The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

PaulC, on 19 Sept 2013 - 12:20 PM, said:

mjmooney, on 19 Sept 2013 - 12:09 PM, said:

Westerns are a very disparate genre. It's very hard to compare (say) High Noon, Butch Cassidy, and Once Upon a Time in the West - they're all great but have virtually nothing in common besides the old west locations.

The thing that often surprises people about Butch Cassidy is that - although it's a romantic/comedy/family movie in many ways, it sticks pretty closely to the facts about Butch, Sundance and Etta. As far as we can tell they pretty much WERE like that (even larked about, riding bicycles, etc.)

yes all very diverse. Butch Cassidy had everything, great acting, comedy, songs , beauty in Katherine Ross - poor lady has aged badly. My great regret is having been over to Utah a number of times I have never been to the sundance festival.

I agree the Verdict is a great film. The Hustler, Cool hand Luke + BC&SDK and the Sting all great films.

but doesn't Paul Newman kinda play the same role in all of them    .. cool , handsome , debonair etc  .. Dan Day Lewis goes a bit mental in his research and lives the character , to suggest Newman was the better actor as someone did , seems to be under stating quite what DDL brings to the table  , IMO of course

• Like 1

PaulC, on 19 Sept 2013 - 12:20 PM, said:

mjmooney, on 19 Sept 2013 - 12:09 PM, said:

Westerns are a very disparate genre. It's very hard to compare (say) High Noon, Butch Cassidy, and Once Upon a Time in the West - they're all great but have virtually nothing in common besides the old west locations.

The thing that often surprises people about Butch Cassidy is that - although it's a romantic/comedy/family movie in many ways, it sticks pretty closely to the facts about Butch, Sundance and Etta. As far as we can tell they pretty much WERE like that (even larked about, riding bicycles, etc.)

yes all very diverse. Butch Cassidy had everything, great acting, comedy, songs , beauty in Katherine Ross - poor lady has aged badly. My great regret is having been over to Utah a number of times I have never been to the sundance festival.

I agree the Verdict is a great film. The Hustler, Cool hand Luke + BC&SDK and the Sting all great films.

but doesn't Paul Newman kinda play the same role in all of them    .. cool , handsome , debonair etc  .. Dan Day Lewis goes a bit mental in his research and lives the character , to suggest Newman was the better actor as someone did , seems to be under stating quite what DDL brings to the table  , IMO of course

Yes maybe but he's different in the verdict. DDL is more of a method actor but a very very good one. So yes I was maybe unfair to say Newman was a better actor, just a different type of one.

• Like 1

Just got back from Rush

Great film that keeps you entertained , few bits of nudity as well ..an unexpected bonus :)

drove home from the cinema like James Hunt afterwards ( minus the shunt ) to show my appreciation

The best film I've seen this year ? ... Hard to say but certainly one of the most enjoyable

• Like 1

Watched "This is the end" last weekend and have to agree with many peoples opinions on here that it is utter wank.

I watched "Jobs" last night which is quite a strange take on the life of Steve Jobs and Apple Computers. The film starts with him introducing the Ipod to workers on the Apple campus and then goes back to how he and his mate Steve Wozniak started Apple Computers which was more down to the genius of Wozniak than Jobs.

The film ends when he has gained control back of Apple. Doesnt touch on the success of the Iphone and the Ipad. Doesnt even mention that Jobs had died and just mentions that in 2012 Apple became the most valuable company. Worth a watch especially if you are an Apple fan.

mykeyb, on 20 Sept 2013 - 3:18 PM, said:

Watched "This is the end" last weekend and have to agree with many peoples opinions on here that it is utter wank.

I watched "Jobs" last night which is quite a strange take on the life of Steve Jobs and Apple Computers. The film starts with him introducing the Ipod to workers on the Apple campus and then goes back to how he and his mate Steve Wozniak started Apple Computers which was more down to the genius of Wozniak than Jobs.

The film ends when he has gained control back of Apple. Doesnt touch on the success of the Iphone and the Ipad. Doesnt even mention that Jobs had died and just mentions that in 2012 Apple became the most valuable company. Worth a watch especially if you are an Apple fan.

slightly OT  .. but I used to work for one of the Biggie Apple dealers back in the 90's

and as such I went to a sorta secret product development thingy , where they showed us prototypes of the Apple Newton and a prototype of a touch screen Apple monitor

I came to the conclusion both products were shite and would never take off

in effect they were the birth of the Iphone / ipad  ... glad nobody at Apple listened to me :)

mykeyb, on 20 Sept 2013 - 3:18 PM, said:

slightly OT  .. but I used to work for one of the Biggie Apple dealers back in the 90's

and as such I went to a sorta secret product development thingy , where they showed us prototypes of the Apple Newton and a prototype of a touch screen Apple monitor

I came to the conclusion both products were shite and would never take off

in effect they were the birth of the Iphone / ipad  ... glad nobody at Apple listened to me :)

There was a similar film called Pirates of Silicon Valley  but I'll give this one a look.              

Just got back from Rush

drove home from the cinema like James Hunt afterwards ( minus the shunt ) to show my appreciation

Funny you should mention that. There was a noticeable increase in vroom-vroomage from many of the cars leaving the cinema carpark. when I saw it. Even I had to remind myself about the speed cameras a little more diligently than usual. 

mjmooney, on 20 Sept 2013 - 7:26 PM, said:mjmooney, on 20 Sept 2013 - 7:26 PM, said:

Everyone's a comedian. 

Snowychap says Hi 

Sorry Darren , couldn't resist :P

tbf I was gonna use Drat , but he's on holiday and would miss the post , so you're second choice to Ian ...

and now  insulted twice in one post :D

Edited by tonyh29

Â