The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

The Deep is just starting on Movie Mix.

I had that channel on earlier. Russell Crowe in A Good Year (never heard of it.) Was thinking who directed this piece of crap? Sir Ridley Scott, that's who.

• Like 1

I had that channel on earlier. Russell Crowe in A Good Year (never heard of it.) Was thinking who directed this piece of crap? Sir Ridley Scott, that's who.

I like this channel, last night there was a TV movie on it called Runaway Car, it was so low budget but it was pretty enjoyable. It's based on a true story of a car which couldn't slow down...

I like this channel, last night there was a TV movie on it called Runaway Car, it was so low budget but it was pretty enjoyable. It's based on a true story of a car which couldn't slow down...

There might be the odd gem hidden on there but the adverts spoil any film.

• Like 1

Is that the one about the Icelandic fisherman. A truly amazing survival story.

Nope, its Nick Nolte, voodoo and a face eating eel!

Oh the one i am on about is hardly a remake then  ;)

Is that the one about the Icelandic fisherman. A truly amazing survival story.

Nope, its Nick Nolte, voodoo and a face eating eel!

That's the one but, you missed out Robert Shaw!

Oh man I loved "The Thing" so much. John Carpenter is ace, it's like they took David Cronenberg and scrapped out all the bullshit. Not that I don't like Cronenbergs movies, but he does occasionally make me go "ugh **** off". Carpenters movies are always good fun, end to end, even when they're a bit B movie.

Top 5 director for me.

• Like 3

Oh man I loved "The Thing" so much. John Carpenter is ace, it's like they took David Cronenberg and scrapped out all the bullshit. Not that I don't like Cronenbergs movies, but he does occasionally make me go "ugh **** off". Carpenters movies are always good fun, end to end, even when they're a bit B movie.

Top 5 director for me.

I remember watching that (or may have been the black and white The Thing From Another Planet) when I was little at my Nan's caravan. Scared the shit out of me! 

So, Oldboy remake

Completely not needed and not a patch on the original. However, if you haven't seen the original then its not too bad as a standalone movie. I think Brolin played the part well. 

It did feel as though Apple had funded the movie with the amount of iPhone and Macooks on display

Have to agree with the above, I literally watched 5 films yesterday and the old boy remake was the last of the lot and I quite enjoyed it.

Obviously its hard not to compare to the original but its been so long since I saw it t was almost like watching a new film.

jack ryan: shadow recruit - not a bad film, bang average IMO, doubt any potential series has any legs in it, id say out of the recent films it goes jack reacher > jack ryan > alex cross

class of 92 - as i thought it would be, its a bit insightful about what the 6 were like as youth players and how they integrated, then a good chunk of stuff we were force fed at the time, would have liked them to have looked at more of the players rather than just the superstars, think they mentioned the black lad who was meant to be as good but didnt put any effort in and didnt make it, can remember him being shown but nothing on savage, not 100% sure what the target audience is, feels like a casual man utd fan stocking filler DVD at times just with higher production values than the rest of the club shop DVDs

man of tai chi - i liked it, the "story" is a bit weak and a bit daft, pretty much every aspect of it is underdeveloped, but the majority of the martial arts scenes are excellent, should have done for tiger chen what ong bak did for tony jaa, its a better film than 47 ronin although far less marketable so i can see why that one was pushed and this one snuck under the radar

2 faces of January - i found it a bit boring if im honest, the performances are good even though i didn't really care for 2 of the 3 characters or the love storyline, mortensen is his usual self, isaac and dunst are both good enough, looks really good

draft day - enjoyed it, you obviously need to be an american football fan and with that type of film the fake players stuff never works for me, it was intriguing, it wasnt moneyball, and with it being fake there are too many cheap and easy side stories for Costners character, some of the editing was also shit

million dollar arm - this one was a true story, about an agent going to India to see if he can find a young fast bowler that could be a pitcher in MLB, good enough film, maybe unfortunately its a disney film which means its a bit middle of the road 

Â