The Spanish Football/la Liga Thread

Troglodyte

what was he supposed to do?
Thinking about it, that crazy SOB Zatman's suggestion isn't completely without merit; if he manages to clatter Torres before he reaches the box - taking the red card and free-kick - and if Barcelona then manage to defend the resulting free-kick, it's even-steven (albeit now with an outfield player in goal, but hey the game's nearly up anyway) for the dying minutes and they're still in with the slimmest of slim chances of maybe getting a goal. Like, über-slim. But still better than no chance.

Like someone else said, any striker should be putting that away. If Valdes comes out the box to clatter him Torres either chips him or gets round him even easier than he would in the box.

Like someone else said, any striker should be putting that away. If Valdes comes out the box to clatter him Torres either chips him or gets round him even easier than he would in the box.

Torres is a player with no confidence, he would never have tried that

So he'd have just run round him.

He's low on confidence but he's not an invalid.

I'd have been annoyed if I didn't finish that chance against Valdes, let alone Torres.

what was he supposed to do?
Thinking about it, that crazy SOB Zatman's suggestion isn't completely without merit; if he manages to clatter Torres before he reaches the box - taking the red card and free-kick - and if Barcelona then manage to defend the resulting free-kick, it's even-steven (albeit now with an outfield player in goal, but hey the game's nearly up anyway) for the dying minutes and they're still in with the slimmest of slim chances of maybe getting a goal. Like, über-slim. But still better than no chance.

The idea has merit. BUt it doesn't make you a bad keeper for not doing it.

And, as you said, he'd have run round him anyway

Maybe he sliced a few clearances, but that's the price they are willing to pay to have a goalkeeper who is such a good footballer, which Valdes undoubtedly is.
That's the crux of it, really. Valdés could probably afford to be a worse shot-stopper then he actually is and they'd still persevere with him, as his ability on the ball and general distribution suits the team's setup and approach perfectly.

I'm pretty sure that's why Fergie plumped for De Gea as his long-term keeper. He saw how far behind Barca Man Utd were in the final last year and how important even having a footballing goalkeeper is to the way they play and he wanted the same. I like Valdes (btw that Drogba shot was pretty vicious and Valdes had quite a lot of ground to make up so he had to dive imo) and it only highlights how scary the depth of talent in just about every position Spain have that he barely gets a look in.

I agree with what you say, apart from the dive on the Drogba shot. he didn't have to dive.

But that's what he does. As I said, I've noticed it in a lot of spanish keepers, and some italian as well for that matter. They make the simple look spectacular.

That's not to say they aren't good. Valdes, Casillas, Buffon, De Gea are all great keepers, but they have a tendency to do the old tip it over the bar, flick the legs back, arch the back and roll over three times when you hit the ground.

Where as a "goalkeeper's goalkeeper" like David Seaman would probably have just caught the ball in the first place and got on with it.

It's not unique to the continent, by the way. paul Robinson has been doing the same thing for years.

Valdes is not a great keeper. He's adequate.

Casillas is a keeper that would give you a heart attack watching. He's always in the way, so fair play to him, but you never feel sure with him. Perhaps it is just his demeanour. He doesn't have Hart's confidence or Neuer's 'he might smack me one if i'm not careful' physicality. He just makes everything look last ditch.

He's miles better than Valdes though.

Â