The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

Finally got round to reading The Rum Diary recently, and watched the film last night.  It's received mixed reviews and I can see why.  Depp clearly wanted to pay homage to Hunter S. Thompson in the film, which was evident in how he played the role and the altered events (when compared to the book) particularly towards the end of the film.  Whilst I admire this, it seemed to detract from the magic of the novel somewhat, for me - as did the absence of Yeamon, who I thought was a great character in the text.  However, I wouldn't say this is simply a case of "surprise, surprise - the book is better than the film", as it's an interesting take and does capture some of the feel quite well.  Overall, though, I was a little disappointed.

Still, it's good to see Depp playing something other than Jack Sparrow (as good as that character is) or the lead in a Tim Burton movie.

Finally got round to reading The Rum Diary recently, and watched the film last night. It's received mixed reviews and I can see why. Depp clearly wanted to pay homage to Hunter S. Thompson in the film, which was evident in how he played the role and the altered events (when compared to the book) particularly towards the end of the film. Whilst I admire this, it seemed to detract from the magic of the novel somewhat, for me - as did the absence of Yeamon, who I thought was a great character in the text. However, I wouldn't say this is simply a case of "surprise, surprise - the book is better than the film", as it's an interesting take and does capture some of the feel quite well. Overall, though, I was a little disappointed.

Still, it's good to see Depp playing something other than Jack Sparrow (as good as that character is) or the lead in a Tim Burton movie.

haven't seen the film, but having read the book I remember thinking that Depp is about 30 years to old to play that role

I only just heard Ebert was ill again and now he's dead. So sad. He seemed like a nice chap as well. I think his previous illness informed some of his later reviews. 

RIP

(although I disagree that he's a nice chap)

Yeah, it's decent enough.  Went to see Ghostbusters up there last time we were in the area.  Bring your own snacks and drinks, though.

Edited by GarethRDR

Its good but should have been better and faaaaar shorter. Suffers from nothing really happening other than a load of set up.

You'll enjoy it more if you love the Lord of the Rings and just want more of that world, albeit a much more family friendly one.

Has anyone been to the Electric Cinema before? Just bought some tickets to go see The Place Beyond the Pines. Seems to be the only cinema showing it. 

Absolutely love the place, easily my favourite cinema. It's not the best for 'Blockbuster' type movies, but for the more low key affairs it's ambiance is second to none.

Edited by Designer1

Caught an hour of Loft during the week.

Got really hooked but missed the end! Will definitely be watching it again this weekend. American remake coming out at the end of the year.

9302539.jpg?376

Edited by Tomaszk

Its good but should have been better and faaaaar shorter. Suffers from nothing really happening other than a load of set up.

You'll enjoy it more if you love the Lord of the Rings and just want more of that world, albeit a much more family friendly one.

Cheers mate

Thatcher's funeral has postponed the Iron Man 3 premiere in London. Iron Lady beats Iron Man...

Out of interest, whose decision was it? (Marvel/distributor or another organisation?)

Jesus, after just watching it, I have just realised The Thing (Kurt Russell) is 31 years old. Coitus that makes me feel old. Still some of the best sfx in a film I reckon. A classic.

Jesus, after just watching it, I have just realised The Thing (Kurt Russell) is 31 years old. Coitus that makes me feel old. Still some of the best sfx in a film I reckon. A classic.

Rob Bottin - utter twisted genius. 

Edited by Designer1

Â