The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

i don't think mine does either. they should though, becase if it isn't kids annoying you, it's teenagers who think it's awfully funny to pretend to be too cool for a movie like the muppets, and convey this through a running commentary laden with a misunderstanding of irony.

here's hoping for a midnight screening!

drive-2011-online.jpg

Deserves an oscar its that good

Thanks to all the good reviews of this one here I've now pre ordered it on bluray. Cheap. :-D And I'll hold you to it if it's awefull. ;)

Also ordered Gone with the wind and Casablanca. Never seen any of them and felt that some day I have to.

Nice Refn is getting major plaudits for Drive, wonderful director. The Pusher trilogy is fantastic, especially so if you like your crime dramas. And then there's Valhalla Rising - what a trip :lol:

i don't think mine does either. they should though, becase if it isn't kids annoying you, it's teenagers who think it's awfully funny to pretend to be too cool for a movie like the muppets, and convey this through a running commentary laden with a misunderstanding of irony.

here's hoping for a midnight screening!

So how do you feel about students? :D

Refn not getting an Oscar nod was disgusting. Plus Gosling not getting one was just wrong too.

I remember seeing it in the cinema and I left just thinking how great it was. Directed beautifully, great music and good acting throughout. The film doesn't drag at any point and it just oozes class. I pre-ordered the Blu-Ray as soon as it was announced and can happily say that the quality is fantastic. I think I have grown to like it even more than I did back when I first saw it.

just got back from phantom menace 3D

sp02.JPG

god damn you lucas, its a **** awful film as it is, if it wasnt for darth maul / duel of fates it would be one of the worst films ever, but to then charge you that much for 3D when a good 75% of it isnt is a disgrace, just another 5 more of them to watch then...

Staying on the Ryan Gosling theme - watched Crazy, Stupid Love last night with the wife.

Have to say, it's one of the best rom-coms out there. It's not cheesy, girly or in any way puke inducing.

The cast (including Golsing, Steve Carrell, Julianne Moore and the seriously gorgeous Emma Stone) is brilliant and all characters get a decent plotline, instead of it being centred around the main 2 protagonists!

Tremendous cameo by Marisa Tomei too (she should definately be mentioned in the over 40s ladies thread!!!!)

If you have to watch a film with the missus, I'd recommend this one - very funny indeed!

just got back from phantom menace 3D

god damn you lucas, its a **** awful film as it is, if it wasnt for darth maul / duel of fates it would be one of the worst films ever, but to then charge you that much for 3D when a good 75% of it isnt is a disgrace, just another 5 more of them to watch then...

are you saying that most of the 3D version of the film isn't actually in 3D?

sophie_scholl_2005.jpg

Not exactly a barrel of laughs, but needs to be seen if you've never heard of Sophie Scholl.

I watched this recently, powerful stuff. What annoyed me was her parents calmly hugging her near the end saying 'you did the right thing' like she was getting a month in jail or something.

sophie_scholl_2005.jpg

Not exactly a barrel of laughs, but needs to be seen if you've never heard of Sophie Scholl.

I watched this recently, powerful stuff. What annoyed me was her parents calmly hugging her near the end saying 'you did the right thing' like she was getting a month in jail or something.

I wondered about that. Maybe they really did that, maybe they were distraught (I know I would have been), but on the other hand, what else could they say? It was too late too change things, and they did have a strong religious faith that they would meet again.

I believe the film was about as authentic as it could have been in terms of quotes, etc. - it was heavily based on court transcripts and eyewitness accounts.

It was based on a stage play (and it showed). It would probably have been a better film if it had covered more of her early life, how she got into the whole White Rose thing, her boyfriend in the army in Russia, etc.

She does deserve to be as well known as Anne Frank, IMHO.

Â