The Spanish Football/la Liga Thread

Troglodyte

13 hours ago, brummybloke said:

The amounts paid to the top players are so big, an extra 5 million a year would make zero difference to me if I was still pocketing 20 million per season. 

I think that if you pocketed 20 million a year you might have a different view on it. 

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, sne said:

Another hero retires. 

Without being too cliche, an utterly electric winger and dribbler. Loved watching him at the Euros in 2004 even if Spain were a disaster - but I do remember being robbed against South Korea in 2002 which I believe was his debut tournament. Incredible that he played at the highest level in Spain until he was 41. 

Edited by The_Steve
  • Like 1

622 games in La Liga, tied the all time record (with Andoni Zubizarreta) in his final game. 488 of those were with Betis. Since Betis is the team I follow in Spain he'll always have a huge place for me. Remember when he came though back in the day and have always followed him even when he moved to Valencia & Fiorentina (and Malaga)

23 seasons at top level when you include his Italian adventure. Just a lovely guy who I hope will be club president one day.

• Like 1

Barca played a friendly against Vissel Kobe today, in Japan. 2 days after their final league game of the season. Must have been inspiring. 

A Iniesta celebration game which is nice but still.

• 1 month later...
11 minutes ago, Genie said:

I didn’t watch it but a couple of reports I saw this morning said that Bellingham was amazing in his debut last night.

That team they have now at Real is brilliant, blending youth and experience. Bellingham fits in perfectly, his game is going to go up another notch, learning off Kroos and Modric, and then supplying Vini Jr

• Like 1

Bellingham with 2 incredible performances in 2 games for Real Madrid. Man of the match in their 2-0 win over Man United and got a goal too.

To think he cost less than Declan Rice, and only a bit more than Mason Mount is hilariously bad business by Arsenal and MU.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, sne said:

Coutinho, Dembelé & Griezman signed for a combined €395m + agent fees and what not and sold for a combined €90m + loan fees and what not. Top stuff.

and add on top what that one barca director said "these guys cant even sell a sock"

• Haha 1

On 27/07/2023 at 08:14, Genie said:

Bellingham with 2 incredible performances in 2 games for Real Madrid. Man of the match in their 2-0 win over Man United and got a goal too.

To think he cost less than Declan Rice, and only a bit more than Mason Mount is hilariously bad business by Arsenal and MU.

"Only a bit more than Mason Mount" is just a little bit disingenuous :D 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Paedo scandal at Real Madrid - whilst the legal age is similar to hear distributing content of a 16 year old is still that of a minor 🤮

"Spanish police have arrested three unnamed Real Madrid reserve players for allegedly distributing a sexual video featuring a minor, with the arrests heightening the furore about sexism and male behaviour in Spanish football.

The players, who are not minors, were released following a court decision and after the data on their mobile phones was seized, police said in a statement on Thursday."

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2023/sep/14/three-real-madrid-players-arrested-for-alleged-sexual-video-involving-minor

4 minutes ago, The_Steve said:

Paedo scandal at Real Madrid - whilst the legal age is similar to hear distributing content of a 16 year old is still that of a minor 🤮

"Spanish police have arrested three unnamed Real Madrid reserve players for allegedly distributing a sexual video featuring a minor, with the arrests heightening the furore about sexism and male behaviour in Spanish football.

The players, who are not minors, were released following a court decision and after the data on their mobile phones was seized, police said in a statement on Thursday."

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2023/sep/14/three-real-madrid-players-arrested-for-alleged-sexual-video-involving-minor

7z7x0i.jpg

• Haha 1

For the first time since 2018, Las Palmas returned to the top flight of Spanish football after they secured automatic promotion from Segunda last season. However, it has been a tough start to the current campaign for the Canary side, as they are winless from their opening four matches.

They are hoping to break that run on Sunday as they take on Sevilla, another team that has yet to win this season. However, Las Palmas’ preparations for the match have been far from ideal.

As reported by Marca, 15 players and two physios missed the team’s original flight to Seville on Saturday. This is because their plane was initially delayed, before boarding was brought forward. It means that the 17 personnel, who were in the cafeteria area of the airport when boarding closed, were too late to get on the flight.

https://www.football-espana.net/2023/09/17/15-las-palmas-players-miss-flight-to-sevilla-following-boarding-mishap

• 2 months later...

Another Catalan club too.   Girona is nowhere near as big a city as Barcelona,  but it can probably consider a million people to be in it's catchment area and a lot of those would historically be Barca fans.   It's not a romantic story if Girona win the league obviously, but it's an interesting one. 

Also: Bellingham keeps scoring.  It's absurd just how prolific he's been this season: 

image.png.dec90e8936b07d58a791c163c9f83645.png

12 goals in 14 appearances in La Liga.  4 in 4 in the Champions League.  16 in 18 for Real Madrid overall, with 4 assists.   He's 20 years old. 

Edited by The_Rev

Â