The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

3 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

MV5BNTMyNzQ4MmUtMmJiYy00YjlmLWJiMzktNjc1

Saw this last night. Really very good indeed.

Oscar Isaac is absolutely fantastic.

He is really good in it and the first 20 mins i thought i was watching a little gem but it ended up just boring the hell out of me and i didn't even finish it.

• Confused 1

Wanda (1970) - Wanda is a 1970 American independent drama film written and directed by Barbara Loden, who also stars in the title role. Set in the anthracite coal region of eastern Pennsylvania, the film focuses on an apathetic woman with limited options who inadvertently goes on the run with a bank robber.

Punishment Park - In this fictional documentary, U.S. prisons are at capacity, and President Nixon declares a state of emergency. All new prisoners, most of whom are connected to the antiwar movement, are now given the choice of jail time or spending three days in Punishment Park, where they will be hunted for sport by federal authorities. The prisoners invariably choose the latter option, but learn that, between the desert heat and the brutal police officers, their chances of survival are slim.

Ida - A novice nun about to take her vows uncovers a family secret dating back to the German occupation.

The Haunting (1963) - When Dr John Markway, a scientist, invites Eleanor and Theodora to the ancient Hill House to investigate reports of paranormal activities in the mansion, things start getting out of hand.

First three were okay, I liked The Haunting a lot.

• Like 2

On 07/11/2021 at 21:04, Xela said:

I watched this the other day. 

If i'm being critical i'd say it lacked character development...

GXDzIlt.jpeg

Did you know they made this is just 9 days. Incredible really

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, useless said:

Wanda (1970) - Wanda is a 1970 American independent drama film written and directed by Barbara Loden, who also stars in the title role. Set in the anthracite coal region of eastern Pennsylvania, the film focuses on an apathetic woman with limited options who inadvertently goes on the run with a bank robber.

Punishment Park - In this fictional documentary, U.S. prisons are at capacity, and President Nixon declares a state of emergency. All new prisoners, most of whom are connected to the antiwar movement, are now given the choice of jail time or spending three days in Punishment Park, where they will be hunted for sport by federal authorities. The prisoners invariably choose the latter option, but learn that, between the desert heat and the brutal police officers, their chances of survival are slim.

Ida - A novice nun about to take her vows uncovers a family secret dating back to the German occupation.

The Haunting (1963) - When Dr John Markway, a scientist, invites Eleanor and Theodora to the ancient Hill House to investigate reports of paranormal activities in the mansion, things start getting out of hand.

Glad you liked The Haunting 🙂

• Thanks 1

Yes I liked the atmosphere of the film, the setting in that big old house and the way it was filmed, the performances from the actors, I liked the way the tone of the film slowly changes as it progresses - by the end it was making me think of Inland Empire in some scenes, with some of the camera work, and the way lead actress' mental health was getting worse, the performance of which made me think of Laura Dern's character in IE... And if a film is making me think of a Lynch film, especially one of the later ones then I know I've liked it.

• Like 1

No time to die suffers from the same thing as all the DC films, what are they trying to do? They've tried to be too clever, it's like a reboot but then with ties to all the old films, it doesn't work because they then just shit on the old films, the nostalgic nods and winks kill the film

Spoiler

Within 2 minutes of him being on screen he's said we have all the time in the world and the music plays

The Aston Martin from living daylights 

The photos of the old M

I thought the way he threw the tray was a nod to odd jobs hat

Throwing his visitors pass in moneypenny's bin 

As a film its good, as a run of 5 films they've ended up OK somehow, DC is great

As bond films in the complete series they don't work 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, useless said:

I've seen Punishment Park (twice in fact). I like it a lot, though it's **** depressing. I think the ending would probably have hit harder in years gone by when that kind of ending was less common than it is nowadays.

13 minutes ago, tinker said:

Quit after an hour , the lure of my phone was beginning to drag me away from the seemingly plotless action. 

The villain was probably the least interesting or scary of any Bond villain ever.

Edited by maqroll

18 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

Interesting thread on the decisions about colour made by the different cinematographers on Skyfall and Spectre here:

I think it's a big part of why I like Skyfall so much, it's a beautifully shot film, the shanghai, Macau and Scotland stuff is all stunning

• Like 2

1 hour ago, maqroll said:

The villain was probably the least interesting or scary of any Bond villain ever.

Yeah its one of the films weaknesses, they're trying to tie it all together whilst at the same time introduce someone new, his henchman has more screen time than him I think and apart from the whole eye thing the henchman isn't very good either and then they put in the twist too which they have to develop and sell, means the ending whilst good wasn't maybe what it could have been  

Spoiler

I'm not sold on the love story either, think the impact of the ending was solely down to it being the end of bond rather than it being him and her or even him and his daughter 

Not denying it did have an impact though, the end was maybe purposefully more about bond rather than the villain 

10 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

I think it's a big part of why I like Skyfall so much, it's a beautifully shot film, the shanghai, Macau and Scotland stuff is all stunning

Agree, Skyfall is the most artistic of the Bond catelogue. And my favorite one. Never understood the hate.

Edited by maqroll

5 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

New Predator film incoming, its a prequel set 300 years before arnie featuring a native Indian woman 

Its being done by hulu and star so will be on Disney+

I’d love to get excited by this but the spin offs have been as bad as the Alien series.

The only one I quite rate is Predators starring Adrian Brody - good concept and pretty well executed. 

3 hours ago, maqroll said:

I liked the movie but I do kinda agree with this.

Also 

Spoiler

His motivation was completely lost on me. I can understand why he wanted to kill the girl's father, but I don't really understand why he wanted to essentially kill the whole world

• Like 1

Just now, theboyangel said:

I’d love to get excited by this but the spin offs have been as bad as the Alien series.

The only one I quite rate is Predators starring Adrian Brody - good concept and pretty well executed. 

Yeah I agree, predators was somehow pretty good, better than it should have been given the casting 

• Like 1

Â