The Spanish Football/la Liga Thread

Troglodyte

Messi - who owes a great deal of his success to Xavi and Iniesta.

personally i think that's a myth, maybe in the same way that i believe ronaldo isn't regarded as the worlds best player because he's an asshole whereas messi isn't

then you read the stories like the back of the bus txt

What? Betis vs Osasuna? 

Or Atletico vs Barcelona?

I notice Spain tend to do what we do here too where cities will multiple clubs will pair off at weekends.  Espanyol host Real Madrid this weekend too. I've noticed that tends to happen a lot when the Blues are in the Premier League and we pair off against the two Manchester clubs. I presume it is a policing thing?

If you have multiple sets of clubs that can't be at home on the same days, it only makes sense to tie ones from each pair together.

• Like 1

Ronaldo has lots of attributes to his game that are far better than Messi and I agree he will be seen as a great.

In terms of all round game he really is a monster.

However Messi is very unique and I don't agree at all that he relies on Xavi and Iniesta. Ronaldo is hardly struggling with Alonso, Bale etc.

Also if you look at most of Messi's goals they are hardly tap ins! he makes nearly all of them himself.

We'll never know but you can't deny being part of the best team in recent memory for atleast 6-7 years has helped him. Saying that you cant just put anyone in front of xavi/iniesta and say they would automatically do what messi has. Ronaldo has a more all round game but messi will probably rightly go down as the better player.

We'll never know but you can't deny being part of the best team in recent memory for atleast 6-7 years has helped him. Saying that you cant just put anyone in front of xavi/iniesta and say they would automatically do what messi has. Ronaldo has a more all round game but messi will probably rightly go down as the better player.

Definitely dont deny that. They are two incredible players and would help anyone, just as Alonso, Di Maria, Benzema are great players and would help those around them.

Think the original comment was something likes "owes his success to Xavi and Iniesta" and I disagreed with that. He is too good to owe his success to anyone.

What? Betis vs Osasuna? 

Or Atletico vs Barcelona?

I notice Spain tend to do what we do here too where cities will multiple clubs will pair off at weekends.  Espanyol host Real Madrid this weekend too. I've noticed that tends to happen a lot when the Blues are in the Premier League and we pair off against the two Manchester clubs. I presume it is a policing thing?

If you have multiple sets of clubs that can't be at home on the same days, it only makes sense to tie ones from each pair together.

they've done it with us and the baggies for liverpool/everton, utd/city and newcastle/sunderland this year

Definitely dont deny that. They are two incredible players and would help anyone, just as Alonso, Di Maria, Benzema are great players and would help those around them.

Think the original comment was something likes "owes his success to Xavi and Iniesta" and I disagreed with that. He is too good to owe his success to anyone.

Not all of his success, I said a great deal of his success, which is true in my opinion.

Don't get me wrong, he is an amazing and very unique talent, certainly one of the greatest goal scorers the game has ever seen. 

I guess we'll never know how Messi would have been with another team or a different set of players, but personally I think a lot of Barcelona's success (and in turn Messi's success) is down to the players around him, whereas I believe Ronaldo has better attributes in his own personal game that makes him more of an influence on the games he takes part in as well as those around him.

It it is a classic footballing debate in the modern game and one we'll never conclude due to both players coming through in different ways, we've seen Ronaldo progress from that game against Manchester United in 2003 playing for Lisbon as an individual, whereas we've seen Messi progress with that fantastic group of players at Barca.

Either way, I'm grateful that we've been able to witness both of their talents and both of them will go down as two of the greatest players ever - but so should Xavi and Iniesta.

like i said, that would be my main criticism of ronaldo, going back to the moscow CL final and the gifs of benzema scoring the penalty anad him not celebrating etc, he still has that playing as an individual in him

so you're questioning messi because he relies on the team around him whereas im questioning ronaldo because he doesnt utilise the team around him enough....

strange old game

on the Messi vs Ronaldo debate. if was given a choice and if most managers were they would probably most would pick Ronaldo due to his physical and powerful attributes. 

Hypothetical but if thrown them in any team in the world e.g Villa or Stoke.  id imagine Ronaldo be more effective than Messi

on the Messi vs Ronaldo debate. if was given a choice and if most managers were they would probably most would pick Ronaldo due to his physical and powerful attributes. 

Hypothetical but if thrown them in any team in the world e.g Villa or Stoke.  id imagine Ronaldo be more effective than Messi

Basically my opinion bang on.

But yeah, well done Ronny on the Ballon d'Or, deserved it!

just saw hodgson didnt put messi in his top 3 for the ballon d'or

probably right though, great player but not his best season and was injured from about march onwards.

more shocked that nobody voted Robben who was Bayern best attacker last season more than the overrated Ribery

Edited by Zatman

W24OXdN.gif

Ronaldo. Woof! 

gYcr6Zv.gif

Bale got his 10th goal for Real Madrid too, took him just 20 appearances.  Think it's only about 15 starts too due to his injury problems. 

Edited by The_Rev
  • Like 1

Â