The Spanish Football/la Liga Thread

Troglodyte

Say what you want about Messi, but he doesn't score from outside the box like THAT every week!

He doesn't have 97 shots from outside the box every week either

And your point is painfully inconsequental. You miss 100% of the shots you don't take remember.

Ronaldo takes a lot of shots, but that is because he knows he can score from them. Are you saying Messi, or Alan Hutton for that matter, would score as many as him if they took the same amount of shots from outside the box? Messi does score the same amount of goals as Ronaldo, but Barcelona has a better team with a style suited FOR Messi. You can say that about Ronaldo as well, but their team is not as set as Barca and rely much more on individual highlights. Messi has Fabregas, Iniesta and Xavi behind him only to accomodate him, whilst Ronaldo has Benzema and Higuain to compete with up top. Higuain and Benzema have a combined 37 goals this season, whilst Alexis Sanchez has 10 as Barca's second topscorer. Villa has 5 because he is injured, but I reckon he would have been at around 20 and Messi then around 30 if he has been injury-free. We are talking about extremes here though, the two best players in the world by a countrymile. The two most extreme players the world has ever seen. Never injured, scoring every game, dominating every single time. That is the main difference I think people neglect when comparing to Maradona, Cruyff and Zidane, the fact that these guys never were able to turn up for every single game.

We are talking about the man who has the highest goalscoring record in modern times in a top tier league, who has already equalled that score with 6 or so games remaining. 40 goals in 31 games (+1 as a sub) equals 1.25 goals every single match and a lot of them are screamers. With six games remaining he will accoring to his ratio end up with 47 goals.

Sit down and enjoy instead of hating :)

I don't mind Cronaldo scoring like a mentalist, the fact him and Messi are so close to each other (in terms of league goals at least) means they're pushing each other to the limits of what is possible.

It gets said a lot and not really true but Ronaldo does turn up in big games. This was a massive game tonight

I dont understand that argument. The man has scored in champions league finals, champions league semi finals, fa cup finals, league title deciders, derby games and euro championship semi finals. You can not get much bigger then that.

It gets said a lot and not really true but Ronaldo does turn up in big games. This was a massive game tonight

I dont understand that argument. The man has scored in champions league finals, champions league semi finals, fa cup finals, league title deciders, derby games and euro championship semi finals. You can not get much bigger then that.

to be fair sky pull out the stats every now and then and I'm sure messi is close to scoring more vs the sky 4 than ronaldo is

isn't his la liga scoring record something like a goal every 84 minutes but his scoring record vs barca every 367 minutes?

In the last 5 years I've seen ronaldinho and messi clapped off at the bernabeau, can anyone say they've seen ronaldo come anywhere near anything like it?

Nobody is going to score every 84 minutes v Barca. His scoring record v them isn't actually that bad. This season he's got 3 against them and last season he scored twice, including one in the cup final. No idea why he gets so much shit, if it wasn't for Messi hed easily be the best in the world by far.

to be fair sky pull out the stats every now and then and I'm sure messi is close to scoring more vs the sky 4 than ronaldo is

stats dont tell everything considering Messi got most/all but 1 of his goals vs Arsenal who had a reserve defence vs him in 1 game he got 4

Both Messi and Ronaldo have 41 league goals this season, dont they? Ten clubs in the Premier League haven't managed to score that amount so far, including ourselves and Liverpool.

For me a lot of Ronadlo hate/criticism started in 2006 World Cup. If he didnt do the wink he get a lot more praise from media

He wasn't exactly Mr Popular before that though with his diving. I think Ronaldo thrives on the need to be disliked and show he's the best thing since sliced cheese (and know it) unlike Messi who seems to not really care that much either way. He is a truly great player though. Question, do people think Ronaldo's better than Maradona?

To say Ronaldo doesn't do it in big games is harsh although I do think when you watch them (messi and ronaldo) on the same pitch, Messi just seems the more complete footballer, although helped by the fact Barca dominate the ball but Ronaldo doesn't help himself by taking on ridiculous shots any time he's within 40 yards of the Barca goal.

I will lose respect for Mourinho if they sit back next week. Although it was 2-2, it's been shown they can beat Barcelona if they go at them, press high and dominate physically. I hope he just doesn't sit back and allow Barca to dominate. It will play into Barca's hands and although I'm supporting Barca obviously, it just makes for a shit game.

To say Ronaldo doesn't do it in big games is harsh although I do think when you watch them (messi and ronaldo) on the same pitch, Messi just seems the more complete footballer, although helped by the fact Barca dominate the ball but Ronaldo doesn't help himself by taking on ridiculous shots any time he's within 40 yards of the Barca goal.

it might be but for me if put them in any team in world Ronaldo would do more damage. If they played for Stoke and WBA respectively id say Ronaldo would do more damage than MEssi

it might be but for me if put them in any team in world Ronaldo would do more damage. If they played for Stoke and WBA respectively id say Ronaldo would do more damage than MEssi

I honestly couldn't say, there are so many factors to be taken into consideration. It's impossible, we only see him week in week out working with Barcelona, his whole style of play is based around how Barcelona set up but that then also doesn't mean he couldn't adapt.

What makes Ronaldo a player that you know for definite would do more than Messi at Stoke/WBA for example? (well to be fair, I'll give you Stoke!) but for example West Brom. What, because he's scored in the Premiership before? Of course he has, he's a phenomenal goal getter and played for the best team in England and at the time, the world in 2007/08, supplied by Tevez, Rooney, Giggs, Scholes etc.. that's not down playing his achievements but of course someone like Ronaldo is going to score a tremendous amount of goals in a team like that, in his last two seasons in English football he scored 49 league goals in 67 games (Compared to 81 in 67 at Real last two seasons). Down a fair bit so he like Messi is the beneficiary of a team with such dominance.

It's easy to just say 'Messi needs more of the ball than Ronaldo' but how do we know that's true? Messi just plays in a team that has lots of the ball so he doesn't have to adapt. (by the way, both Messi/Ronaldo have fairly similar international records so you can't point to that as some sort of evidence for Ronaldo ...) Key point being he's never had to adapt to a team that'd have less of the ball in plenty of games and be backs to the walls rather than constantly playing in the opposition half and to some extent, nor really has Ronaldo. You could even argue with a team that has less of the ball, they can provide more chances on the break. Messi has 10 individual goals to Ronaldo's 1 this season according to stats (I think that goes down to dribbles I.e two goals vs Malaga, Athletico Madrid at home goals...etc..) but point being, we all talk about Messi needing the ball more but what about on the break, I know if an attack is 3 on 3 and I had a player dribbling with the ball from the half way line, I'd want it to be Messi over Ronaldo. Meanwhile of course, a team that can lack creativity and just swing a few crosses in, for those moments you'd want someone like Ronaldo in the box over Messi for his excellent ability in the air.

I'm not choosing either play but it's always something that does come up that Ronaldo would be better in a weaker team but quite frankly we will never know and I don't think it's fair to say with ease which one you'd pick based on reasoning which will be used by most I imagine that I think I've highlighted.

Simply we'll never know. :)

Â