined the end of season 4 of breaking bad and Lost, I'm still not happy.

:) Fingers crossed he hasnt seen Sixth Sense!

Haha, na he has, I'll get him back though, no matter how long it takes, I'm not satisfied yet I might have to start watching downton abbey as he loves that so that'd probably do it.

Haha, na he has, I'll get him back though, no matter how long it takes, I'm not satisfied yet I might have to start watching downton abbey as he loves that so that'd probably do it.

Ideally, punishing someone shouldn't involve further punishing yourself to do so.

I think I was overly glib in my response. To clarify, I see them as two branches of the same tree. ZDT is propoganda and Homeland is calculated and deliberate fear-mongering. "Even your neighbour could be a terrorist, keep an eye on everyone and report everything, there's a good population".

Eh, maybe I guess, but that's a little overly-cynical in my view. I honestly don't think that was the intention of the show

It should also be mentioned that it's based on an Israeli TV series, 'Hatufim' (Prisoners of War) which saw three Israeli soldiers get captured by the Lebanese, and the show's writer and director Gideon Raff is a producer on Homeland, so I doubt he would be okay with the US turning it into propaganda and painting the Middle East in a poor light.

Besides... well, I'll spoiler it for anyone else but considering you won't watch it I assume you'll read it...

Brody is an American soldier, so it'd be in poor taste and going against everything the US celebrate concerning their troops and combat veterans returning from service abroad if they were using Homeland as propaganda for people to mistrust their own countrymen and heroes. And anyway, Brody doesn't actually perform any acts of terrorism. He was brainwashed and came damn close, but he hasn't done anything... yet anyway. He is innocent.

I think you're missing out personally, especially the first season, it's incredibly good television.

also liked shutter island and also read the book and loved it, however iirc there is one line by di caprio, which im sure is the last line in the film which completely spoilt it!

im sure he gives it away that he knows full well what he's doing and doing it on purpose, whereas the book left it open for you to decide, something about living a bad man or dying a good one or something like that?

I've never read the book but...

I really liked the ending. I appreciate a good open-ending to a film but I must admit, I feel more satisfied with a more complete ending. It isn't very philosophical or artistic of me, I know, but I like to know the 'true' ending the writer intended. Obviously from what you tell me, the author had no clear 'true' ending, but in this instance I'm referring to the script writer's 'true' ending.

The film definitely suggested one possibility over the other, but I kind of liked that. It still had that small inkling that the other ending was stilla possibility, but probably not. I think it suited the film better to make it a little more obvious that he would rather be judged as insane and suffer the consequences than be free to live his life knowing what he had done. I really loved that.

Edited by Ginko
  • Like 1

There is a line DiCaprio says when they first drive into the Asylum, I can't remember what, but after he said it I knew right away where the story was going, if not how it would get there i.e. there are various 'twists' you don't see coming but the main 'twist' is pretty obvious and foreshadowed quite heavily (and deliberately, Scorsese isn't a fool).

I enjoyed the film as it has a great atmosphere, but, looking back, it's a bit hollow.

Edited by CarewsEyebrowDesigner

CED, Whatever the film, however clever the twist, some people will spot it. I didn't therefore I really enjoyed the twist. Ginko's spoiler tag is exactly how I feel. I preferred the ending in the film, that's what makes it so tragic.

One of the reasons I loved M Night Shamalamadingdong's The Village is because I missed the first ten minutes where they spell the twist out to the viewer. I never understood why people criticised the film until I watched it a second time in it's entirety. I'm glad I got to enjoy it even inadvertently. I also don't understand why they made it the way they did. It's a much better film the way I saw it because the twist when it occurs for Ms Howard is a genuine omg moment.

TBH I've never really cared for twists. I find them lazy. So it never bothers me too much if I can see where a film/book is going, as long as the story is interesting in itself, and doesn't rely on manipulating the audience and sucker punching them in the final act, which as said is a lazy approach to story telling.

In my opinion, at least. I know people who love being hoodwinked and blown away by some cra-zy revelation, and read endless crime thrillers and watch any movie with a 'twist', and more often than not they sit in front of the TV and try to work it out during the film or TV show, as if they could somehow influence the ending and save the day by figuring it out.

Oh! I just stumbled on a new reality tv concept: live streamed murder mysteries. Dial in when you figure out the murderer for your chance at winning six months supply of Wispas and bog roll.

Ideally, punishing someone shouldn't involve further punishing yourself to do so.

Haha very true BOF I'll have to think of something.

I just watched Oldboy for the first time ever.... Am I the only one who thinks it's a bit shit?

Wow! I suppose I can understand this if you went into it with high expectations but I wouldn't expect many would call it shit.

If everybody liked the same stuff Adam Sandler wouldn't have a career!

It just didn't really seem to flow right. I watched a dubbed version, not sure if that had an effect on it as I usually prefer subtitles. Maybe I was just expecting too much.

Â