The Spanish Football/la Liga Thread

Troglodyte

What? Betis vs Osasuna? 

Or Atletico vs Barcelona?

I notice Spain tend to do what we do here too where cities will multiple clubs will pair off at weekends.  Espanyol host Real Madrid this weekend too. I've noticed that tends to happen a lot when the Blues are in the Premier League and we pair off against the two Manchester clubs. I presume it is a policing thing?

I had to double check that! I looked at the score earlier and it was 2-0 in the 89th minute with both goals from Fabregas.  Seems that Messi found time to score another couple.  :o

Messi got injured then Ronaldo almost single-handedly got Portugal to Brazil in the playoff with Sweden THEN FIFA for reasons best known to themselves reopened the voting for WPOTY and allowed people to change their vote (wtf?). Messi was nailed on (again) beforehand but out of the running afterwards. It's not like the football governing bodies to make it up as they go along.

Messi got injured then Ronaldo almost single-handedly got Portugal to Brazil in the playoff with Sweden THEN FIFA for reasons best known to themselves reopened the voting for WPOTY and allowed people to change their vote (wtf?). Messi was nailed on (again) beforehand but out of the running afterwards. It's not like the football governing bodies to make it up as they go along.

I tell you what if Ronaldo wins the Ballon D'or then I'm putting £100 on the Argies for the World Cup. Messi will have an extra point to prove, if he didn't already.

I think Ronaldo will definitely win the Ballon D'Or and deserves it this time around.

I watched Messi's return last night and he looked very very good indeed. As quick and sharp as I have seen him for sometime, looked like scoring or creating a goal every time he got it. When he scored the last goal I was forced to shout out loud "this guy is too ****ing good" even though my misses was sleeping right next to me.

The commentator said something along the lines of "that's what you get from the best player in the world" which I thought was tough on Ronaldo but you can't argue with it.

Ronaldo is a truly exceptional player but Messi will go down as one of the greatest.

There's probably some boxing analogy to this which someone who knows more about it than me can add.

Ronaldo will go down as one of the greats aswell and he fully deserves the ballon dor this year injury or not to messi imo. 

Messi will have more of the awards and is probably the better player and will be remembered as such but this year is ronnies.

Ronaldo will go down as one of the greats aswell and he fully deserves the ballon dor this year injury or not to messi imo.

Messi will have more of the awards and is probably the better player and will be remembered as such but this year is ronnies.

I agree. Being the second best player in the world for several years means you're probably one of the all time greats.

Ronaldo has attributes Messi doesn't. He is much better in the air and if this goal line clearance from tonight's cup tie is anything to go by then he is better in defence too.  It's just a shame that the certain goal he prevented was from a shot by one Gareth Bale. :lol:

• Like 1

Can't tell if that sarcasm or not but messi is a once in a few decades sort of talent but that doesn't mean there cant be greats from the same era just because they aren't as good.

100% serious. If you are clearly the worlds second best player for an extended period of time you're probably an all time great. Maybe not top 5, but he should be remembered as a truly great player.

• Like 1

Didn't it come out that you can't actually change your vote?

They did extend the deadline, but you can't change if you've already voted.

I might be wrong, but sure they mentioned something like that on Football Weekly.

Personally I think Ronaldo is a better all round player than Messi. If you put either of them into the current Villa squad, I think Ronaldo would perform better and offer more than Messi - who owes a great deal of his success to Xavi and Iniesta.

Edited by samjp26

Personally I think Ronaldo is a better all round player than Messi. If you put either of them into the current Villa squad, I think Ronaldo would perform better and offer more than Messi - who owes a great deal of his success to Xavi and Iniesta.

That's only because Ronaldo can kick the ball further than Messi. :D
Edited by Tamuff_Villa

Â