The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

I liked The Village. And I didn't work out the twist, despite having seen it from the beginning.

dunce-cap.jpg

+1

I like M.Night Shamaylayanaynlmn and enjoyed all his films that got criticised. I thought I was different from the rest, somebody who understood what he was doing. I thought I was a special boy.

But then I saw The Lady in the Water.

But then I saw The Lady in the Water.

:lol:

Yeah, it was... not great. And I'll usually forgive most things if it's got the lovely Bryce Dallas Howard in it. The Happening was even worse, but then went with an even more appealing female lead. Needless to say, I've not watched an Ooh-e-ooh-ah-ah-M-Night-Shamalamadingdong flick since.

m night shamalamadingdong peaked with Unbreakable. great film.

:nod:

His best work by far.

Agreed.

Saw about 20 minutes of Sixth Sense before I went to bed one night, but fell asleep. Never bothered to watch it again as I've had it ruined.

I liked The Village. And I didn't work out the twist, despite having seen it from the beginning.

dunce-cap.jpg

When I watched the Village I totally missed the fact that one of the main characters is blind until about 5 mins before the end. :(

I really liked Signs, despite it's failings. It has one of the creepiest moments I can remember in a film - the Brazilian birthday party footage still gives me chills.

I'm a fan of signs.

But I'm a sucker for disaster movies, if that's the right phrase.

Those films where something's going on that would be world news. Everyone in the world would be affected.

And, like you, the brazillian birthday bit epitomises that. I love that sort of stuff where you see news bulletins etc (done well, obviously)

I like Shyamalans films. Well, the ones I've seen at least. Signs were good but a bad ending. The Happening too was good but with a dodgy ending. Devil were good with a decent ending, though that wasn't his film in the end either. 6th sense and Unbreakable are great films, IMO. I know I'm quite on my own liking The Happening but it doesn't matter. Still like the idea of the film. :)

Then again it has to be something wrong with my film taste cause I tried to watch 2001: A space odyssey and 50 minutes I had to take a break. A break that's so far lasted for about 36 hours. And it's supposed to be a classic. So far just very boring. And I'm yet to get through Apocalypse now.

The Happening struck me as being like something a student film course might make, on a budget of next to nothing. Nice try if it had been, but a pretty big fail from a "name" director.

I liked Sixth Sense and Unbreakable

But I loved Signs and The Village. The Brazilian party scene is one of my all time favourites. I also loved the dialogue in The Village, something about it was very engaging. How did people get the twist? I didn't have a scooby.

Then he made The Happening, The Lady in the Water and The Last Airbender, which all look horrible. He's now making a film called 'After Earth' with Will Smith, that'll probably be shit too

Anyone seen Hugo? Whilst the production is impressive I found it to be very boring and not really that good a story.

This. I was expecting it to be a brill family film after listening to Kermode cream himself over it.

Style over substance, just a bit dull.

You know earlier in the week it was announced that John Carter has been pitched by Disney after it's performance in it's 2 weeks since release, as set to lose them $200m?

I hadn't realised it at the time, but if that does come to pass, which looks fairly likely unless it absolutely kills the home media market, it's the biggest loss maker in movie history.

It's almost worthy of praise for failing that badly.

Â