The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

Kill List was terrible in my opinion - it was alright for a low budget thriller right up until the last 30 minutes. Then it was all about the shock but without the substance. Will not watch again.

Watched We Need To Talk About Kevin last night - another low budget drama but with commanding performances from Tilda Swinton and the two boys who both played her son.

In another director's hands, this could've been a gore filled shout-fest but credit where credit's due - this was an understated 'acting' film, with hardly any dialogue.

Saying that, don't watch this if you're planning your first child with the other half!!!!!

Saw the avengers last night and enjoyed it, best superhero film in a while. Still not in the league as The Dark Knight though and possibly the first Iron man.

Curiously I thought it lacked another gear that would have made it excellent, there were a few silly potholes and the action never got cranked up to the levels I was expecting. The sound was slightly off to not in a technical way just in a way that made you think that the explosions and fight scenes should have been that bit louder and the battles should have had that extra pop.

Still very enjoyable and a nice little scene after the credits.

Without being a film snob, really hoped Avengers would be a spectcular flop. Sick of these Iron Man, captain america, thor, etc films. Now just gonna be endless and any decent films wth an actual storyline will be put to the side to make Iron Man 12 or some shite

I'm going to have to go see Avengers my own. Both daughters going with boyfriends, and my missus scoffed at the suggestion that she go with me. :(

Without being a film snob, really hoped Avengers would be a spectcular flop. Sick of these Iron Man, captain america, thor, etc films. Now just gonna be endless and any decent films wth an actual storyline will be put to the side to make Iron Man 12 or some shite

I have a suggestion. It might be outrageous, but stay with me..

..don't watch them?

Well it is nearly summer, so it's time for the summer blockbusters. You make it sound like these types of films prevent other more serious films getting made, which simply isn't true. There's different types of films out there for different types of people, just some of them seem to be more popular with the majority than others. The sort of films you like to see are still being made, and many will still be shown in the cinema so I don't really know why you're complaining.

For every 'Iron Man', there's a 'The King's Speech', for every 'The Avengers' there's a 'The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo' and various other films I'm sure I haven't heard of. Enjoy the variety.

Oh, and wishing for a film to flop just because it's popular but not your cup of tea does indeed make you sound like a pretentious film snob. Let's face it, if these sorts of films weren't made, and instead more of the films you like were made, then they would in turn become popular, which means you probably wouldn't like them anymore anyway.

I have a suggestion. It might be outrageous, but stay with me..

..don't watch them?

:eek:

I'm a bit sick of the blokes in capes fad too, but I don't watch them and if the money they make is redistributed to help make smaller, more interesting films, then I can live with it.

BTW **** Channel 4 and their spolierific Prometheus trailer. Thankfully my short term memory is shit and I've forgotten most of it.

Saw the Avengers again last night. In glorious 3D because my mate can't read a cinema timetable. First 3D film I've actively been interested to see.

It was alright. Adds next to nothing to the film, breaks a bit (it, strangely, seems unable to handle to things poking out through the 'layers' of dept they've created - at one point Black Widow points a gun out towards the camera and down to the corner of the screen, and the depth didn't work, it fudged up became blurry andlacking detail), and also makes a couple of shots worse - a shot at the end that has the group standing facing the camera, in 2D you have time to take them all in in clarity (and it ends up being a really cool shot). In 3D the perspective is focused on a single point and if you do the same drifitng across the faces the guys at the back are blurry dark and undetailed.

Theres a couple of nice moments - some shoots of characters behind windows work nicely, and shots when the portal opens have a noticable depth into the portal. And the opening has nice depth on rolling shots of the Tesseract. But the problem with all of those is, as per usual with 3D, when you notice 'Wow thats actually a decent bit of 3D', you're made aware that you're looking at a film as opposed to being engrossed watching a film.

But anyway, stands up to repeat viewings really well, the jokes went down well with a bigger audience (although some were missed, not sure if the sound at my local cinema is bollocksed but some of the dialogue in action scenes is drowned out - a lot of people missed Iron Man's crack at Hawkeye in the climax for instance), nobody had a dicky bird about the extra scene, and everyone came out smiling.

GO SEE IT

Shoah is on youtube. The parts that really got to me were the hairdresser and the man who worked on the ovens. I'd read about the subject but here the director is forcing these people to continue with the interviews when they want to stop. It is very upsetting.

- a shot at the end that has the group standing facing the camera, in 2D you have time to take them all in in clarity (and it ends up being a really cool shot).

If it's the one I'm thinking of, it's an awesome shot. Gotta have it as my wallpaper when I can find it!

As like many on here I saw Avengers last night, nothing else to be said. I just feel sorry for all the cinema goers I nerdgasm'd all over. Only the naked female breast beats the Avengers into second place on a list of the greatest things my eyes have seen thus far.

Bad Education - got lost half way through what was going on. I don't care for Almodovar, he's a bit mental.

I really enjoyed Bad Education, I'm a big fan of Gael Garcia Bernal and I thought he was terrific in it. As for Almodovar, Women on the verge of a nervous breakdown ftw! :)

Â