The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

I'll climb on board too.

My admiration of Gosling is getting out of hand.

Join the club. I've been a fan since 'The Notebook' and my mates have this constant joke that I fancy him. I don't but he's a bloody good actor.

This could sound very ghey but I've gone on a bit of a gosling binge lately myself, in fact he could be my favourite actor of all time and I wish I was as awesome as him :(

Watched Drive/Notebook/Crazy,Stupid,Love recently which were all bloody excellent and I've got Ides of March ready to watch.

Any other must see Gosling films?

'Fracture', 'Blue Valentine', 'Lars and the Real Girl' and 'Half Nelson' are all worth seeing too if you like Gosling. 'All Good Things' is worth seeing just for his acting, yet the film itself isn't that great. Avoid 'Stay' at all costs as it's an awful film in my opinion, despite Gosling putting in his usual solid performance.

Anyone got any idea why you can't get any of the marvel films of bluray in HMV?

I hadto get them on DVD for someone and thought I would take a look and see how much the bluray was but couldnt see any of them any where

Some of the older films, the Incredible Hulk in particular, have been like hens teeth on the High Street for ages. And I've heard that, since the run up to the Avengers, the films all became quite hard to find.

HMV do have Thor and Cap as steelbook blurays, but both are rare and both are usually at a premium.

You can get them all on Amazon. Saves going into that overpriced HMV store...

Actually, I just noticed that 'Captain America' is around £20 and 'Thor' is around £25 on Amazon. Guess it isn't cheap. 'The Incredible Hulk' can be purchased for a reasonable price though.

Some of the older films, the Incredible Hulk in particular, have been like hens teeth on the High Street for ages. And I've heard that, since the run up to the Avengers, the films all became quite hard to find.

HMV do have Thor and Cap as steelbook blurays, but both are rare and both are usually at a premium.

Yeah I've been wanting to get the lot in steelbook Blu-Rays but it's going to be expensive!

The Incredible Hulk you can get in Blu-Ray steelbook for £9.99 on play, the others best bet is probably eBay.

This could sound very ghey but I've gone on a bit of a gosling binge lately myself, in fact he could be my favourite actor of all time and I wish I was as awesome as him :(

Watched Drive/Notebook/Crazy,Stupid,Love recently which were all bloody excellent and I've got Ides of March ready to watch.

Any other must see Gosling films?

I'll second briggaman's 'Fracture' as Gosling stars alongside the wonderful Anthony Hopkins.

Here are two I saw recently.

Another Earth - a nice premise and a low budget directed very well. The young lady playing the lead role was superb. I am a great lover of movies that serve up a 'what does that actually mean, then?' ending, and this one had a doozy. I settled on my answer as to what it meant quite quickly, but was encouraged to read on IMDB that it certainly isnt the definitive answer (there isnt one (which is good)).

Lake Mungo - Creepy **** film. There are many reasons to dislike this, the fact it's a mockumentary complete with 'interviews', and 'police footage', and 'news broadcasts'. The whiny Australian accent is particulary grating? I don't know why they emphasis **** words so much, but it's mighty annoying? And then there's the acting, which is off putting. Although it's easy to be hyper critical of it, as the idea is that everything is 'real' (there isnt ever any mention that what you are watching is real though, it's just presented that way. Which is good, I don't really like when films do that), and I imagine the job of the actors to just be, well, normal, must be quite a difficult thing to replicate.

BUT. It sounds wonderful. The sound effects and original soundtrack using was properly good. And although the film did chop and change from 'interview' to 'home camera' to 'phone camera' footage frequently, it all flowed nicely. The best thing about it though it that it is just creepy as **** at times. Towards the end of the movie when they actually visit Lake Mungo inparticular...what an unsettling place. And some of the images from around the house aswell. It was quite like those 'scary/weird' viral videos you see that emerge from Something Awful or such places every now and again, but in full length movie format.

It was nearly neaaarly very good...but not quite there.

Going back to my earlier post about which action movies from that list I should watch, I have Point Break ready to watch now. It looks cooooool mannnnnn

Have anyone seen Dream house with Daniel Craig?

I thought it was awful mate. Great cast but it's all over the place plotwise and some of the script is laughable.

Classic case of studio interferes and end product suffers as a result.

I'll climb on board too.

My admiration of Gosling is getting out of hand.

Join the club. I've been a fan since 'The Notebook' and my mates have this constant joke that I fancy him. I don't but he's a bloody good actor.

If I had to **** a bloke ,he'd be top of the list for sure.

Pretty gay. Not bothered.

Haven't seen Fracture or Half Nelson. Might have to set that straight this weekend!

Ok, saw a trailer yesterday and it looked good. But when did a trailer ever make a film look bad? :) Apart from Minority report, which is a great film but the trailer put me off at first.

I think the MiB 3 trailer is pretty terrible. Didn't make me want to watch it.

And off the top of my head "Meet the Parents: Little Fockers" had basically the worst trailer I've ever seen. It wasn't remotely funny. And if the TRAILER isn't funny, I don't hold out much hope for the film itself!

Yeah I've been wanting to get the lot in steelbook Blu-Rays but it's going to be expensive!

The Incredible Hulk you can get in Blu-Ray steelbook for £9.99 on play, the others best bet is probably eBay.

Steelbooks are an expensive thing to collect, I can tell you! I've only got... 5 or 6, and a number of them, once they go out of print or become particularly rare, become very expensive.

I've got the Cap steel - very nice. I didn't get Thor because, at the time, I wasn't sure about how much I was going to like Thor so didn't want to invest the extra on the steel, turns out now I wouldn't mind getting it it's often up near £25 instore (though rumours abound some stores have reduced it to £12/£15, complete pot luck but a very, very nice steel).

Couple of things to bear in mind if you want to get the Marvel film steelbooks. First one, and the most important - you aren't getting Iron Man, and less so, Iron Man 2. Iron Man was never released as a steelbook in the UK, so import editions only are available, and all of them demand a high price. The most popular one, from Canadian retailer Future Shop, goes for silly money and is quite rare. Same goes for Iron Man 2, but less so. And because you would be looking at importing, you need to worry about regions and region playback on your bluray player and so on (and sometimes it's more difficult than it sounds as some studios don't bother with region coding at all, others region code some releases, etc etc).

Second thing, the Incredible Hulk release from Play, is part of an anniversary collection from the studio Universal, and all are nice releases and great value, especially as it's the first steel release of the Incredible Hulk. However, all of them are what is known as 'quersteelbooks', which some people don't like. It means that they are horizontal, designed to be displayed in such a way that any other disc would be sitting on it's side. Which means it would look a bit weird in amongst your other Marvel releases.

And thirdly - it's strangely addictive! Most people will think this is mad, but... the steelbook cases just look really good, a good steelbook is almost like having a little piece of film art, like having a really good release poster or something. The best ones just look so nice and feel quality.

Steelbooks are an expensive thing to collect, I can tell you! I've only got... 5 or 6, and a number of them, once they go out of print or become particularly rare, become very expensive.

I've got the Cap steel - very nice. I didn't get Thor because, at the time, I wasn't sure about how much I was going to like Thor so didn't want to invest the extra on the steel, turns out now I wouldn't mind getting it it's often up near £25 instore (though rumours abound some stores have reduced it to £12/£15, complete pot luck but a very, very nice steel).

Couple of things to bear in mind if you want to get the Marvel film steelbooks. First one, and the most important - you aren't getting Iron Man, and less so, Iron Man 2. Iron Man was never released as a steelbook in the UK, so import editions only are available, and all of them demand a high price. The most popular one, from Canadian retailer Future Shop, goes for silly money and is quite rare. Same goes for Iron Man 2, but less so. And because you would be looking at importing, you need to worry about regions and region playback on your bluray player and so on (and sometimes it's more difficult than it sounds as some studios don't bother with region coding at all, others region code some releases, etc etc).

Second thing, the Incredible Hulk release from Play, is part of an anniversary collection from the studio Universal, and all are nice releases and great value, especially as it's the first steel release of the Incredible Hulk. However, all of them are what is known as 'quersteelbooks', which some people don't like. It means that they are horizontal, designed to be displayed in such a way that any other disc would be sitting on it's side. Which means it would look a bit weird in amongst your other Marvel releases.

And thirdly - it's strangely addictive! Most people will think this is mad, but... the steelbook cases just look really good, a good steelbook is almost like having a little piece of film art, like having a really good release poster or something. The best ones just look so nice and feel quality.

Yeah I saw TIH was an anniversary one. Looking at the Iron Man ones it seems very difficult to find them English language, so I'll probably give it a miss and collect them all in regular Blu-Ray - or wait and see if they bring out the first 6 movies in some sort of box set of sorts.

I agree that certain things can become addictive in a way. I remember thinking buying Blu-Rays at all was pointless, why not just buy the DVD, it's cheaper? But I saw the Alien boxset for £9.99 and thought 'why not?' at that price, looks great and the quality is outstanding, now I'm finding myself buying tonnes.

Â