The Spanish Football/la Liga Thread

Troglodyte

18 minutes ago, duke313 said:

Just seen Malaga have been relegated to the 3rd tier.  Were they not in the CL a few years ago?

They were, Qatari owner seemed to stop caring after 3/4 seasons

9 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Hoping the abu dhabi owners at city will eventually 

Well if they do the treble then really what is left to achieve?

The sports washing will have served its purpose and they can just wander off into the sunset hopefully.

34 minutes ago, S-Platt said:

Well if they do the treble then really what is left to achieve?

The sports washing will have served its purpose and they can just wander off into the sunset hopefully.

Having created a mega running cost for the next person to inherit. 

16 minutes ago, Genie said:

Having created a mega running cost for the next person to inherit. 

Just run the club within its means rather than cheat maybe 😜 

Just now, S-Platt said:

Just run the club within its means rather than cheat maybe 😜 

Yep, and to do that they’ll have to shut down a shit load of the local infrastructure they’ve built all around the stadium (plus obviously the substitutes who are paid £10m a year to do nothing).

Must admit I'm enjoying Spain proving how outrageously systematically racist it is again :)  Very sorry for the shit Vinicius Junior is going through though.

• Like 2

I agree, @BOF, it's systemic in Spain, but I think the grim reality of what has actually happened in Spain offers no schadenfreude for me, only sadness and disgust. It's just too much. I did enjoy seeing some of the arrested racists being frogmarched by Spanish police. I won't link that here, because it also shows the horrifying hanging effigy, but it's on El País. If anything, I'm amazed that Vinicius Jr. held it together as well as he did because he has been openly threatened with violence constantly. I know I couldn't handle that. It's just gutting. 

I know England has its own serious problems (and don't get me started on where I live, in America), but I do think it's way ahead of Spain. I imagine in the long run these incidents will erode Spanish football and benefit leagues in countries where the racism isn't as bad?

Edited by Marka Ragnos

1 minute ago, Marka Ragnos said:

I agree, @BOF, it's systemic in Spain, but I think the grim reality of what has actually happened in Spain offers no schadenfreude for me, only sadness and disgust. It's just too much. I did enjoy seeing some of the arrested racists being frogmarched by Spanish police. I won't link that here, because it also shows the horrifying hanging effigy, but it's on El País. If anything, I'm amazed that Vinicius Jr. held it together as well as he did because he has been openly threatened with violence constantly. I know I couldn't handle that. It's just gutting. 

Could we see Vinicius leave? If he left if would kind of letting the racists win, but on the other hand he would be a lot more appreciated in the PL or at somewhere like PSG or Bayern.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, duke313 said:

Could we see Vinicius leave? If he left if would kind of letting the racists win, but on the other hand he would be a lot more appreciated in the PL or at somewhere like PSG or Bayern.

So, funny, I was just adding that concept on my post. Absolutely. I think he would be happier in England.

• Like 1

Whilst I agree there’s less racism here he’ll still be targeted. He’s done the one thing that should be avoided where possible, let them know they’ve hurt you. There’s enough dick heads here to ruin things for him.

Spain, 20 years plus behind the times, same as Italy.

Always baffled me why some of the world's best players still go there bearing in mind its not the best paid place to work and the conditions abuse wise must be horrific. 

3 minutes ago, brummybloke said:

Spain, 20 years plus behind the times, same as Italy.

Always baffled me why some of the world's best players still go there bearing in mind its not the best paid place to work and the conditions abuse wise must be horrific. 

It's is you go to Barca, Real or Atletico. And those clubs are massive. Man City and Chelsea might pay big salaries but they are nothing clubs who just happened to struck gold (or oil).

Fully get why players want to go to Madrid and even Barca.

1 minute ago, sne said:

It's is you go to Barca, Real or Atletico. And those clubs are massive. Man City and Chelsea might pay big salaries but they are nothing clubs who just happened to struck gold (or oil).

Fully get why players want to go to Madrid and even Barca.

The amounts paid to the top players are so big, an extra 5 million a year would make zero difference to me if I was still pocketing 20 million per season. 

1 minute ago, brummybloke said:

The amounts paid to the top players are so big, an extra 5 million a year would make zero difference to me if I was still pocketing 20 million per season. 

Yeah but Ronaldo still went to Saudi Arabia and he's worth billions.

13 minutes ago, brummybloke said:

Would you rather live in Barcelona or Manchester?

For the south Americans its fairly obvious they're linguistically and culturally far closer to home than say England or Germany

Would also say that even for kids now barca and Madrid are the world's 2 biggest teams, seems a continuous cycle that

I think they also have a cycle of the world's most iconic players, from Zidane to Ronaldinho, Ronaldo, messi going back to cruyff, are there really that many kids in Brazil right now with posters of Kevin de Bruyne on the wall? Or even europe for that matter... I do think Haaland is the first real megastar city have signed, Chelsea maybe hazard, arsenal Henry, utd Ronaldo I don't think the PL actually has that many iconic global superstars, hence the lack of ballon dor winners, 6 winners from the English league in nearly 70 years, it's largely a popularity contest but as a guide it shows the PL doesnt have that global star

12 hours ago, brummybloke said:

People very quickly adjust to the higher levels of wealth and then start looking around comparing themselves to others who have even more and think why don't I have that.

It's even worse with people who have genuinely high wealth as that can come to define who they are. 

Â