The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

i havent fot a problem with cruise, doesnt put me off in the slightest, but i know others that are put off watching his films, everyone has an actor who puts them off dont they? mines nic cage

cruise has had his moments over the years, the shit about whats her face not being allowed to wear heels cos she was taller than him, oprah, the god awful war of the worlds (if you read reviews of oblivion a fair few of them start with "the last time cruise did sci fi..."), the negative stuff about jack reacher (in which i thought he was very good) he gets his share of bad press

True. And I always forget the part of him being a scientologist which I guess puts many people off too. Whilst he mgiht be an idiot when it comes to a few things, I tend to forget all those things and don't let them affect me when I watch his movies. :) And yes, I guess. I guess mine is Ben Stiller, even if I like the first two Focker's movies.

I like Tom cruise, has a lot of time for those fans who attend his premiers it seems.

I think my top five performances of his are -

5. The Outsiders

MV5BMTcxMDQ0OTM3OV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTYwNTkx

The actors pulled some pranks in the hotel in which they stayed while shooting this movie. Years later, Tom was introduced to someone who said he worked at the hotel Cruise and the rest of the cast stayed in while they shot this movie. The first thing Cruise said when he heard that was "I'm sorry."

4. Born on the Fourth of July

220px-Born_On_The_4th_Of_July.jpg

The studio was initially very dubious about the casting of him in the lead as he hadn't really tackled such a heavily dramatic role before.

3. The Color of Money

MV5BMjE3MDk5NjEyMl5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMTYy

He did his own trick shots for the film, except for one in which he had to jump two balls to sink another. Scorsese said he could have let Cruise learn the shot, but it would have taken two extra days of practice, holding up production and costing thousands of dollars. The shot was instead performed by professional player Mike Sigel.

2. Interview with the Vampire: The Vampire Chronicles

MV5BMTIzMTIxOTg1NV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwOTM0

Where he prepared for the role by watching videos of lions attacking Zebras.

Yes I've bought my vagina to the list

1. Magnolia

MV5BMTIwNDc3MjQzNV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMDUz

Where a banned word on this site is said 190 times.

Magnolia is t'riffic.

He can act but now he just plays Tom Cruise. Happens to most actors, really, at least those within the Hollywood machine. Outside there tends to be less pressure to be Tom Cruise etc.

Probably why the 'mericans have 'character actors' whereas over here we just call them actors.

To continue the Cruise debate

I think he is the balls

he's done so many great films and I think he is a terrific actor

sure he phones in the odd performance every now and again but his body of work stands up to most "respected" actors

his speech to his dying father in Magnolia is one of my all time favourite scenes

I also think he seems like a great guy off camera, his co stars always have nice things to say about him

a lass at my work said to me the other day "urgh i hate Tom Cruise, awful person and actor"

turns out she had seen 2 of his films....nuff said!

On another note, I ahd a day off today so watched two films.

The Master. Gets a meh from me. Phoenix and Hoffman are both excellent in it, but the story just didn't do very much for me. Interesting enough but just not enough going on for me to really get into it.

Silver Linings Playbook. Really enjoyed this one. Jennifer Lawrence has never looked so hot (imo) and Bradley Cooper is quickly rubbishing my claims that he can't act for shit. he really can and is definitely growing on me (bodes well for APBTP which I'm seeing this week)

Tom Cruise.

I think he's a fantastic actor and has done some amazing films over the years.

Apparently he's a really nice guy out and about.

He just makes me uneasy with the scientology and how bad he reacted on Balls of Steel to a simple prank. 

Really reminded me of this guy, and that creeps me out. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VDES0VXlmFI&feature=player_detailpage#t=226s

Edited by darrenm

Â