The Spanish Football/la Liga Thread

Troglodyte

Leo Messi gets a haul! Tenth hat trick (or better) of the season, which takes him to 72 goals for Barcelona in all competitions in 2011/12.

I fail to see how he can be any better than he currently is. He might hold this peak for a while longer, but what can he possibly do to get better?

That is something of a myth. Forward players tend to peak in their early to mid twenties, particularly the ones you would categorise as being geniuses. Positions where experience is more important than pace or natural talent, ie goalkeepers, centre backs and arguably defensive midfielders tend to peak later but not everybody.

scoring more than this many goals in a season will not happen again. It's suhc a ridiculous total I doubt he will improve upon it, regardless of who is manager for Barca in the future. I can see him scoring regularly 30-50 goals ( absurd enough ) but this 72 is just not going to be repeated or close to it again surely?

Other sides will simply just mark the shit out of him in the future.

Most strikers peak at 26 to 28. The only ones I can think of who peaked in their early 20s were Fat Ronaldo, although he wasnt fat when he was 20 at Barcelona, Fowler and Kluivert.

Other sides will simply just mark the shit out of him in the future.

He scored 53 goals last season and 47 the season before that. I think opposition clubs have been aware of him for a while now. How can they "mark the shit out of him" exactly? They cant kick the shit out of him any more like they could do to players of his ability/status during the 80s, 90s and to a certain extent the 00s. Personally I think the biggest factor on how he does from now on is how the next Barcelona manager decides to utilize him. He has scored 210 in 217 under Guardiola.

I just assume its impossible to improve on 72 goals in a season tbh :lol:

I have no idea, but I wonder if he's just in the perfect set up geared towards him and that can't last.

But who knows, I'd love it if he did match or even better this total, it would be insane, but i think its the fact its such a ridiculous number of goals, I assume goals will be more evenly spread in future seasons.

Most strikers peak at 26 to 28. The only ones I can think of who peaked in their early 20s were Fat Ronaldo, although he wasnt fat when he was 20 at Barcelona, Fowler and Kluivert.

Owen

True.

Van Basten.

There is no way he can improve on his goal tally. Maybe arguable his all round performances were more consistent last year and that's an area to improve. The last 15-20 games or so has been absolutely ridiculous for goals but he struggled in the earlier parts of the season away from home. Again, only scope for improvement.

Again, depending on what stats are correct, he has 28-30 assists for the season also.

That's over 100 goals directly contributed from a single player. With Guardiola gone though, I don't think we'll see quite see this amount being struck again but I do think he'll level out around 50 with 20-30 assists per season.

His hat-trick goal was beautiful by the way.

Owen

True.

The Mighty Darius Vassell.

I think Bilbao could cause a shock in the cup final. It will be closer then people think. They schooled Manchester United in March.

Would be nice but I don't see it.. they would effectively finish without proper silverware this season if they lose it and Pep is leaving so he'd want to leave on a high (winning that cup)

Anyway, found these stats which I found very impressive on Mesut Ozil..

Mesut Ozil against Atheltic notched up his 17th assist in the LigaBBVA, equaling his tally from last season. He is now one assist shy of his total tally of 25 last season, bringing his total at Real Madrid C.F. to 49 assists in just two seasons and his career club total to 97 assists at just 23 years old

Mesut Ozil has provided more assists (17) for Ronaldo than any other player. Ryan Giggs is second with 16

97 assists at 23 years old.. superb player and a joy to watch, will be nice to see him in action for euros too. Oh and he currently sits top in the assists department for Liga at 17 assists.

Would be nice but I don't see it.. they would effectively finish without proper silverware this season if they lose it and Pep is leaving so he'd want to leave on a high (winning that cup)

well if Bielsa rests his players for the cup finals and has both fresh they have a chance.

Hopefully wont be the disgraceful scenes of the final in 2009 when Spanish national anthem was booed

Â