The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

Continuing my exploitation era....

Eden Lake.

A truly depressing, dark, horrifying movie. Needs to be seen, no spoilers from me but I've not felt this deflated in a long time.

The three leads are truly top drawer. I'm close to calling this a modern horror classic.

Eden Lake.

A truly depressing, dark, horrifying movie. Needs to be seen, no spoilers from me but I've not felt this deflated in a long time.

The three leads are truly top drawer. I'm close to calling this a modern horror classic.

it is a quality film...the worse things is you realise pretty soon it could actually happen....

its also a bonus that the girl in it is extremely sexy!

Eden Lake.

Totally agree - it's a great modern horror!!!

Eden Lake.

Yep, depressing, dark, disturbing, gruesome which always makes me wonder why I enjoy watching something like this but yet I do. Top film.

Also kelly rielly is on my laminated list.

Just saw it. Wow, quite intense. Looking for more recommendations of that ilk

I Saw The Devil. Completely different premise but just as grim.

The Descent is another top Brit horror as well, I hear that Funny Games is along the same lines but ive yet to watch.

I hear that Funny Games is along the same lines but ive yet to watch.

Watch Haneke's original, not his pointless shot for shot remake.

I would but some div kid on the IMDB message board for Eden Lake spoiled it for me. Well, kind of. I think. If I give it a few weeks I'll probably forget.

The Descent is another top Brit horror as well, I hear that Funny Games is along the same lines but ive yet to watch.

If by that you mean that Funny Games is a similar sort of film to The Descent then in my opinion it isn't. For one, I thought The Descent was a bit shit and it didn't scare me at all, the story was boring. Funny Games is a different kind of film. I don't want to spoil anything but it's a good film and is quite disturbing.

If by that you mean that Funny Games is a similar sort of film to The Descent then in my opinion it isn't. For one, I thought The Descent was a bit shit and it didn't scare me at all, the story was boring. Funny Games is a different kind of film. I don't want to spoil anything but it's a good film and is quite disturbing.

No, similar to Eden Lake. Which is still sitting heavy on me 24 hours later.

I thought the first half of the descent was better than the latter, but assuming you saw the British ending rather than the sanitised american one it's incredibly grim and the film is pretty filthy from start to finish. I'm guessing that was what ED was asking for?

Yeah I just wiki'd Eden Lake and remembered I've read up on it before and you're right it's similar to Funny Games.

I've seen both endings to The Descent, the whole story just did nothing for me. I saw the romantic twist (trying not to spoil) coming a mile away and I'm usually pretty rubbish at predicting things, although normally I can tell whether or not I'm enjoying a film because I get swept up in it completely. If I find myself trying to pick it apart and figure out the twists then it's usually because I'm not completely absorbed by the story.

It's not a terrible film by any stretch, it just did nothing for me and didn't creep me out, regardless of either ending.

Yeah I just wiki'd Eden Lake and remembered I've read up on it before and you're right it's similar to Funny Games.

I've seen both endings to The Descent, the whole story just did nothing for me. I saw the romantic twist (trying not to spoil) coming a mile away and I'm usually pretty rubbish at predicting things, although normally I can tell whether or not I'm enjoying a film because I get swept up in it completely. If I find myself trying to pick it apart and figure out the twists then it's usually because I'm not completely absorbed by the story.

It's not a terrible film by any stretch, it just did nothing for me and didn't creep me out, regardless of either ending.

Fair point. I'm not sure the 'twist' was meant to be hidden though? I can't remember too good, I've not seen it in 6/7 years.

As for Eden Lake, you should watch it rather than read about it. I'm amazed it's only got a 6.9 on IMDB, but I put that down to an American audience not really getting it. If it was a Hollywood production or even Asian it would score much higher in my opinion. It's an 8/10 film at the least.

To be fair it was a while ago I read about it, I know the general premise but not any of the finer details. I can understand why people care about spoilers, but it's never really bothered me too much. Well, obviously it's better to experience it as intended, but if it's a good film but someone spoiled something for me then it won't stop me watching it and enjoying it.

As for the "twist", you might be right, maybe it wasn't really hidden so much. I still didn't think it was particularly interesting though.

I'm off to find a good film on Netflix anyway :)

To be fair it was a while ago I read about it, I know the general premise but not any of the finer details. I can understand why people care about spoilers, but it's never really bothered me too much. Well, obviously it's better to experience it as intended, but if it's a good film but someone spoiled something for me then it won't stop me watching it and enjoying it.

As for the "twist", you might be right, maybe it wasn't really hidden so much. I still didn't think it was particularly interesting though.

I'm off to find a good film on Netflix anyway :)

Considering the conversation, check out Snowtown (which I should have recommended to ED too) :winkold:

Another one for Eden Lake. It's very good and I agree that it actually could happen. And to those who liked it I can recommend Them. Also simiolar and I thought it was good.

My recmend for Eden Lake fans is Kichiku dai Enkai aka. Banquet of the Beasts. Wonderful, wonderful stuff, if that kind of film is your thing. I'd also mention all the typical french 'extreme wave' movies, but as youve encountered Funny Games, I'm sure they'll follow. My earlier recmend for Salo is a must though.

Â