The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

Watched the 'Burden of Dreams' documentary that came with Fitzcarraldo. 'Kin hell. They don't make them like they used to.
Haven't got round to that in my Herzog box set yet. Looking forward to it.

I can never see the title "Burn After Reading" without thinking of Berkshire.
If you're thinking Slough, I don't see the harm.

Come friendly bombs and fall on Slough!

It isn't fit for humans now,

There isn't grass to graze a cow.

Swarm over, Death!

Come, bombs and blow to smithereens

Those air -conditioned, bright canteens,

Tinned fruit, tinned meat, tinned milk, tinned beans,

Tinned minds, tinned breath.

Mess up the mess they call a town-

A house for ninety-seven down

And once a week a half a crown

For twenty years.

And get that man with double chin

Who'll always cheat and always win,

Who washes his repulsive skin

In women's tears:

And smash his desk of polished oak

And smash his hands so used to stroke

And stop his boring dirty joke

And make him yell.

But spare the bald young clerks who add

The profits of the stinking cad;

It's not their fault that they are mad,

They've tasted Hell.

It's not their fault they do not know

The birdsong from the radio,

It's not their fault they often go

To Maidenhead

And talk of sport and makes of cars

In various bogus-Tudor bars

And daren't look up and see the stars

But belch instead.

In labour-saving homes, with care

Their wives frizz out peroxide hair

And dry it in synthetic air

And paint their nails.

Come, friendly bombs and fall on Slough

To get it ready for the plough.

The cabbages are coming now;

The earth exhales.

Watched the 'Burden of Dreams' documentary that came with Fitzcarraldo. 'Kin hell. They don't make them like they used to.

Well, when you get around to it, don't watch the German version, because the subtitles are poor. Also, it was shot in English, the documentary has them shooting scenes entirely in English, so the German version is *gasp* dubbed.

So just watch the English version, it'll save you a few 'Eh?' moments.

Watched Casablanca the other day. I thought it was really good. Better than I expected. And I have to say that Ingrid Bergman really was a beautifull woman.
Watch it again. It just gets better.

With the impending release of The Hunger Games, and PR machine in full flow (BBC breakfast slot this morning), could it signal the often talked about US remake of Battle Royale?

Honestly I never thought the yanks would touch anything like it, given the national psyche correlates kids killing kids to Columbine, et al. If HG is a commercial success though, I don't see why a production company wouldnt take on BR - a few cuts to the gore here and there sure, but it is in effect a very similar story, bringing down the oppressive overseers, and a love story running throughout. Not that I particularly want to see a remake of BR, but it seems more possible now than it did a few years ago.

And why stop there? A remake of The Running Man anyone? There's already a film adaptation of The Maze Runner on the way, why not Uglies or The Long Walk too?

What a wonderful investment that was. I implore anyone who has not seen most of Herzog's work to get it, it's fantasssstic. I went to one of the first showings of Cave of Forgotten Dreams last year, and he was there for a Q&A session afterwards. Wonderful chap. I think I'll read all your posts with his voice in my head from now on mooney :P

I've never seen the film but now I have my free trial of Netflix it's on the list.

I've read the book though and it's excellent. It really made me feel quite uncomfortable, especially since at the end of every chapter they tell you how many students are remaining in big, bold letters. Dark.

I thought the Hunger Games was a remake of Battle Royale...

It's very similar, but is full of lots of over sentimentality, and nowhere near as much gruesome death as BR. I also got the over-riding impression that the purpose of the story was to demonstrate how brave the characters were to overcome adversity, and for love to blossom despite the goings on (it is a 'young adult' novel/s after all)...wereas BR was just tragic, really, and carried an underlying commentary on Japanese society and world politics.

It also differs in the way that the story of HG only follows the main character, so what she doesnt witness, the viewer doesnt witness. Ergo, you miss some of the most interesting 'battles' as the story just tells you that this person fought that person, and one won, and the other died. BR lets us know exactly what happened in all it's bloody glory though. yay! :D

Just back from seeing '21 Jump Street'. It was quite good and had me laughing at parts. For some reason I expected it to be funnier, yet it was enjoyable.

I also watched 'In Bruges' for the millionth time last night and I love it so much. Even after so many viewings it is still great. The perfect combination of good direction, good acting, comedy, darkness (as in the tone) and tragedy. I can't wait for 'Seven Psycopaths' to come out...

Just watched Legend for the first time. What... the... ****.

And another thing, didn't know it was a Ridley Scott flick, ergo does the appearance of unicorns 10 mins in mean Tom Cruise is a replicant?

Well, when you get around to it, don't watch the German version, because the subtitles are poor. Also, it was shot in English, the documentary has them shooting scenes entirely in English, so the German version is *gasp* dubbed.

So just watch the English version, it'll save you a few 'Eh?' moments.

It never ceases to amaze me just how bad subtitle writers can be at their job. Especially with some Asian movies.

Take Tartan Asia Extreme for example. Normally pretty decent, but they **** up this one movie so bad, it was so unintelligible that I had to go and download an SRT file made by a fan just to get something from the film. It wasn't some random low budget affair either, think it might have been one of the Vengence trilogy even.

Aside - Never seen Battle Royale or even heard of it, but it looks **** ace.

Watched Casablanca the other day. I thought it was really good. Better than I expected. And I have to say that Ingrid Bergman really was a beautifull woman.
Watch it again. It just gets better.

But he didn't sy... Oh... I will. :) The other half hasn't seen it yet, so I'll join her when she does.

Â