The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

When I saw Django Unchained I had some mental black guy sat behind me (not mental because he was black, mental because I think he was actually mental) and he spoke, to himself, all the way through the movie.

He got very angry every tim the N word was used. Which was a LOT!

He genuinely ruined the film for me that day.

I enjoyed the film at the time. But there's a part of me which now thinks that the deliberate overuse of the word nigger was for shock value more than to prove. It was, in fact, utterly pointless and lost all meaning to me. I would say it was an act of reclamation of sorts, but then it being written and directed by a white man losses it that edge too.

12 years a slave, which I "enjoyed" much less (I found it rather missed my heart) found a much better balance I thought.

Bit underwhelmed with Nightcrawler. Great twitchy performance from Jake G but the plot was a bit meh with little subtlety.

I just got back from seeing this and I feel the opposite. One of the films of the year for me!

Your right Gyllenhaal was terrific.

Wahoo! My folks are visiting, which means babysitters!!!!

Off to see nightcrawler Saturday - it looks terrific!

yeah, looks really interesting. gyllenhall is better playing weirdoes than hero types

Babadook last night.

I thought it was pretty much brilliant.

My fears about the cinema were valid though. Couple behind us talked through the whole thing, group of teenagers laughed at anything scary and another couple, man and woman, genuinely shouted and screamed at anything scary, which made everyone else laugh.

It didn't ruin it, but it took the shine off. Any tension was immediately diffused.

Babadook last night.

My fears about the cinema were valid though. Couple behind us talked through the whole thing, group of teenagers laughed at anything scary and another couple, man and woman, genuinely shouted and screamed at anything scary, which made everyone else laugh.

It didn't ruin it, but it took the shine off. Any tension was immediately diffused.

This is why I NEVER see movies at first release. I usually wait 3 or 4 weeks, and the cinema is empty. Just how I like it

Drive - 9 out of 10

Drive (BBC 1 rescored) - 6 out of 10 - Seriously wtf?! The Drive soundtrack was incredible. Thought it would be an interesting concept having Zane Lowe do something different. It ruined the film completely. Eyeopener for myself as a film buff as never realised how important a good soundtrack can make to the film. Zane choices were bizarre in that he replaced quality electric type music with below average electric music. What was the point?? Poorly edited as well. Never heard of any of these bands other then Eric Prydz. Would have been more interesting if he used a completely different genre like rock or hip hop or famous songs from present day and the past. Zane Lowe is still the man though but he messed up here.

Ex Machina

An Alex garland film, looks terrific, raises some interesting issues and has a great sense of style and character. It looks fascinating yet uneasy and creepy. Really looking forward to this, I like a lot of garlands stuff so can't wait.

In confused how you can like Zane Lowe but not have heard of any of the bands he used for Drive.

As for the film, I haven't seen the rescore yet but it sounds like it is what I thought it would be.

An interesting idea but a mistake to choose a film with an already iconic soundtrack because you're never going to improve on it.

Babadook last night.

This is why I NEVER see movies at first release. I usually wait 3 or 4 weeks, and the cinema is empty. Just how I like it
I think the cinema is fine for an action film or a comedy.

But for horror or even tear jerkers, the silence in a film or the pauses between events are often crucial, so having the rustling of popcorn or people laughing around you ruins it.

I love the cinema, but it's a bit of a minefield.

Â