The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

I'd almost have liked to see what Norton would have done in the role. I imagine Banner would have been in every scene. Even the ones inside the Iron Man armour...

Just remembered a great bit

You mewling quim!

:crylaugh:

Cap and Peggy reunion

Wouldn't she be about 100 now? It bugs me a bit that the timeline doesn't seem to fit, Stark's Dad would be over a hundred himself by 'now' wouldn't he?

As for the film, I loved it, with it being a late saturday showing there was some laughter that I've never experienced in a cinema before, after a couple of the Hulk scenes led to 20-30 seconds of raucous laughter that actually got a bit annoying... There was also a scene with Cap, the 'perimeter' scene which I partucularly liked.

Thought the Threed was rather pointless, never really been a fan. and wasn't quite sure about the scene when the Hulk went mental and Black Widow, nor what the point of Hawkeye was (did they plan to have a film with him in it first?).

I've never read a comic in my life but I've enjoyed most of Marvel's films, easily an 9/10 for me

Just got round to watching the remake of 'The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo'. Very good i have to say!

Rooney Mara - even with all that shit in her face and a daft haircut - she'd deffo get it!

Just finished watching this, pretty good movie anbd I agree with what you said about Mara - there was definitely a bit or trouser movement when she got her kit off! I would!

Just got round to watching the remake of 'The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo'. Very good i have to say!

Rooney Mara - even with all that shit in her face and a daft haircut - she'd deffo get it!

Just finished watching this, pretty good movie anbd I agree with what you said about Mara - there was definitely a bit or trouser movement when she got her kit off! I would!

Agreed.

And also a much better fit than Rapace for the role. Rapace was very good, but Mara was much closer to how the book portrayed Salander than Rapace was, imo.

Cap and Peggy reunion

Wouldn't she be about 100 now? It bugs me a bit that the timeline doesn't seem to fit, Stark's Dad would be over a hundred himself by 'now' wouldn't he?

Yeah the timeline doesn't really work in reality. I think that's mostly because the history of Howard Stark and Captain America were based on WW2. The likes of Iron Man and Hulk were written in the time the comics were made (60s).

Obviously for the movies they had to keep Howard/Caps history based on WW2 since that was a huge part of their history, but they wanted to bring the other characters into a modern day setting. By the movie logic, Howard would've been about 60 when he had Tony!

nor what the point of Hawkeye was (did they plan to have a film with him in it first?).

He was briefly in Thor, when Thor fights through the SHIELD security to get to his hammer, as he tries to pick it up, Hawkeye is ready to fire an arrow at him from the birds nest. He's not particularly important, but he gives SHIELD more 'strength' rather than them being a bunch of generic, meaningless, 'soldiers'.

Agreed.

And also a much better fit than Rapace for the role. Rapace was very good, but Mara was much closer to how the book portrayed Salander than Rapace was, imo.

No, not really. One thing. Salander would never ask for permission to kill a man. She'd never ask for permission to do anything.

I think both films are quite good, but the "remake" just edges it. But Craig as Blomkvist is a lot better than the quite boring Nyqvist.

Agreed.

No, not really. One thing. Salander would never ask for permission to kill a man. She'd never ask for permission to do anything.

I think both films are quite good, but the "remake" just edges it. But Craig as Blomkvist is a lot better than the quite boring Nyqvist.

Not sure what bit you're referring to, but regardless I was more talking abotu the looks and attitude of the character than anything in the script.

Agreed.

Not sure what bit you're referring to, but regardless I was more talking abotu the looks and attitude of the character than anything in the script.

In the end she's asking for Blomkvists permission to kill Martin Wanger, and that's against her nature, wouldn't you say? Maybe not Maras fault and more down to Fincher. Their looks are quite similar, I think. No, I think they're equally good.

Nah their looks are different. Rapace is downright muscular, and quite imposing.

The reason Salander is a good character in that respect is that it's so surprising when she shows strength and fight, because of her skinny and even frail frame. I don't think Rapace's version gets that right at all. You see Rapace and think "yeah, she looks like she could put up a fight". Whereas Mara's version is much closer to the harmless (in terms of physique) looking Salander from the book.

Plus I think Rapace's Salander is too attractive.

Again Salander is supposed to be attractive, but in a way that you're not really sure why she's attractive. Certainly not in a conventional way. Mara's version absolutely nails that I think.

And I think Rapace's version is much too "accessible" for Salander. She's not introverted enough I don't think.

I'm not sure Mara's version quite nails that introvertness either but I think her character does it as well as can be hoped for a film version of the story.

It's nothing really to do with the actresses. They both do an excellent job. I just think the character of Salander in the US version is a much more accurate interpretation of the book's character than the Swedish version.

Maybe I've thought about it too much, but after reading the books and watching the Swedish film (before I even knew about the US version) I was left a bit disappointed by Rapace's Salander.

Watched this at the weekend:

MV5BMTY5NDgzNDk3Nl5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwODk5OTgzMQ@@._V1._SY317_CR5,0,214,317_.jpg

It appears it has a very poor reputation (Amazon reviews & IMDb rating):

fallen.JPG

I thought it was bloody good. Done by an unknown (to me) director, on a limited budget, semi-amateur actors and lots of setbacks (according to the 'making of' documentary - which is hilarious, and far more worth watching than the mainstream Hollywood ones usually are). It's a million miles removed from the grandiose emotional manipulation of a "Saving Private Ryan", and to me probably captures the messy reality of war far better than your typical Hollywood epic. The technical detail pretty is good, too.

I'm dying to go see it again - hopefully going with mates tomorrow night or Wednesday. Gonna settle back into a bit this time, I was on the edge of my seat for the whole thing last time.

Apart from when the film broke and melted.

Agreed.

I haven't seen the original film, but I have read the book and I watched the Craig and Mara version last night. It was enjoyable, but there was something a bit off about it for me. I think a lot of it was down to Trent Reznor's music. It was a bit like he was trying too hard to make sure people knew it was him. There's a few times where there's some industrial-style music that just doesn't seem to fit, I also rolled my eyes when Salander went to see Plague and he's wearing a Nine Inch Nails t-shirt and listening to some industrial-metal in the background which I assumed was NIN too.

The thing that really made me wonder whether I really liked it that much though, is the fact that they completely changed the ending from the book concerning Harriet...

The whole ending with Harriet pretending to be Anita Vanger and living in London was quite a clever ending despite not being the true ending like in the books, but it was a bit of a cop-out to claim that Anita died in a car-crash. What about up until that point where the real Anita died? There were two Anita Vangers running about London? It was just a bit weak to me. I understand why they did it, the filmw as long enough as it is and going to Australia to track the real Harriet down would have just made it longer and no doubt more expensive to have to film in another location. I didn't quite see the point for the wire-tap for her phones if she wasn't going to call Harriet in Australia straight after like she does in the books though. It would have been better to think of something else that tips Mikael off as to that Anita is really Harriet. Also, wouldn't Anita's family or friends know that she had been killed and then wonder why there' another Anita Vanger assuming her identity? Maybe I'm thinking too much about it, I was just a bit disappointed that they changed the ending is all.

Â