The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

RobotAndFrank.png

Watched this tonight. Very good indeed and has much more depth than is initially apparent.

And as a big fan of Frank Langella, it's great to see him get a platform for a truly excellent performance. Well recommended.

Just caught the end of 'Clear and Present Danger'. Old school action, espionage and drama. Don't make 'em like that anymore. Willem DaFoe is awesome in this as well. Heard there's a new Jack Ryan film out soon with Captain Kirk in it, fingers crossed its good.

Just caught the end of 'Clear and Present Danger'. Old school action, espionage and drama. Don't make 'em like that anymore. Willem DaFoe is awesome in this as well. Heard there's a new Jack Ryan film out soon with Captain Kirk in it, fingers crossed its good.

Great movie, still very watchable even though I've seen it about 10 times

Elysium trailer dropped a couple of days ago. You can tell immediately it's from the director of District 9.

It's quite an old school trailer, keeping it's spectacle to itself and playing up the films concept/set up/plot. Anyway, I love the ideas already, not so sure about some of the look of it which I couldn't level at District 9. Matt Damon's look is a bit... hokey.

Quick bit o trivia .....can you name the three actors to play "jack ryan"   ...dont google 

"All dames are alike: they reach down your throat so they can grab your heart, pull it out and they throw it on the floor, and they step on 'em with their high heels, they spit on it, shove it in the oven and they cook the shit out of it. Then they slice it into little pieces, slam it on a hunk of toast, and they serve it to you. And they expect you to say, "Thanks, honey, it's delicious."

Just seen 'Sightseers'.

sightseers-poster-2.jpg

I thought it was a nice little film, very dark and funny.

It's about two 30 somethings from Redditch who go on a caravan holiday and start knocking off the people that irk them along the way. 

• Like 1

Just seen 'Sightseers'.

sightseers-poster-2.jpg

I thought it was a nice little film, very dark and funny.

It's about two 30 somethings from Redditch who go on a caravan holiday and start knocking off the people that irk them along the way. 

"Totally ruined the Tram museum for me".

oblivion

its ok, watchable if you dont mind cruise cos he's on screen 99% of the time, it looks and sounds great, soundtrack especially is really good, the support cast is good, overall the story is good, but it felt like it had robbed elements from a lot of other sci fi films (bits of moon, idependence day, star wars) and doesnt do them anywhere near as well, its got 1 major twist and several other minor ones which are all well enough written but very predictable, i also thought that it went down 2 hollywood routes which weakened the film - a chase / action sequence that it didnt need and it explained everything, especially a flashback at the end, that better films just wouldnt do

Talking of Cruise... Watched Vanilla Sky last night for the first time in a few years. I think it is absolutely superb. Haven't seen the original Spanish version but will source that out in the near future. 

oblivion

its ok, watchable if you dont mind cruise cos he's on screen 99% of the time, it looks and sounds great, soundtrack especially is really good, the support cast is good, overall the story is good, but it felt like it had robbed elements from a lot of other sci fi films (bits of moon, idependence day, star wars) and doesnt do them anywhere near as well, its got 1 major twist and several other minor ones which are all well enough written but very predictable, i also thought that it went down 2 hollywood routes which weakened the film - a chase / action sequence that it didnt need and it explained everything, especially a flashback at the end, that better films just wouldnt do

A lot of people will dismiss this film because of Cruise in the leading role. Its a well above average sci fi - thought the intro was overly long (its about an hour setting the scene) - and the ending is slightly weak. But certainly one of the better films doing the rounds at the moment.

Trance is also another good film at the moment

Edited by smetrov

Why would Tom Cruise scare anyone off? I mean, he's been in a fair few big movies and he's had a career that most actors could kill for. He's not an Oscar great actor, but he's still a very good actor.

Why would Tom Cruise scare anyone off? I mean, he's been in a fair few big movies and he's had a career that most actors could kill for. He's not an Oscar great actor, but he's still a very good actor.

I agree - I just think people think tom cruise = trashy hollywood actor

I agree - I just think people think tom cruise = trashy hollywood actor

Yeah, for some reason that's probably the case. I remember when he broke through. Everyone thought he did it because of his looks, and he probably did in the beginning.

Â