The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

1 hour ago, mikeyp102 said:

Not disputing that they did Jungle Book well, just fed up of seeing new versions of films, you'd hope that writers could come up with something new.

remaking Jumanji is quite figuratively boiling my piss

4 hours ago, Rodders said:

remaking Jumanji is quite figuratively boiling my piss

It's not a remake, it's a 'continuation'. I assume that means sequel. Either way, the main characters have different names to the ones in the first film.

In other news, I'm going to see Swiss-Army Man next week. It looks bonkers, can't wait... :D

21 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

But it's got the rock in it so I'll probably give it a go

I'll be watching it for Karen Gillan in crop top and shorts :wub:

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, Xela said:

Watching Bridge of Spies later. Looking forward to it

It's OK, but could have been even better with a bit more restraint.

It has some very good acting in it (particularly Mark Rylance) but it suffers from Spielberg's usual OTT dashes of signposted sentimentality and on the nose emotional tugs (yes, we know we're supposed to be appalled/uplifted etc Steven, you don't have to be so bleeding obvious about it).

• Like 1

Talking of pointless remakes, I watched the rebooted point break last night (I am a sucker for punishment)

What an unholy bag of monkey dung!

The only saving grace was the scenery, with the film coming across as a 'billabong' extreme sports film with a poorly scripted and acted heist story shoehorned in between stunts. 

The villains, weren't even villains! Just a bunch of hipsters with no substance. As for new johnny Utah, the director actually found an actor that out-woodened keanu reeves! 

The original is undoubtedly flawed but is still a great movie. This remake is why they should just leave well alone and think of some original material. 

• Like 1

Of all the films that don't need a remake, Point Break is up there. Not necessarily because it's the greatest movie (though it is a favourite) but because it just belonged in that time period; the 80s were over and the last remnants of the great action movies of the previous decade were drawing to a close before things lost that particular charm and got a little more serious.

I genuinely don't believe that can ever be recreated, especially nowadays, so don't even bother to try. Something original with the odd love letter to the great 80s action movies, sure, but not a bloody remake.

• Like 1

Speaking of remakes, I watched the Magnificent Seven remake yesterday.

Fuqua can make that movie in his sleep, and the cast is excellent, but I was surprised how much I liked it regardless.

A glance across at my stack and i'll throw these out as a few. You've all most likely seen them but the ones underlined you may not have. If you haven't, hire/ get. I say this as when I recommend films to people nobody has ever heard of Dead Man's Shoes... which is a sin.

• Amelie
  • A clockwork Orange
  • Let The Right One In
  • The Godfather
  • The Shawshank Redemption
  • The Usual Suspects
  • Pulp Fiction
  • Full Metal Jacket
  • The Revenant
  • Heat
  • Platoon
  • Shutter Island
  • Donnie Darko
  • Dead Mans Shoes
  • Kill List
  • Oldboy

If you know people that haven't seen Dead Man's Shoes then you know the wrong people.

And to be honest, kill list and old boy are hardly obscure oddities :)

Edited by Designer1
  • Like 2

Went to see supersonic 

very good some great footage and it's absolutely hilarious at times, don't think it'll convert the haters and it's not as stylishly put together as Amy or montage of heck but if it ever got released I honestly think I would watch the 7 hour edit of it...

the summations by both brothers at the end are both spot on, Noel especially seems to know exactly what oasis were and how they won't be repeated 

33 minutes ago, Designer1 said:

If you know people that haven't seen Dead Man's Shoes then you know the wrong people.

And to be honest, kill list and old boy are hardly obscure oddities :)

I agree on all counts. Still though, you'd be surprised. They will learn.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, villa4europe said:

Went to see supersonic 

very good some great footage and it's absolutely hilarious at times, don't think it'll convert the haters and it's not as stylishly put together as Amy or montage of heck but if it ever got released I honestly think I would watch the 7 hour edit of it...

the summations by both brothers at the end are both spot on, Noel especially seems to know exactly what oasis were and how they won't be repeated 

I'd not heard of this, so I looked it up. I'm not the biggest fan of the band these days, but I'd certainly watch it. Mind I checked out the director, and I see he directed Spike Island, which is one of the worst pieces of shit ever released.

14 hours ago, Midfielder said:

A glance across at my stack and i'll throw these out as a few. You've all most likely seen them but the ones underlined you may not have. If you haven't, hire/ get. I say this as when I recommend films to people nobody has ever heard of Dead Man's Shoes... which is a sin.

• Amelie
  • A clockwork Orange
  • Let The Right One In
  • The Godfather
  • The Shawshank Redemption
  • The Usual Suspects
  • Pulp Fiction
  • Full Metal Jacket
  • The Revenant
  • Heat
  • Platoon
  • Shutter Island
  • Donnie Darko
  • Dead Mans Shoes
  • Kill List
  • Oldboy

Seen all but Amelie, Let The Right One In, The Revenant and the bottom 3 (cos I've never heard of them)

I heard The Revenant was pretty poor so didn't bother. Never got round to seeing Let The Right One In.

Actually, and Platoon :) worth it?

9 minutes ago, darrenm said:

Seen all but Amelie, Let The Right One In, The Revenant and the bottom 3 (cos I've never heard of them)

I heard The Revenant was pretty poor so didn't bother. Never got round to seeing Let The Right One In.

Actually, and Platoon :) worth it?

Watch Amelie FFS! :)

• Like 1

Â