The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

Horror is an interesting one. What do you guys want from your horror films, given that you are all grownups who won't be scared by what you watch? I think it's why they traditionally have lower scores on IMDb because people judge them (perhaps rightly?) on how scared they made them. Like how you solely judge a comedy on whether it made you laugh. Whereas other genres with less clear remits might get an easier ride by taking into account things like cinematography etc.

For me, the horror in a good horror movie should be a consequence of it being a well made movie. It's why things like The Exorcist have aged so well. It's because it is an excellent film as its foundation and the horror comes across so easily in how well it was made - obviously with a creepy enough storyline but that should be a given.

Stuff that tries to beat you around the head with how 'horror'y it is tends to be the stuff that fails miserably for me. I'm not big on stuff like Paranormal Activity where the extent of the horror is to make you jump for a second.

Horror should be psychological and lasting rather than overtly visual IMHO. And in today's world of a quick fix and a short attention span, horror films have suffered badly as leemond suggests.

• Like 1

Horror is an interesting one. What do you guys want from your horror films, given that you are all grownups who won't be scared by what you watch? I think it's why they traditionally have lower scores on IMDb because people judge them (perhaps rightly?) on how scared they made them. Like how you solely judge a comedy on whether it made you laugh. Whereas other genres with less clear remits might get an easier ride by taking into account things like cinematography etc.

For me, the horror in a good horror movie should be a consequence of it being a well made movie. It's why things like The Exorcist have aged so well. It's because it is an excellent film as its foundation and the horror comes across so easily in how well it was made - obviously with a creepy enough storyline but that should be a given.

Stuff that tries to beat you around the head with how 'horror'y it is tends to be the stuff that fails miserably for me. I'm not big on stuff like Paranormal Activity where the extent of the horror is to make you jump for a second.

Horror should be psychological and lasting rather than overtly visual IMHO. And in today's world of a quick fix and a short attention span, horror films have suffered badly as leemond suggests.

I am massive on my horrors (I think I have about 200 horror films on DVD or Blu Ray)

My favorites have to be

exorcist

amityville horror

the entity

texas chainsaw massacre

nightmare on elm street

I am a bit of a freak when it comes to demonic possession, exorcisms and hauntings and stuff like that so they are the films and books I tend to go for when looking for a horror.

The whole franchise has been destroyed though by the mocumentary style like paranormal activity, I think the biggest killer for the films though is CGI, horror films don't need it at all, look at the reboot of nightmare on elm street when Freddy pushes through the wall, in the original Robert England just pushed himself up against a vinyl wall whereas in the reboot it is CGI and looks ridiculously fake. Horror is more about the atmosphere rather than the amazing special effects.

The other thing is that film makers tend to the that jumps=scares that just isn't true watch The Haunting in Connecticut and all the way through they throw in something to try and make the audience jump at every chance and it gets really boring really quick.

'Billy Madison' was certainly horrific.

Horror is a strange one though, people find different things frightening. I'm not one for jump scares and loud noises. I don't really do genuinely shit-your-pants scared either, probably because I never buy into a film that tries to do it. I do get genuinely unsettled though, and the best horror films (imo) are very... insidious (and I don't mean the film insidious!). The Exorcist is a good example, that genuinely unsettles me, and I don't particularly know why. The Shining too is very unsettling. Ditto 'Don't Look Now', although that is a far more complex film than the previous two I mentioned. So, apart from those obvious examples, I'd recommend the following: Carrie, The Wicker Man, The Fly, The Vanishing (or Spoorloos, to give it it's proper title... not the Hollywood remake), Peeping Tom, Rosemary's Baby. If you are after something more recent, 'The House of the Devil' is probably the best I've seen, although I don't really bother with recent horrors because they just make loud noises and torture people.

Edited by CarewsEyebrowDesigner

I haven't been on here for a while but thought I would join in on the horror discussion. I'vepersonally never been a fan of horror as such. I prefer either comedic horror films, or films with more of a psychological edge.

I'm a big fan of Raimi's work for example. This includes the likes of 'Evil Dead' and 'Drag Me to Hell'. I just love the fact that they are funny and a little jumpy at the same time. Basically they don't take the horror element too seriously. As far as more psychological ones go, I would be talking about the likes of 'Psycho', 'The Shining' and 'The Devils Backbone'. Perhaps not horrors as such, yet they have that kind of feel to them.

Recently watched "The Master", and it was alright, not great. Joaquin Phoenix is very good as a drifting loner after the war. But the movie gets weighed down a bit by it's own self-importance, something that the director flirted with when he made "There Will Be Blood".

Anderson is a huge talent, but I'd like to see him do something more along the lines of Boogie Nights again instead of plodding character studies.

I also agree with everything BOF said about the Master.

I also watched "Before the Devil Knows You're Dead" the weekend, with Philip Seymour Hoffman, Ethan Hawke & Marisa Tomei's tits! Really didn't expect much but it was good, 7.5/10.

Joining in the horror discussion, I'm not sure there's such a thing.

I think you can have scary films e.g. the others, woman in black, paranormal activity(ish), Blair witch.

Then there's gory films such as saw, hostel, human centipede etc that aren't really scary, it's just all ewww.

I don't think I've ever seen a true horror film that covers the 2 disparate genres.

The scariest thing I've ever watched is in the mouth of madness in a cinema after a religious nut gave me a leaflet earlier in the day describing the apocalypse which then seemed to play out in the cinema.

Yeah I'd define horror as films like The Ring these days ... Stuff like Texas chainsaw would be more mindless Gore for my money

I'd watch The ring over and over ( in the 7 days I have left to live :) ) but the OTT horror/ gore stuff I tend to not bother with

• Like 1

Horror - Session 9, Martyrs, and Henry: Portrait of a Killer all really creeped me out, but each for very different reasons. Amongst my favourites would be Event Horizon, A l'interieur, and Hellraiser.

Watched Captain Phillips last night. Very, very good. 9/10 for me. Definitely one of my favourite films of 2013.

Interesting. I haven't seen it but for me it came across as one of those films where the trailer tells you what you need to know and saves you the trouble of going. Sounds like I'm wrong.

Â