The Spanish Football/la Liga Thread

Troglodyte

It's easier said than done when you have spent most of your life with people who are constantly telling you that you are brilliant I guess. But I agree completely. 

surely Ronaldo supporting Bale in the local media is a lot more than letting him have a penalty when the game wasnt even wrapped up yet.

Bale never takes penalties so what if he missed and Sevilla had of got 2 goals in last 20 minutes, then people would be criticizing Ronaldo

surely Ronaldo supporting Bale in the local media is a lot more than letting him have a penalty when the game wasnt even wrapped up yet.

Bale never takes penalties so what if he missed and Sevilla had of got 2 goals in last 20 minutes, then people would be criticizing Ronaldo

It wasn't the penalty, it was a free kick right at the end.

well if Ramos took it and he is captain then people should be moaning at him instead of Ronaldo

The way it played out on the pitch did look like Ronaldo calls the shots for set pieces. Ramos being captain or not.

There's gotta be comedy mileage in this one :)

Microsoft in talks to name Real Madrid's Bernabeu

Microsoft has confirmed it is in talks with the Spanish football club Real Madrid to acquire naming rights to its Bernabeu Stadium.

The 85,454-seat venue is currently named after its former president Santiago Bernabeu.

Speaking on Spanish television, the president of Microsoft in Spain said discussions were at an early stage.

"They've raised... renaming the stadium and we're only talking about this possibility," said Maria Garana.

Online reaction to the news included possible new names for the stadium.

"At most the stadium will be called the Microsoft Estadio Santiago Bernabeu," said one forum member.

"The Gates Ground?" was a suggestion on Twitter by @HuffPostUK, in a nod to the company's founder, Bill Gates.

Microsoft's Surface tablet Could the stadium be named after Microsoft's Surface tablet?

Others wondered whether Microsoft would use the opportunity to promote its products.

"Will it be called the Surface and feature players like Cristiano RonalDOS?" tweeted @tomwarren from technology news website The Verge.

The Surface is Microsoft's tablet computer and DOS was one of the company's former computer operating systems.

Upset fans

The announcement was not well received by all fans of the club.

"I'm a Real Madrid fan, I hate Microsoft forever if they touch anything related to Madrid," said Haidi Farnoud.

If Microsoft are successful in obtaining the naming rights, they will join a group of several other companies whose names are linked to stadiums.

In the English Premier League, the airline Emirates has a tie-in with Arsenal, while Etihad sponsors Manchester City's ground. The German club Bayern Munich play their home matches in the Allianz Arena after signing a 30-year deal with the financial services company.

But not all stadium renaming deals have been successful. When Newcastle United changed the name of their ground from St James' Park to the Sports Direct Arena in November 2011, the local council refused to use the new name on official street signs.

At the time, the council said the decision to change the name would "upset the overwhelming majority of fans".

I think it's 23 hat-tricks, 24 goals this season and 12 in his last 5 games. Even without Messi's injury it looked like Ronnie's year, but now I think he's a shoe-in.

The ballon d'Or is next month.  Dunno when the voting takes place but I would presume it is around now.   Sepp said there will be five players on the final shortlist, I presume those five will be Messi, Ronaldo, Ribery, Zlatan and (possibly) Falcao.  Ronaldo makes a very strong case for having had the best year individually and perhaps a fifth consecutive award to Messi might cause people to lose interest but when was the last time a player who didn't win a major trophy collect the ballon d'Or?  Luis Figo in 2000? 

The award is a load of bollocks. The debate over 'best' is really a time-wasting exercise for the type of people who sit next to you in a bus/workplace/bar and can stand awkward silences, so resort to a telling you a series of banal observations on some multi-millionaire who kicks a ball about.

Edited by CarewsEyebrowDesigner

Messi will be out for up to 2 months. NOW we'll see how good Barcelona are (I suspect 'very').

Huge blow for them, nonetheless. He's the reason I watch Barca games, too. And a torn hamstring is very tricky to deal with, even when returning to play. I reckon this will affect him far beyond the 8 weeks.

Messi will be out for up to 2 months. NOW we'll see how good Barcelona are (I suspect 'very').

Huge blow for them, nonetheless. He's the reason I watch Barca games, too. And a torn hamstring is very tricky to deal with, even when returning to play. I reckon this will affect him far beyond the 8 weeks.

Agree with all of that.

Â