The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

Watched The Grey last night and enjoyed it - pretty decent plotline about a bunch of riggers who's plane crashes in the wilderness where they piss off a load of wolves.

Neeson is again decent and so are the supporting actors including Dermot Mulroney and Frank Grillo.

Worth a viewing!

Watched The Grey last night and enjoyed it - pretty decent plotline about a bunch of riggers who's plane crashes in the wilderness where they piss off a load of wolves.

Neeson is again decent and so are the supporting actors including Dermot Mulroney and Frank Grillo.

Worth a viewing!

Really, I thought it was dull. Never really got any of the characters well developed enough to care if they lived or died (it being obvious there could only be SPOILER one survivor)

Worth a viewing!

Really, I thought it was dull. Never really got any of the characters well developed enough to care if they lived or died (it being obvious there could only be SPOILER one survivor)

Strange but I suppose different films suit different people!

Tonight, it's the turn of Machine Gun Preacher!

Iron Sky. Nazis on the moon. Felt a bit let down by it although it is entertaining.

havent seen it but reminds me of Snakes on a Plane which also had lots of internet hype just from the name alone that was a letdown

Watched The Dictator earlier. Some very funny parts in that and there were also a few parts that I am surprised were allowed to be used in the film. It's not as good as I was hoping it to be but it's still funny and definitely worth a watch.

Watched The Messenger last night. I can't put my finger on why I liked it. I just kind of did. A good cast and no bells and whistles.

Drive was my favourite film of last year. It's superb, effortlessly cool, has a great soundtrack, and Carey Mulligan in it. Theres little wrong with it. Completely took me by surprise at the cinema.

Which is part of the reason why I want to see what Mike makes of it. I have an inkling, but I'll be keen to hear the judgement of it.

Mentioning Drive actually, Winding-Refn is doing another film at the moment with Gosling, called Only God Forgives. Ain't It Cool saw a bit of it at Cannes...

...Thierry introduced everything in his native tongue, so it wasn’t until I heard something like “French-french-french-frenchy-french-Nicolas Winding Refn-french-french” that I knew we were seeing some footage from this film.

We didn’t see much, just an extended scene, what I’m told is the beginning of the movie, but from I’ve seen I can say without a doubt that this might not be a sequel to Drive, but it feels like a shared universe.

first-look-ryan-gosling-only-god-forgives.jpg

Of course there are a few Drive touchstones in the footage: long tracking shots, liberal use of neon lighting (in this case purple and green) and a silent, but violent Ryan Gosling.

The footage opened with a long dolly shot down a dark and exotic hallway, overlaid with titles in a foreign language I’m pretty sure was Thai. As you can imagine, already not fully understanding the intro, I was a bit confused.

It was also confusing that the dolly tracks were still visible on the floor. I’d guess those will be removed digitally in the finished film, but they oddly fit with the gaudy font and foreign titles, so maybe they were intentionally left in.

There’s not a whole lot to the footage, honestly. The camera finds a room in what now seems to be a club of some sort, possibly a high-end strip club. Two Thai men in white suits sit laughing on a long couch in one corner, Gosling sits in another staring at a nervous looking girl holding a microphone. She’s not singing or looking like she’s about to sing, just standing there looking sad and lost in her thoughts.

Gosling stands abruptly, walks calmly over to the two Thai men having a good time and proceeds to smash one of the men’s drinks into this face, shattering the glass against his teeth.

Punches are thrown, Gosling dominating the fight, which continues out into the hall where Gosling grabs the hurt man by THE MOUTH (he’s lying on the floor, gasping in pain and Gosling just goes ahead and sticks his hand into the dude’s mouth and drags him down the hall by his upper jaw) and throws him out of the building.

The man’s friend kicks Gosling from behind, they brawl and Gosling ends up not only beating them both, he decides that’s not enough and removes his belt and starts a-whippin’.

That’s it. So, yeah, no real grasp of the story, but some good old fashioned silent-but-deadly Gosling violence.

Like I said, tonally this feels like it could exist in the Drive universe, which is a good thing in my book. ...

Linky

Sounds... interesting. I'll be on board to see it.

I'd go gay for him, without doubt.

Blue Valentine/Half Nelson/Drive is a good few hours. Not the most cheerful, mind.

Anyway, I'm still pissed off about the Gatsby trailer. I mean, it looks right, but it has JAY ****' Z. What's that about? I'm not too much of a snob to hate the use of modern music in period pieces, but the book defines the Jazz age, it doesn't sit with me at all.I'll still see it just to drool over Ms Mulligan, although the lady who plays Jordan Baker is a pretty thing. I like DiCaprio, but I can already feel the weight of his acting. I expect to see a lot of shots of him looking tense, maybe a little sweaty and scratching his neck.

IMO it can't be filmed, because so much of it is in the writing. But I'll give it a chance.

Anyone got any idea why you can't get any of the marvel films of bluray in HMV?

I hadto get them on DVD for someone and thought I would take a look and see how much the bluray was but couldnt see any of them any where

Â