The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

Shock horror, Disney have basically written off John Carter as a $200m loss maker.

thats pretty impressive.

i haven't seen any marketing at all for this film, and only heard about it yesterday for the first time.

also, what a rubbish name for a film, sounds like a film about a middle-aged cardboard box salesman fighting a legal battle about the amount of cardboard content allowed in cardboard boxes.

sounds like a film about a middle-aged cardboard box salesman fighting a legal battle about the amount of cardboard content allowed in cardboard boxes.

If ever a role was written for Bill Pullman...

They took out the "Of Mars" bit..... because they didn't want people to realise it was a sci-fi film.... whoops.

Just like "The Golden Compass" I doubt we'll see another one of these.

My list of to-watch films grows ever longer.... i need to start ploughing through them at some point.

- Real Steel

- True Grit

- Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (USA version)

- The Losers

- The Fighter

- The Lincoln Lawyer

- Fast Five

- The Hangover 2

- Senna

- Friends with Benefits

- Super 8

- The Wrestler

- MI4: Ghost Protocol

- Puss in Boots

- Moneyball

- The Descendants

- Chronicle

- Safe House

- Hanna

- The Hunger Games

any turkeys in that list that i shouldn't bother with?

They took out the "Of Mars" bit..... because they didn't want people to realise it was a sci-fi film.... whoops.

well, thats really stupid, if i had known it was a sci-fi film, then i might have been more interested in watching it.

well, thats really stupid, if i had known it was a sci-fi film, then i might have been more interested in watching it.

Hence the reason why it lost $200m. Its just been a **** up from start to finish really.

from what ive seen -

- True Grit - it was ok, very well acted but not mind blowing

- Girl with the Dragon Tattoo - brilliant

- The Fighter - superb acting, good story

- The Lincoln Lawyer - ok, they dont get the bastard element across

- The Hangover 2 - get round the fact its samey and its very good

- Senna - brilliant

- Super 8 - really good, bit too much screen flare though

- The Wrestler - iirc very good

- MI4: Ghost Protocol - surprised me but i found it brilliant

- Puss in Boots - bit boring IMHO

- The Descendants - its ok, not worth the awards hype

- Safe House - boring middle section

- Hanna - ok

all of them are worth a watch apart from puss in boots which continued on from shreks decline, not very funny

my list -

we need to talk about kevin

anonymous

friends with benefits

chronicle

the artist

50/50

arrietty

hugo

anyone know what all these augmented reality re-releases are that are coming out in april?

John Carter was doomed from day one. If it had been made years ago, 1950s or even before that, it might have been a phenomenon, because the original story is basically the genesis for all the pulpy sci-fi fantasy stuff that came after it, particularly Star Wars. It was going to be made into an animated film i the 40s IIRC, which might have made it into 'a thing'.

Instead it was made for release in 2012 by which time all of modern sci fi has borrowed bits from it, improved immeasurably on those ideas, and mined the pulp sci fi genre to death, to the point that it doesn't really excite anyone anymore.

So you've got an idea that is doomed. People are not going to care, because we've seen Star Wars, and we've all just about had enough of hackneyed sci-fi swashbuckling. And crucially, A Princess of Mars is not the huge phenomenon that can sell a movie just because it's a film of a massively loved book, unlike say the Harry Potter movies (a number of which are tosh... but so are the books on the whole), or the Lord of the Rings. That the books aren't really that good compared to the kind of things that have been written in the century since doesn't help, and nor does deciding that the best way to really make A) an interestingly plotted movie, and B) a kick off point for a new billion dollar franchise, was to take bits and pieces from about 3 of the John Carter books and stack them on top of each other.

And then you hire a man to direct it who has never directed real actors before, and is learning about how to make a movie that has real sets and real props and real stuff that needs logistics and proper planning and all the rest, on the job. That's a challenge even for a small, not terribly ambitious project. John Carter is a sci fi epic (or it's meant to be, anyway). It's destined to have trouble. And it did. Stanton had to do reshoots and the like, which are notoriously costly.

Even so, the big budget and the idea thats 70 years too late alone doesn't kill the movie stone dead. Hollywood knows that, more often than not, if you chuck enough money at film and have a name people know attached, that money will make it back to you. So they hired Taylor Kitsch as the lead man, best known for playing Gambit (hideously) in the awful Wolverine: Origins. Whoops. They might have saved it with a big name in the villain role, or the leading lady. Nope, they picked up Mark Strong, good actor, good villain... nobody in the US gives a damn. And the lead actress is known for the some total of **** all (though was also in Wolverine... but nobody remembers)

And then they add 3D to it, because 3D must survive. And thats costly. That it was done in post production, notoriously a shitty way to make a 3D movie, didn't help it. Couple that people turning away from 3D and it's shot itself in the foot again.

Disney land themselves with a massively expensive film that nobody cares about. They struggled to market it because of that (dropping the '...of Mars' from the name was effectively a desperate attempt to get people who just don't like sci-fi to see this in a cinema, hopefully widening the potential audience). In turn its bombed even harder than it might have done otherwise - it says a lot about how poor Disney think this is that they basically chucked it's prospects to the dogs after only 2 weeks. It'll become a cult film in a few years if it's lucky, because it does have some saving graces - the CGI is great (if completely underwhelming design wise), and some of the action scenes are allegedly very good.

But beyond that Stanton turned out a stinker and always was going to.

I actually quite liked John Carter, it's no great shakes, but it is fairly entertaining B-movie sci-fi fodder.

Problem is it should never have cost £250million to make. Film companies need to seriously look where they spend the money, because the film could have easily been made for considerably less. Special effects companies, especially seem to make up their prices and the studios just pay it.

- Real Steel - watched over the weekend. A bit cheesy but effects/fight scenes decent enough

- True Grit - Quality

- The Losers - I loved it for it's utter dumbness!!!

- The Fighter - Quality

- The Lincoln Lawyer - Not bad at all, love the books though!

- Fast Five - As per The Losers - dumb but a lot of fun!

- The Hangover 2 - not as bad as I was expecting but not a patch on the 1st.

- Senna - Quality

- The Wrestler - Quality

- The Hunger Games - will be watching over the weekend!

Hope that helps Ender!

My list of to-watch films grows ever longer.... i need to start ploughing through them at some point.

- Real Steel

- True Grit

- The Losers

- The Fighter

- The Lincoln Lawyer

- Fast Five

- The Hangover 2

- Senna

- Friends with Benefits

- Super 8

- The Wrestler

- Puss in Boots

- Moneyball

- The Descendants

- Chronicle

- Safe House

- Hanna

- The Hunger Games

I haven't seen them, but I'd say Real Steel, Puss in Boots and Fast Five would all be films I wouldn't be rushing to see.

Girl With the Dragon Tattoo, The Wrestler and Senna would be top of my list. All 3 are excellent.

- Real Steel

- True Grit

- The Losers

- The Fighter

- The Lincoln Lawyer

- Fast Five

- The Hangover 2

- Senna

- Friends with Benefits

- Super 8

- The Wrestler

- Puss in Boots

- Moneyball

- The Descendants

- Chronicle

- Safe House

- Hanna

- The Hunger Games

I thought Super 8 was boring, derivative and pointless. Others liked it, though.

Super 8 brought out a real range of opinions.

I liked it, thought it was a solid film, but not amazing.

But I've heard people describe it as the worst film they've ever seen and others as one of the best they've ever seen.

I never get criticising anything as derivative when they fully intend to imitate previous work.

Something like that latest found footage exorcism guff is derivative. Super 8 is knowingly nodding at Spewbergs output, in that (albeit tiresome) post-modern way.

I hereby name you Carew'sHighbrowDesigner.

Â