The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

Watched There Will Be Blood last night due to recommendations on here. Really wasn't impressed at all. Warning, big spoilers ahead.

It starts well. A bit of scene setting and a seeming pre-cursor to something big that never happens. But there's no back story or extra information on Daniel Plainview, so it's impossible to see why he turns like he does, or the reasons for any of his decisions.

The title makes it sound like there will be some kind of crescendo to the film. The pitting of Eli and Plainview against each other seems to back this up and you're there for quite some time waiting for their battle to come to a head, which it never actually does.

Then there was the confusion of Paul and Eli Sunday. For a long time I was wondering why Paul Sunday was pretending to be called Eli with Plainview keeping up the pretence. I thought it was a nuanced part of their deal that would become apparently as the story progressed. It was only really at the end credits where Paul Dano was credited as both Paul / Eli Sunday that I was sure. Why get the same actor to play both brothers and make them look exactly the same? 

I think that the main problem was there was no real story. Not a lot really happened. A guy builds a few oil wells, his adopted kid is involved in an accident, then he kills some religious nutter who actually was fairly harmless. 

DDL's performance was his typical intense Bill Cutting style crazy person, Ciaran Hinds was solid as usual, Paul Dano was just like he was in Little Miss Sunshine.

Can't find many positives with this one I'm afraid. And I normally love dynastic films.

I thought Dano was the best part of the film, but it is a pretty poor film.

I thought There Will Be Blood was brilliant, verging on masterpiece. 

Then again I also loved Heaven's Gate. 

most people agree with you, I thought it started well. The first half of the film was good then the 2nd half of the film meandered along and we had that ridiculous ending. Does anyone else think Daniel Day Lewis played the same character he did in gangs of new York.

Watched There Will Be Blood last night due to recommendations on here. Really wasn't impressed at all. Warning, big spoilers ahead.

It starts well. A bit of scene setting and a seeming pre-cursor to something big that never happens. But there's no back story or extra information on Daniel Plainview, so it's impossible to see why he turns like he does, or the reasons for any of his decisions.

The title makes it sound like there will be some kind of crescendo to the film. The pitting of Eli and Plainview against each other seems to back this up and you're there for quite some time waiting for their battle to come to a head, which it never actually does.

Then there was the confusion of Paul and Eli Sunday. For a long time I was wondering why Paul Sunday was pretending to be called Eli with Plainview keeping up the pretence. I thought it was a nuanced part of their deal that would become apparently as the story progressed. It was only really at the end credits where Paul Dano was credited as both Paul / Eli Sunday that I was sure. Why get the same actor to play both brothers and make them look exactly the same? 

I think that the main problem was there was no real story. Not a lot really happened. A guy builds a few oil wells, his adopted kid is involved in an accident, then he kills some religious nutter who actually was fairly harmless. 

DDL's performance was his typical intense Bill Cutting style crazy person, Ciaran Hinds was solid as usual, Paul Dano was just like he was in Little Miss Sunshine.

Can't find many positives with this one I'm afraid. And I normally love dynastic films.

I thought Dano was the best part of the film, but it is a pretty poor film.

I thought There Will Be Blood was brilliant, verging on masterpiece. 

Then again I also loved Heaven's Gate. 

most people agree with you, I thought it started well. The first half of the film was good then the 2nd half of the film meandered along and we had that ridiculous ending. Does anyone else think Daniel Day Lewis played the same character he did in gangs of new York.

I also found this film rather dissapointing.

Nothing really happened, and I also thought the film just tailed off a bit. It didn't grip me.

Was nicely shot and well acted, but that's all I could say for it.

Reading Briggamans list and then saw Avengers Assemble at No1 surely that's a piss take? I mean the list was really good. Avengers in it would've been fine. But No1? No1 has to be reserved for something special not a Comic book movie ensemble cast. I wouldn't even accept a comedy at No1 in a list.

No1 surely has to be something that touched you personally. Something that's unique.

Like I love Jaws and Aliens, they're never out of a tip ten or even top 5 list for me. But I can't put either at No1 ever. That thing in a movie that connects with you, something special. That's what gets number 1 surely?

Maybe that's just me. As a list is yours to make. Let's say I don't believe you for one second that you believe Avengers is top movie of the last decade. I'd bet anything at all anything that in 4/5 years there's no way it would be top of a similar list.

Well Avengers would, easily, be my #1 as its my favourite movie. One of the reasons you mentioned "a movie that connects with you, something special" and that's exactly why it's my favourite movie of all-time. Basically a dream movie come true and was bloody fantastic to top it off.

Also, on behalf of briggaman, he did state that the list wasn't in any particular order.

I'm not really a comic book fan, I didn't know much about the Marvell universe, and I'd only (just about) seen Thor and Iron Man before Avengers came out. Yet I could still comfortably put it as one of my favourite ever films. The amazement from when Iron Man starts fighting Thor, then Hulk gets involved with beating up Loki. And the fact there are no weak or boring parts of the film. It's pure popcorn entertainment, which is every bit as important as any other type of cinema.

darrenm, on 18 Sept 2013 - 1:28 PM, said:

kurtsimonw, on 17 Sept 2013 - 11:23 PM, said:

CVByrne, on 17 Sept 2013 - 7:38 PM, said:

Reading Briggamans list and then saw Avengers Assemble at No1 surely that's a piss take? I mean the list was really good. Avengers in it would've been fine. But No1? No1 has to be reserved for something special not a Comic book movie ensemble cast. I wouldn't even accept a comedy at No1 in a list.

No1 surely has to be something that touched you personally. Something that's unique.

Like I love Jaws and Aliens, they're never out of a tip ten or even top 5 list for me. But I can't put either at No1 ever. That thing in a movie that connects with you, something special. That's what gets number 1 surely?

Maybe that's just me. As a list is yours to make. Let's say I don't believe you for one second that you believe Avengers is top movie of the last decade. I'd bet anything at all anything that in 4/5 years there's no way it would be top of a similar list.

Well Avengers would, easily, be my #1 as its my favourite movie. One of the reasons you mentioned "a movie that connects with you, something special" and that's exactly why it's my favourite movie of all-time. Basically a dream movie come true and was bloody fantastic to top it off.

Also, on behalf of briggaman, he did state that the list wasn't in any particular order.

I'm not really a comic book fan, I didn't know much about the Marvell universe, and I'd only (just about) seen Thor and Iron Man before Avengers came out. Yet I could still comfortably put it as one of my favourite ever films. The amazement from when Iron Man starts fighting Thor, then Hulk gets involved with beating up Loki. And the fact there are no weak or boring parts of the film. It's pure popcorn entertainment, which is every bit as important as any other type of cinema.

not to mention the director had almost as big a fascination of Scarlett Johansson's arse as I do  .. the obligatory shots of it throughout the film were most welcome

Everybody would probably be able to produce two different "best of" lists for stuff like films, music, etc.

The stuff that you objectively recognise as being in some way "great" (influential, unique, whatever) - and those that you just love for personal reasons (often to do with childhood nostalgia).

My list of "favourite" films would probably be topped by John Ford's "She Wore a Yellow Ribbon", simply because I loved it when I was a kid. But I wouldn't say it was the best film ever made, by any stretch.

• Like 1

Catching up on the lists for the top 20 of the "noughties" a couple of pages ago and not one mention for the Dark Knight.

I'll do my top 20 later.

And yes TDK will be in there.

If anyone's arsed (I doubt it) this is IMDB's take on the top films between 2000-2010

1. The Dark Knight

2. Return of the King

3.Fellowship of the Ring

4. Inception

5. The Two Towers

6. City of God

7. Memento

8. Spirited Away

9.  The Pianist

10. The Departed

11. Gladiator

12. Wall-E

13. The Lives of Others

14. Toy Story 3

15. The Prestige

16. Amelie

17. Requiem for a Dream

18. Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind

19. Oldboy

20. Batman Begins

Edited by theunderstudy

The Dark Knight Return of the King Fellowship of the Ring Inception The Two Towers City of God Memento Spirited Away The Pianist The Departed Gladiator Wall-E The Lives of Others Toy Story 3 The Prestige Amelie Requiem for a Dream Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind Oldboy Batman Begins            

that's a long title for a film

See mine probably wouldn't have any of those in it ..maybe The Prestige

in no particular order , my top 10  films that I rated from the 00's would be

To Kill a King

Across the Universe

The Great Debaters

Stranger than Fiction

Gone Baby Gone

He was a quiet man

The Pianist

Wall - E

Downfall

Grand Torino

not your typical list ( which I still think in a lot of cases are influenced by films people feel obliged to put in there or face ridicule  !!)

they are films I've enjoyed ..and would be happy to watch again and again 

Avengers , TDK  etc were enjoyable enough , but I wouldn't go back and watch them again

If anyone's arsed (I doubt it) this is IMDB's take on the top films between 2000-2010

1. The Dark Knight

2. Return of the King

3.Fellowship of the Ring

4. Inception

5. The Two Towers

6. City of God

7. Memento

8. Spirited Away

9. The Pianist

10. The Departed

11. Gladiator

12. Wall-E

13. The Lives of Others

14. Toy Story 3

15. The Prestige

16. Amelie

17. Requiem for a Dream

18. Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind

19. Oldboy

20. Batman Begins

I used to swear by the imdb but the comic book geeks and the retarded have ruined that site.

At one stage on there the dark knight was rated above the godfather for gods sake.now its ranked the 6th best film ever!! and as if inception is rated that high also above oldbpy, city of god, the departed etc. Imdb has been ruined and id honestly take no notice of it.

Edited by donnie

To Kill a King

Across the Universe

The Great Debaters

Stranger than Fiction

Gone Baby Gone

He was a quiet man

The Pianist

Wall - E

Downfall

Grand Torino

only seen 3 of those, not heard of 5 of them!

I've heard of the last four (and seen three of them).

See mine probably wouldn't have any of those in it ..maybe The Prestige

in no particular order , my top 10 films that I rated from the 00's would be

To Kill a King

Across the Universe

The Great Debaters

Stranger than Fiction

Gone Baby Gone

He was a quiet man

The Pianist

Wall - E

Downfall

Grand Torino

not your typical list ( which I still think in a lot of cases are influenced by films people feel obliged to put in there or face ridicule !!)

they are films I've enjoyed ..and would be happy to watch again and again

Avengers , TDK etc were enjoyable enough , but I wouldn't go back and watch them again

You have just randomly picked a few films no one has ever heard of too make you seem cool haven't you lol

Â