The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

I saw Amelie the other day.

The script, Audrey Tautou and the editing in that film were truely wonderful.

Rated #46 in imdb's all time greatest movies and one I really must get around to seeing.

absolutely magical movie

i love it

Soundtrack is excellant too. Yann Tiersen is a musician all should know.

Speaking of Darren Aronofsky i saw The Wrestler the other day, that's up there with Million Dollar Baby in bleakness! Though Million Dollar Baby is the better film imo.

The Fountain is pretty good too, if a bit of a mind ****.

But i definitely wouldnt have the guy over for a dinner party, he'd probably bring razor blades.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

i cant find it on anywhere CBV but would really like to see it

i watched MWSAG, i liked it, its not "outragously funny" or any of that poster bollocks its IMO just a nice decent story film that you'll sit throughout with a smile on your face

i saw arlington road last night, good film, very good acting in it and a good ending

My mates doing an essay this week that he's decided to do on Lynch films, meaning that I've finally had chance to catch up on a few of his works (I'd seen Eraserhead and Elephant Man, and then just not gotten round to seeing anything else of his.

Anywho, the list has included Blue Velvet, Lost Highway and Mulholland Drive, and I'd happily recommend them all. Mulhollands the most complex but also the most engaging I think, Blue Velvet is at times just mad ('Mummy...Mummy! Baby wants to ****!', etc), and Lost Highway is a bit of a mess but enjoyable all the same.

Mulholland Drive is a **** masterpiece though, cracking film even if we were sat there trying to crack the story as it went on.

Finally got around to getting Blade Runner on Blu-ray. I'd spent quite a bit of money getting all of the other versions over the past and wanted to wait for this one to come down.

The quality on Blu-Ray is absolutely fantastic. It really sharpens the image and makes the colours stand out a lot more. You would almost think it was made within the last five years due to how good it looks. Still a masterpiece and it remains one of my all time favourite films.

Briggaman - some advice, if you will.

For some reason I'd never actually got around to watching Blade Runner. No idea how I managed to go so long having never seen it but I recently saw the Final Cut version.

I know there's a lot of conjecture about which of the many versions is the best - just wondering what your preference is.

For some reason I'd never actually got around to watching Blade Runner. No idea how I managed to go so long having never seen it but I recently saw the Final Cut version.

I know there's a lot of conjecture about which of the many versions is the best - just wondering what your preference is.

The Final Cut on BluRay is the best version I've seen (and I've seen them all) but tbh, as long as you avoid the theatrical release you can't go wrong anyway. How on earth they could remove the 'unicorn' scene from that version is just astonishing, seeing as it's one of the core parts of the story. And as for the paint-by-numbers voice over and 'no expire date' ending...

The Final Cut on BluRay is the best version I've seen (and I've seen them all) but tbh, as long as you avoid the theatrical release you can't go wrong anyway. How on earth they could remove the 'unicorn' scene from that version is just astonishing, seeing as it's one of the core parts of the story. And as for the paint-by-numbers voice over and 'no expire date' ending...

That sums it up pretty well really. The Final Cut version is the way Ridley Scott intended Blade Runner to be originally, with everything he wanted (to an extent). Apparently he didn't even have control over the supposed Director's Cut.

I would say to go for the Final Cut for sure. It is well worth the money in my opinion.

They are doing a good deal on the Blu-Ray version in HMV right now. You can get it in the two for £25 deal. This includes newer releases, so you basically pay full price for a new release and get Blade Runner for about £8. I'm sure you can get it cheaper elsewhere, however I wanted to get Public Enemies aswell, so it was a good deal for me. Two excellent films for £25.

Now you just need to worry about whether or not Deckard is a replicant. :D

My mates doing an essay this week that he's decided to do on Lynch films, meaning that I've finally had chance to catch up on a few of his works (I'd seen Eraserhead and Elephant Man, and then just not gotten round to seeing anything else of his.

Anywho, the list has included Blue Velvet, Lost Highway and Mulholland Drive, and I'd happily recommend them all. Mulhollands the most complex but also the most engaging I think, Blue Velvet is at times just mad ('Mummy...Mummy! Baby wants to ****!', etc), and Lost Highway is a bit of a mess but enjoyable all the same.

Mulholland Drive is a **** masterpiece though, cracking film even if we were sat there trying to crack the story as it went on.

I like Lost Highway the best. I thought Mulholland Drive was trying a bit too hard. Still a cool movie though.

Now you just need to worry about whether or not Deckard is a replicant. :D

I thought it was pretty nailed-on that he was but then maybe I was just looking for it. As soon as it was cleaer Rachel was a replicant, I was sure Deckard was too. Probably spoilt it for myself a little as I was waiting for the big reveal which never came. Still - thoroughly enjoyed it though.

Â