The Spanish Football/la Liga Thread

Troglodyte

I think it is fair to say he is Barcelonas most successful manager of all time, way ahead of Johan Cruyff.

Does it make me stupid to say I don't think he's a particularly great manager/coach?

I know I'll probably get shot down completely, but he has had the fortune of having one of the best ever teams assembled at his disposal for his time as Barca coach. You can not discredit what he has won, obviously, as he has beaten what is in front of him. But this season I feel like he has made some really awful decisions regarding team selection/tactics.

I'd like to see him somewhere else to see how he does. If he wins titles/European Cups at other clubs, or takes Europa League type teams into the CL then I'll admit I'm wrong.

I think it is fair to say he is Barcelonas most successful manager of all time, way ahead of Johan Cruyff.

3 league titles

2 European Cups

2 Spanish Cups, and potentially a third one.

And a few world club cups too

As well as dominating Real Madrid over the past 4 years and recording record points totals n the league and playing incredible attaking football. There is nothing more for him to achieve, he has done it all. It is probably the right time for him to leave.

Not sure about that at all. To use an English analogy, Pep Guardiola was Bob Paisley. Johan Cruyff was Bill Shankly.

I imagine he will have a year off then come back at another club. I'd also guess that the odds of him being the next Manchester United manager have just shortened.

Does it make me stupid to say I don't think he's a particularly great manager/coach?

I know I'll probably get shot down completely, but he has had the fortune of having one of the best ever teams assembled at his disposal for his time as Barca coach. You can not discredit what he has won, obviously, as he has beaten what is in front of him. But this season I feel like he has made some really awful decisions regarding team selection/tactics.

I'd like to see him somewhere else to see how he does. If he wins titles/European Cups at other clubs, or takes Europa League type teams into the CL then I'll admit I'm wrong.

I SORT OF agree with you. Sort of.

I don't think he's a bad coach or anything, I think he's an excelllent coahc.

However, I'm nto sure he would "work" elsewhere. The reason he has done so well is because not only is he a good coach, but his style, his culture, his vision, everything matches Barcelona's exactly. Obviously because he came from within. So everything he was and wanted the club to be, matched perfectly.

Now if you were to go and plonk him in, say, the Tottenham job, I'm not sure he would be very effective. Or fi he was, it would take a long time of transition to get Spurs to anywhere near the top level.

So in a way I think you're wrong, he IS an excellent coach. However, I do agree that if you were to put him in another club he may not be as effective.

Of course I could be wrong and he'd adjust appropriately, but I don't see it.

Also worth noting his net spend over the 4 seasons he's been manager is around £150million

Assuming Real Madrid win La Liga this season, Pep has won 13 of the 18 competitions he has entered as a manager. It could well be 14/18 if Barcelona win the Copa del Rey final.

I think you should read the Guardiola tributes on the BBC website. Top names in football like Mourinho, Ferguson, Capello, Messi etc give very high to praise to him as a coach. The amount of trophies he has won is incredible even if he did have world class players.

Assuming Real Madrid win La Liga this season, Pep has won 13 of the 18 competitions he has entered as a manager. It could well be 14/18 if Barcelona win the Copa del Rey final.

At on epoint he was averaging a trophy every 15 games :D

:shock: Incredible stat. I was not aware of this. The doubters can say no more

Although privileged with some great players, let's not forget the impact he had on those careers. The likes of Messi, I'm not sure before 2008/09 many would have said moving Messi central with Eto'o and Henry either side of him and playing really without a proper CF would be the way to play considering at the time, the other two are strikers and Messi then was seen as a winger but he did.

Yes he's had the tools (I wouldn't say the team) aswell he's also spotted potentials 'tools' which others may have overlooked or quickly let go, He bought through Busquets and used him perfectly to allow him to become one of the finest holding players currently in the game. Pique one of the best CB's. He has developed players to become the best in their position and although the way of playing is ingrained into the club, I don't believe you can win so much and create one of the best teams to play the game without being a brilliant coach. I'm sure he worked as hard as anyone at making sure Barcelona were the finest team.

Season before Guardiola team Barcelona finished 3rd with 67 points. A season later, they win the league with 87 points and collect the Champions League, I think it's harsh to just say he inherited a great team, he didn't. He made a lot of very good individuals into great one's and more importantly into the best team possible.

I think to be one of the greatest ever you have to continuous success with different teams or in different era's but I do think he is a great coach and has proven that because although maybe Guardiola may not achieve what say Mourinho has and won titles across Europe, you could argue that Mourinho couldn't have achieved what Guardiola has. I won't say Guardiola will be as successful at his next club compared to Barcelona, that'd be impossible but I don't have many doubts that he'll be successful for the large majority of his career.

A great man and a great manager. Pep to Villa. :)

He revolutionised the game imo. Nobody else has developed a team that can dominate 70% of the possession against even the finest club sides in the world, and the pressing game he introduced was ingenius. This season he probably went a bit too far in trying to create a team so perfect that it only needed midfielders but I still fancy nobody other than Mourinho would have won the league ahead of Barca.

Rayo are trying their hardest to go down, arent they? They are on a run of form which makes Wolves look good, but like ourselves they might just have enough points in the bag to limp over the line. I hope they stay up, I like them purely because they were sponsored by a bee one year.

Vzssd.jpg

Now if you were to go and plonk him in, say, the Tottenham job, I'm not sure he would be very effective.

That is sort of what I mean. I don't think he's average or bad or anything, far from it. But to me a great coach can go to a number of places and have good success. That's why I feel Mourinho is the best ever, he doesn't even need 'his' players to win.. Can Guardiola go to other clubs and get instant success? I really don't think he can.

I think he's done a great job at identifying players to put in the team though. Tello and Cuenca from the ranks, Cesc (though disappointing lately) and Sanchez has been an outstanding signing.

Looks like Europe League places will go down to 8th in La Liga this season. Bilbao are guaranteed to at least lose to Barca in the Copa del Rey & that means Atletico are guaranteed to at least lose to Bilbao in the Europa League final. As both look like finishing top 7 in Spain, that pushes the 2nd EL place down to 8th which 7 other sides (though realistically 5 sides) can still claim.

Â