The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

Watched There Will Be Blood last night due to recommendations on here. Really wasn't impressed at all. Warning, big spoilers ahead.

It starts well. A bit of scene setting and a seeming pre-cursor to something big that never happens. But there's no back story or extra information on Daniel Plainview, so it's impossible to see why he turns like he does, or the reasons for any of his decisions.

The title makes it sound like there will be some kind of crescendo to the film. The pitting of Eli and Plainview against each other seems to back this up and you're there for quite some time waiting for their battle to come to a head, which it never actually does.

Then there was the confusion of Paul and Eli Sunday. For a long time I was wondering why Paul Sunday was pretending to be called Eli with Plainview keeping up the pretence. I thought it was a nuanced part of their deal that would become apparently as the story progressed. It was only really at the end credits where Paul Dano was credited as both Paul / Eli Sunday that I was sure. Why get the same actor to play both brothers and make them look exactly the same? 

I think that the main problem was there was no real story. Not a lot really happened. A guy builds a few oil wells, his adopted kid is involved in an accident, then he kills some religious nutter who actually was fairly harmless. 

DDL's performance was his typical intense Bill Cutting style crazy person, Ciaran Hinds was solid as usual, Paul Dano was just like he was in Little Miss Sunshine.

Can't find many positives with this one I'm afraid. And I normally love dynastic films.

Edited by darrenm

Just saw a trailer for 42, looks like a good film if you're interested in Baseball. Has anyone seen it? It's been out in America for months already.

I've seen it and believe I mentioned it in this thread a few pages back :)

Sod it I'll do mine but ill include movies from the 10's as well as the 00's: 20) drive / district 9 (cant choose) 19) vanilla sky 18) gladiator 17) zodiac 16) training day 15) headhunter 14) memories of murder 13) amores perros 12) lost in translation 11) elite squad 1 & 2 10) old boy 9) spirited away 8) pans labrinyth 7) no country for old men 6) the prestige 5) lord of the rings trilogy 4) road to perdition 3) the intouchables 2) there will be blood 1) city of god
you appear to have 24 films in your top 20 !
Not to mention a film that has never been made :) Edit : don't I feel silly , seems there is a film called "the intouchables" just assumed it was a typo D'oh Edited by tonyh29

Rush was brilliant. Any F1 fan would love it and the sound of the cars is brilliant in the cinema.

Very good how you start off thinking that Lauda is a bit of arrogant "arsehole" but then actually feel sorry for him in the end. Both actors played Lauda & Hunt superbly getting their voices and mannerisms down to a tee.

9/10 for me.

Still trying to work out what I thought of Rush. Saw it last night, I loved seeing the old cars in action and the noise was fantastic. If you want to see it, it'll be so much better in a theatre than at home, just for the sound alone.

Don't think I really enjoyed the characters though. They both came across as "ash-oles" and, while I'm sure they were fairly accurate portrayals, I couldn't really root for either of them. There was also an awful lot of exposition in the dialogue which was somewhat distracting. The racing was amazing and I'd recommend it on that basis alone but I still think it missed something somewhere along the line. Just can't work out what.

would like to thank whoever recommended "Sightseers" - just finished watching it  :lol:

Very well done I thought!

I mentioned it a few months ago along with a few others. Great film.

Especially the bit when she pushed the bloke off the cliff in his bike pod

would like to thank whoever recommended "Sightseers" - just finished watching it  :lol:

Very well done I thought!

I mentioned it a few months ago along with a few others. Great film.

Especially the bit when she pushed the bloke off the cliff in his bike pod

Haha yes that was great and the ending was perfect.

I'm going to get slammed for this but I surprisingly really enjoyed Pitch Perfect the other night.

i didn't like it.

it kind of jumped too quickly from them being rubbish to suddenly being great.

and didn't develop the main girl's character, the bit about her wanting to do radio/DJ'ing never really got explored. 

I'm going to get slammed for this but I surprisingly really enjoyed Pitch Perfect the other night.

i didn't like it.

and didn't develop the main girl's character, the bit about her wanting to do radio/DJ'ing never really got explored.

I genuinely don't know whether you're being serious or whether you've just won the internet with the best dead-pan sarcasm evarrr.
  • Like 2

After watching Eastern promises, good film and all, but after actually living in the communist countries this is very inaccurate. The ladies know exactly what kind of lifestyle to expect, free media and the internet is available in East Europe you know. These girls know the score, they weigh up the cost benefits as anyone else would. We are told how to live a perfect life, yet we cloud over the truth. The western world is made to believe that Roman Abromovich and his fellow Asians made their money fairly and they should be accepted into Western culture as Oligarchs. Living in Eastern Europe this is Bollocks, they make their money from intimidation, murder and dodgey deals. It's a totally different world there. I was in Bulgaria for Petrovs testimonial, the number of people with AMG Mercedes was astounding, more than western Europe. I studied economics at university, tell me how this is possible unless they are purely big time criminals

Finally watched Frost v Nixon last night

Thought the film was rather sympathetic towards Nixon and made him far more human than he really was

Historical inaccuracies apart I found it very entertaining ... Something like an 8 / 10

i didn't like it.

I genuinely don't know whether you're being serious or whether you've just won the internet with the best dead-pan sarcasm evarrr.

its a good question.  

Â