The Spanish Football/la Liga Thread

Troglodyte

bale on a hattrick and Ronaldo didn't let him take the pen?

and people wonder why messi keeps winning world player of the year...

This isn't the Sunday League though, every penalty should be regarded as important when the game is still on. Bale didn't take penalties for Spurs so why would he take one instead of Ronaldo? As it turned out, Ronaldo did score a hat-trick and that's why it was totally justified when we know he is always hunting Messi. Bale did get to take that free-kick though, because he is obviously good at it, and he scored with some luck involved. Ronaldo let Ramos take the free-kick in the end when it was right on the edge, which could have given him four goals.

Good game from Bale, the shit he has gotten the last few weeks was totally ridiculous and he silenced it somewhat tonight. Being branded as a flop when he is sitting injured in the stands is pretty lame...

Ronaldo now has 11 league goals in 11 games, as well as 7 goals in 3 Champions League matches. 219 goals for Real Madrid in 213 games. I think we can safely put him on top next to Messi (or slightly under if one must insist) but above all the rest in the history of football, the amount of goals, and let's not forget many of them are exceptional, is totally insane. Will we ever see two such players again? It's strange; if Van Persie, Agüero, Mandzukic, Suarez, Zlatan, Cavani or Falcao scored 20 goals this season it would be regarded as very good and more than acceptable - but if Messi/Ronaldo netted 20 it would be regarded as a huge failure!? Maybe it's because of the Spanish league, but let's not forget Ronaldo scored 31 league goals for United in 2007/2008.

Anyway, glad I decided to stream this game as I seldom bother to watch Spanish football unless it's shown live on one of the channels I have.

bale on a hattrick and Ronaldo didn't let him take the pen?

and people wonder why messi keeps winning world player of the year...

Bale's not the penalty taker.

Watching Madrid games is great, better than the watching paint dry type stuff that Barca produce.

Bale's not the penalty taker.

By default no he's not, but when someone's on a hattrick, the designated penalty taker can choose not to be a word removed :-)

It doesn't make sense that he wouldn't let Bale but would let someone else.

This is Cristiano Ronaldo we are talking about.  The man who decided to tell the media he was "sad" that he wasn't the highest paid player in the world at a time when Spain was massively in recession and youth unemployment stood at over 50%.   He is a wonderful wonderful footballer but unfortunately he has the ego to match...

Wowzers. If Ronaldo was keeping the ball for himself then I'd say fair enough, but if you're both right and he sent Bale away but allowed Ramos to take it - in which case he was only concerned with stopping Bale from getting his hattrick as opposed to missing a goalscoring chance for himself - then that's a completely new level of arseholery that I never knew existed :)

Well i can only specualte if that was the case but put it this way, he had his hat trick. Two other players were on theres and neither got the freekick i wouldnt put it past him anyway he does seem like the type to get a bit funny especially if bale starts recapturing his spurs form.

That's not even ego though.  It shows an insecurity.  It shows that he doesn't actually have an unflappable belief in his own ability because he's seemingly worried that if his team-mates were given the freedom that he has then he'd be worried they could outshine him.  Which probably isn't the case, but the fact he's not prepared to risk it tells us something about him.  An ego, but a fragile ego.

There were rumours in the summer that he was annoyed that Bale cost more than he did. I think Ronaldo liked being the most expensive player in the world, he loves the big stage and to be fair to him he delivers in spades. It's just a case of whether he is willing to share the limelight. 

His stats are always worth a mention. 219 in 213 for Madrid in all competitions. 157 goals in 143 appearances in the league. 42 goals in 43 appearances in Europe.  The guy is a machine. He has certainly justified his transfer fee.  

Edited by The_Rev

I agree and it's why I don't think he needs to be so protective.  He's clearly good enough.  A public show of allowing someone else to have some glory would endear him to those who think (who know) he's a knobend.  The great intangible is also that you just never know whether Messi's likeability is the deciding factor when voting for the WPOTY.

Â