The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

Watch ''La Haine''

Probably the one movie that had the biggest influence on me, next to Battle of Algiers. Immense and another awesome Vincent Cassel performance.

My favourite film. Pulled it to pieces on my Uni course, which can ruin a film; just made me love it even more.

There are just too many. Asking me to pick my favourite film is like asking me my favourite book, or album; can't do it, I'd end up with a massive list - and even that would change from day to day.

If you're not, I dunno what you'd make of it.

I'm not

and

Well I'm not sure what I made of it other than "Nice tits on Naomi Watts"

it's one i probably need to view again armed with this little guide from Lynch

Pay particular attention in the beginning of the film: At least two clues are revealed before the credits.

Notice appearances of the red lampshade.

Can you hear the title of the film that Adam Kesher is auditioning actresses for? Is it mentioned again?

An accident is a terrible event — notice the location of the accident.

Who gives a key, and why?

Notice the robe, the ashtray, the coffee cup.

What is felt, realized, and gathered at the Club Silencio?

Did talent alone help Camilla?

Note the occurrences surrounding the man behind Winkie's.

Where is Aunt Ruth?

i recommend Mulholland Drive.
Watched it at the weekend. It's.... remarkable.

If you're a David Lynch fan you know what to expect. If you're not, I dunno what you'd make of it.

I am and It's a fantastic movie.

Still prefer Inland Empire though. That movie is just mesmerizing.

Synecdoche, New York massively pissed me off. I really wanted it to be great and went in as a huge Kaufman fan - only to quickly realise why he usually stays the fook away from the director's chair.

Great screenwriter, but a terrible director. He needed someone picking that shite apart. It was about 45 minutes too long and the pacing was horrific. I liked the concept, but the execution of it was a monstrosity. Even PS Hoffman couldn't save that sinking ship.

I'll stick to Eternal Sunshine, Malkovich and Adaptation for my Kaufman fix.

Mulholland Drive, on the other hand, is a stunning piece of work and the best film since the turn of the decade.

I have a film to recommend.........................that you dont waste a second watching. "Observe & Report". When was the last time Seth Rogen actually made something that was funny?

This was beyond dire.

Not sure if I have already posted this, however 'Empire of the Sun' in an absolute must see. It's a Spielberg film and stars Christian Bale when he was a little lad and John Malkovich. Even if you aren't a fan of these two, try watching it anyway as it is brilliant in my opinion. The book is also worth a read.

empire_of_the_sun.jpg

I actually think I have mentioned it in this thread before, but oh well. It deserves another mention. :D

Bubba Ho-Tep. The concept is stupid, but brilliant. Elvis is in a Southern retirement home, having grown tired of fame in the 70s and given it all to the best impersonator he could find, who subsequently died on the loo 1977. Suddenly people start dying in the retirement home and Elvis, along with JFK (pathed up after the assassination attempt, dyed black, and forgotten about) investigate why.

It's really short, has Bruce Campbell as Elvis, low bugget stuff that just makes you smile with it's brilliance.

• Like 1

^The Campbell is a legend!^

For you obscure film-nuts out there, my brother has tipped me off to a real old film called 'The Testament of Doctor Mabuse'.

If you want a brilliant 'remake' try the Malaysian Bond-spoof 'For Your Height Only'. B-Movieingly brilliant!

For+Your+Height+Only+UK+video+cover.jpg

Â