The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

i didn't think bond was too bad. but then i'm just a casual bond viewer and don't remember much of the films even though ive seen all the newer ones...when they said the name:

Spoiler

spectre

i was like "who's that?"

MV5BZjgwZDIwY2MtNGZlNy00NGRlLWFmNTgtOTBk

Saw this last night (no pun intended)

It was ok. Wasn't as good as I expected, and the final act was all very silly, but the story was solid with a few good twists and turns. Visually it was brilliant too.

McKenzie was excellent as the lead.

Just seen The Suicide Squad reboot.

It's kinda great? Has a lot of Gunn's knack of using completely stupid characters to make fairly profound emotional points, as well having a dark sense of humour and penchant for gory action.

10 hours ago, Chindie said:

Just seen The Suicide Squad reboot.

It's kinda great? Has a lot of Gunn's knack of using completely stupid characters to make fairly profound emotional points, as well having a dark sense of humour and penchant for gory action.

I really liked it, and as you know well, that genre isn't really my bag at all.

But it was great fun to be honest

• Like 1

On 16/11/2021 at 09:42, Stevo985 said:

MV5BZjgwZDIwY2MtNGZlNy00NGRlLWFmNTgtOTBk

Saw this last night (no pun intended)

It was ok. Wasn't as good as I expected, and the final act was all very silly, but the story was solid with a few good twists and turns. Visually it was brilliant too.

McKenzie was excellent as the lead.

Agree with that. Wright is an interesting director but the film fell away in the second half for me.

• Like 1

On 13/11/2021 at 18:30, TheAuthority said:

Agree with @Stevo985 about the villains motivation. WTF? I'm going to kill the world because I like plants (or were they nano-bots - never quiet worked that out.)

I thought the first half of the film was really enjoyable. A bit of camp comedy from a Daniel Craig Bond worked and the Cuban fight was choreographed brilliantly. The music and the movement was almost artistic! - Arturo Sandoval playing trumpet was a nice touch.

Then alas the plot just fell apart which is fairly typical I guess for a Bond. 

I definitely got a pang of nostalgia at the end. I think maybe it's because we just associate Bond's with different parts of our life. Roger Moore as a kid, I remember going to see Brosnan in Goldeneye as a student in London. Oh well, weird that they actually killed him. They've never done that before.

Tin hat on but I really hope they don't reboot Bond as a non-binary mixed race politically correct alien. I think theres much more room in the franchise to explore other double 0's rather than reinvent James Bond. Just my old man thought though.

Without giving away the plot I just hope the next one they just lighten up a bit. Bond for me should just be some silly escapist fun.  The best bit of the film I thought was the Cuba section which felt like  a Bond film, the rest was just a bit meh.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

Agree with that. Wright is an interesting director but the film fell away in the second half for me.

Agreed. I think

Spoiler

It was making a good point about how women were treated in that sort of "industry" and had an opportunity to make it an empowering film from a female perspective. It was verging on great.

But it just seemed to go for the "ahhh bitches be CRAZY" angle rather than anything more clever than that, and all went a bit silly. Which, I know, it's Edgar Wright and that's what he does, but still.

I get that it's basically a horror so that works to a certain degree, but I think it could have been a lot more interesting and thought provoking than it ended up being

Opportunity missed for me

7 hours ago, Big Salad said:

Extraction with Chris Hemsworth.

Actually a better action movie than I thought it would be.

8/10.

I'm choosing to imagine this is a sadistic reality TV show in which Chris Hemsworth replaces a dentist each week after the patient has had gas, and then does a deliberately bad job of pulling teeth out.

Please don't respond to tell me I'm wrong, I'm happy with my version.

• Haha 2

Watched dune this morning, I knew nothing about it, never read the book or seen the other film, went in completely cold

Its thick and fast, lots of lore thrown at you early doors, loads of stuff to process but it just about gets away with it, it looks amazing, more than just the look the feel of it too, the set design costumes and make up matches the quality of the cinematography, also thought the cast was very good, the film lives and dies on Paul and he was good 

Somehow I don't think it's convoluted which is a compliment, I thought too much emphasis was put on the worms and some of the dream stuff didn't work for me but it moves along at just enough speed that it never bogs itself down, I would say the only part that suffered was the last half and hour as I thought it wound down for part 2 rather than ramping up, I didn't finish it screaming out for the 2nd part 

Would give it a 7/10 and would recommend 

Watched it via the high seas, wouldn't say I enjoyed it that much to want to imax it 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HanoiVillan said:

I'm choosing to imagine this is a sadistic reality TV show in which Chris Hemsworth replaces a dentist each week after the patient has had gas, and then does a deliberately bad job of pulling teeth out.

Please don't respond to tell me I'm wrong, I'm happy with my version.

If he can wear an eyepatch, I reckon I can get this funded for you

• Haha 1

Geeked out this afternoonand caught a 1pm showing of Ghostbusters: Afterlife...

NO SPOILERS HERE!

To give context, as a kid the original Ghostbusters was one of my favourite films, had it on VHS and dare not imagine how many times I watched it, so I was very excited for this....

Despite a wee lull in the middle of the film, I thought it was a film made and produced out of love for the Original Ghostbusters, loved the litle nods littered around the film and this film sledgehammered me with the feels. Truly brilliant.

Not sure how it'd be received if you where a bit "Dis n' Dat" with the original film though.... Might love it, might be meh!

• Like 4

1 minute ago, DeadlyDirk said:

Geeked out this afternoonand caught a 1pm showing of Ghostbusters: Afterlife...

NO SPOILERS HERE!

To give context, as a kid the original Ghostbusters was one of my favourite films, had it on VHS and dare not imagine how many times I watched it, so I was very excited for this....

Despite a wee lull in the middle of the film, I thought it was a film made and produced out of love for the Original Ghostbusters, loved the litle nods littered around the film and this film sledgehammered me with the feels. Truly brilliant.

Not sure how it'd be received if you where a bit "Dis n' Dat" with the original film though.... Might love it, might be meh!

Will be going this week, can't wait. It was from a great period, this, BTTF, gremlins, Beetlejuice, Poltergeist etc some great family films in the 80s.

• Like 2

I like Escape from Alcatraz. Been years since I watched it.

The only thing I find slightly unlikely (which I’ll spoiler)…

Spoiler

That anyone would look at Clint Eastwood and think “Yes, he looks like someone I could make my prison bitch. I foresee no difficulty here…”.

• Haha 2

Â