The Spanish Football/la Liga Thread

Troglodyte

But it was stupid to appoint a ref from Zaragoza for the game!

Agreed. It gives people unnecessary and all-too-convenient ammunition for a conspiracy theory.

Exactly. It would be like appointing a manager from Bolton to ref the QPR game on Sunday. It wouldn't effect the result (you would think) but it wouldn't stop peoplefrom saying it did.

The Rossi injury really fcuked them up as they still had decent midfielders like Cani, Senna and Marchena but nobody to really score.

Happy for my Spainish team Rayo though even if it took a bleeding Tamudo 92nd minute winner to get safe!

Jammy cnuts at Zaragoza though, bit of a wigan about them as they were dead and buried and bottom at the start of March and yet somehow won 8 of their last 11 games to stay up.

Strange league La Liga, the top 2 are usually miles ahead yet the 3rd bottom team is usually relegated on 40 + prem which is more than the prem usually is.

It's incredibly difficult for them though Zatman. This is a team that 15 years ago didn't even have full time professional players and are from a town of 50,000 people and average about 20k gates. What they've achieved in the last ten years has been nothing short of a miracle.

Mass Exodus at Villareal now, they struggled to hold players last summer with Santi and Capdevila going. Borja was being tracked by Madrid and Barca last season, I just think

They might struggle to get back to The top division now. Such a shame after a meteoric rise.

Deportivo is similar structure and they have got back up 1st time of asking. Also as he is injured Rossi might stick around for a few months.

Interestingly their B team is in 2nd division so will be demoted but add them with a few of La Liga plaeyrs and should go up

Its about the size of blackburn isn't it? or smaller.

just checked wiki and its says they have half the population than Blackburn

villarreal 51,367

blackburn :105,085

A lot of these clubs that are based in these small towns do struggle..of course Villarreal are bigger than BB, but you get my point.

I think they will be alright to be honest. They should get good money for their players to re-invest. Also because they have such small income due to size, what income they do get goes into the youth academy and the B team. They have one of the best B teams in Spain.

They will be able to bring through youth now they are playing in Segunda. It might take 2 or 3 years but they will definitely get back into La Liga.

A major problem this year was the changing of managers. They have had 3 different coaches this season. That's never going to work out well.

--------

In other news, my local club Málaga are in the Champions League. So happy for them. Rondon is an absolute beast and Cazorla is a fantastic player. They can only go from strength to strength now due being bankrolled by a Qatari.

--------

And one last mention for Atlético Madrid, Simeone has done an amazing job there. According to Wiki he has won 18 of 30 games since taking over in December. Unfortunate to miss out on CL. Would rather have seen them & Málaga than Valencia to be honest. And I love Falcao as a player. Think he is fantastic. 24 goals in Liga, not to mention all the Europa League goals. Hard going to replace Aguero but he managed it. Oh and Courtois is a great goalkeeper. Chelsea done well there.

I fear for Villareal. The only thing going for them is the relative prestige of their name thanks to their recent history. Nothing else about them makes them a Primera side. The town, the stadium, the attendances. Given that most clubs in Spain are in debt at the best of times, I think they could do the Spanish equivalent of a Portsmouth. Things like bringing through the youth are solutions available to every club in Segunda so that's not really an advantage.

Odds are they will have one of the strongest squads in Segunda so their best chance is to come straight back up. Otherwise I think they might be there for a good while.

Â