The Spanish Football/la Liga Thread

Troglodyte

Thread revival. 

Ter Stegen is a pretty decent goalie, isn’t he? Watching Barca clinging on to a 1-0 lead at home to Celta Vigo, and honestly ter Stegen has saved four or five sitters. Class.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Great win for my Spanish team yesterday, little Rayo Vallecano, in one of the other Madrid derbies (one of the lower key ones). 3-2 v Real! It was at home and admittedy Rayo's stadium is small, like Selhurst Park, but still, this is a bit embarrassing for one of the Real players:

"Real only managed two shots on target - with one particularly wild effort from Federico Valverde sailing out of the stadium and into the balcony of a nearby apartment" (From the BBC).

Edited by robby b
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, robby b said:

Great win for my Spanish team yesterday, Rayo Vallecano, in the other Madrid derby. 3-2 v Real! It was at home and admittedy Rayo's stadium is small, like Selhirst Park only maybe a bit smaller, but still, the following is embarrassing for one of the Real players:

"Real only managed two shots on target - with one particularly wild effort from Federico Valverde sailing out of the stadium and into the balcony of a nearby apartment" (From the BBC).

Trying to do a Saka

• Like 1

9 hours ago, robby b said:

Great win for my Spanish team yesterday, Rayo Vallecano, in the other Madrid derby. 3-2 v Real! It was at home and admittedy Rayo's stadium is small, like Selhirst Park only maybe a bit smaller, but still, the following is embarrassing for one of the Real players:

Great choice. Los Bukaneros 🤝

• Thanks 1

Osasuna - Barca was a cracking game. Barca played with 10 men for much of the game, falling behind 1-0. The home team really had deserved to get something from the game with an impressive performance, but Barca came back to win it. Barca have been widely ridiculed for their CL failure, but they are top of the league with a fairly convincing record. 

Athletic returned to winning ways with a convincing 3-0 home win over Valladolid. They’re fun to watch when they click, Athletic. Nico Williams is a great talent and his brother is underrated. 

Just now, El Zen said:

Great choice. Los Bukaneros 🤝

🙂  It's because I lived in a flatshare for five months in Vallecas, just down the road from Rayo's stadium and I used to walk past it sometimes.

I could have been a glory hunter and chosen Real or gone for 'Atleti', who occasionally win something, but I like rooting for underdogs and Rayo were my local team.

Edited by robby b

4 minutes ago, robby b said:

🙂  It's because I lived in a flatshare for five months in Vallecas, just down the road from Rayo's stadium and I used to walk past it sometimes.

I could have been a glory hunter and chosen Real or gone for 'Atleti', who occasionally win something, but I like rooting for underdogs and Rayo were my local team.

Good!

They’re a very likeable club, is my impression. The strong left wing and antifa ties are obviously a big plus for me ✊😉

• Like 1

Just now, El Zen said:

Good!

They’re a very likeable club, is my impression. The strong left wing and antifa ties are obviously a big plus for me ✊😉

And anyway, just before I lived in Madrid, in 2013, I think I was already starting to feel a little fed up/bored with Real winning so many trophies and having so much money! And I think some of the Real fans were disrespectful and ungrateful towards Gareth Bale, after he'd played so well for them, helping them to win several trophies with his many goals.

Edited by robby b
  • Like 1

Just now, El Zen said:

Osasuna - Barca was a cracking game. Barca played with 10 men for much of the game, falling behind 1-0. The home team really had deserved to get something from the game with an impressive performance, but Barca came back to win it. Barca have been widely ridiculed for their CL failure, but they are top of the league with a fairly convincing record. 

Athletic returned to winning ways with a convincing 3-0 home win over Valladolid. They’re fun to watch when they click, Athletic. Nico Williams is a great talent and his brother is underrated. 

Hey El Zen, I wonder if Unai is an Athletic Bilbao fan. 🤔 I just remembered that Bilbao is in the Basque Country.

5 hours ago, robby b said:

Hey El Zen, I wonder if Unai is an Athletic Bilbao fan. 🤔 I just remembered that Bilbao is in the Basque Country.

Don’t know. He grew up closer to Donastia  and was a youth player for La Real, though.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, robby b said:

And anyway, just before I lived in Madrid, in 2013, I think I was already starting to feel a little fed up/bored with Real winning so many trophies and having so much money! And I think some of the Real fans were disrespectful and ungrateful towards Gareth Bale, after he'd played so well for them, helping them to win several trophies with his many goals.

Bale only signed in 2013 😉 the fans/ media turn was about 2019 though

4 hours ago, Zatman said:

Bale only signed in 2013 😉 the fans/ media turn was about 2019 though

Yes, I just meant that a few years ago I wrnt off Real a little more still, because of some fans' feud with Bale, after he'd made such a big effort for them for a long time.

On 09/10/2022 at 21:52, El Zen said:

Thread revival. 

Ter Stegen is a pretty decent goalie, isn’t he? Watching Barca clinging on to a 1-0 lead at home to Celta Vigo, and honestly ter Stegen has saved four or five sitters. Class.

Shame had to spend whole career in Neuer's shadow, like a lot of great Italian keepers in the 90's and Spanish ones behind Casillas in the 00's

• Like 1

2 hours ago, villa4europe said:

pique got sent off at half time in his final game

he was on the subs bench at the time

Sent off for calling the ref (and his mom) all kinds of nasty things, allegedly. 

Bet he doesn’t regret it for a second. Must have felt cathartic as faaaaaaak! 😅

18 minutes ago, El Zen said:

Sevilla - La Real on the menu tonight. Should be good. 

Well, I wasn’t wrong. La Real took an early lead and the home side have since been reduced to 9 (!) men. We’ve only played 35! 

And now it’s 0-2. 

How many can La Real get?

Edited by El Zen

Â